Got an Offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by usfmeghi, Jun 28, 2007.

1. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 28, 2007

I got back from my intewrview today around 3:30 and at around 5, I get a call about a job offer, pending references!

I love this school...

but the only thing I don't like is the pay is significantly lower than other districts...

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 28, 2007

Sometimes the atmosphere of a school makes up for the pay cut.

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 28, 2007

Congratulations!!!!!!
    :)

5. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Well, they gave me a tour of the school and I did feel very comfortable...low income (which is good for my APLE) but high-performing.

Something to think about though.

I'm thrilled though. It's a grade 2 which is one of my favorite grades. I was hoping for grade 1 or 2

6. Deb06

Deb06 Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Second grade is my favorite, too! Congratulations! :)

7. annafish

annafish Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Congrats! You must be relieved. 2nd Grade is a great age:)

8. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Yeah:)

I absolutely love second grade.

9. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Congrats...It's a great feeling to get that monkey off your back.

10. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 28, 2007

To be honest I was really surprised to get the call. They are still interviewing tomorrow and when I asked on the timeline, he told me next week, no later than Friday.

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jun 28, 2007

Having a family I know what you mean by looking at the paycut!! Something to think about though is how competitive it is in your area and how many more chances you think you will get. If you think you have a good chance at another job, then by all means don't lock yourself in. However, too many people on this board talk about how very hard it is to even get a job. If that is anything remotely close to what it is like in your district, you may want to take the job and run (kissing the ground when you have a chance).

12. tiramisu

tiramisu Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Congrats! Best of luck with everything.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

Congratulations!

You mentioned that the pay is less than you'd like, but what about the benefits? I don't get a huge paycheck, but we have outstanding benefits here which add on an extra 15 or 20k.

14. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 28, 2007

usf...don't despair! I took my first job two years ago, in the lowest-paying district around here. But since then, the union efforts have kicked in, I increased my units, and I'm now making over $5K more than when I started.

My personal philosophy is that when I'm doing what I should be doing, God takes care of the rest. There have been some rough financial moments transitioning from a better-paying career, but I have never gone hungry! I can live without a few frozen yogurt treats or movies in order to do what I love!! And it will get better!!

15. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Thanks.. Well I'm already at the highest end for a first year teacher I have an MA and 80 credits above my BA. Most dostricts here, don;t make a deal with the MA.. It;s the credits beyond that gives you the increase. MA get a stipend.

The benefits is one thing I'm going to talk to HR... I know a district (which is just starting preliminary interviewing...district wide.. I got onto their eligibility list) pays pretty high, but they only pay for dental and vision...some districts which pay the standard, have all three.

It's hard for me to tell on the competetiveness... It;s not like southern CA here...I think its a bit easier up north... and the districts here do most of their hiring in July and August. (I'm applying all over the state where I wouldnt go crazy... basically the only part of CA I'm avoiding is centarl CA..inland,north of Sacramento and anywhere rural) so that is a lot of districts.. I didnt get a job in the district I subbed for. Got ONE interview.. its like they say.. I was a GOOD sub..

Thanks for the tips... I'm excited but I want to make the RIGHT choice...the pay cut is just something I need to take into consideration;)

16. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 28, 2007

Congratulations!! After all of your hard work, it's paid off!

Side question... What do you mean about needing to take the "pay cut" into consideration?? Are you currently working some place that pays more or are you looking at a "pay cut" as being comparison(s) between other districts??

17. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 29, 2007

It is only this particular county that has some districts that pay this low. I know it doesnt seem high when compared to other states....but well this is CA...

All the other counties I have applied to have higher pay. Also, I am paying back student loans....so.. basically it's just something to think about is all when I make my final decision.

Northern CA isn't as tight of a job market as Southern CA...it's just the interview process generally starts later. I know this from friends who got jobs last year and the fact a few districts I applied to are finished internal interviewing and completeing/starting preliminary interviewing.

As thrilled as I am and probably will take it as there are a lot of other positives to it, I want to think about it all carefully....

18. srh

srh Devotee

Jun 29, 2007

usf...I'm in Central Cal, and I love it (hope you just have an aversion to heat and fog, and not the area in general!). Have lived here for over 30 years now. Compared to other areas of the state, yes, we have lower salaries, but we also have a very decent standard of living compared to the bay area (where I was raised) and SoCal (which is just ridiculous). Also, within 1-3 hours, depending on the direction you go, you can get to the mountains, the beach, or SoCal and amusement parks! I consider it the best of three worlds! But we do have that summer heat!! We're looking at triple digits for this week...

I am also paying back over $30K in student loans, and just squeaked by in qualifying for APLE. They just made my first payment, in fact. You do need to consider EVERYTHING in your decision; I just wanted to make a positive statement about Central Cal! :-D

19. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 29, 2007

Thanks!

It's not Central Cali in general i dislike... just some parts. (and yes the intense heat) I lived in Gilroy and went crazy because it is so agricultural and rural... and I hated SF because it was TOO urban.

I;m really an suburban kind of girl. I like being near a big city, but not in a very rural area either.

I think more so, whi I don't like Central Cal is that I don't have any family there.. I have family in Southern CA, and Northern;)

It's good to know you like it so much:)

I guess because I grew up in Oregon, Northern CA is so much like OR in fact (except the standard of living) which is why I like it.

20. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 29, 2007

Congrats on your offer! I know that pay is a big consideration, but if you think you won't get any other offers, a job is a job. Last year I didn't take an offer because it was my first offer and I felt weird. I missed out on teach my favorite subject. I also didn't get asked back to the only other school to offer me a job.

So, this year I'm taking the first offer I get. Even if it means that I have to break a contract if/when I get another offer.

21. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Jun 29, 2007

Get the experience, once you have a year behind you, then you can pick the pay and county you want! Enjoy your summer planning for your 2nd graders!

22. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jun 29, 2007

I agree with the changingtabl...

Get the experience, you can always keep looking else where as long as you have a job. I love 2nd grade too. Good luck next year!