got an iPad for my classroom - what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 23, 2013

I know this sounds silly, but I have no clue what to do with the iPad. I'm glad I got one, I want to learn to incorporate it into my lessons.
    The tech guy installed it today and will be back tomorrow to show me some basic things, but I need to figure out what I can do with it.
    The only things come up in searches is what students can do with an iPad, but I'm the only one with it.

I teach English, and basically we're reading stories from the Hold textbook. I take about 2 weeks with each story. My classes as short, 48 minutes. We spend time on vocabulary, background of the story, quickwrite, etc. Read, discuss, answer questions (students write them down). We write an 11 sentence paragraph as a literary response and then have a test. If I have left over time I include some grammar.
    Currently I use a Powerpoint, projector and laptop connected to it.

In my geography class we go off of the text book. I hate the textbook, it's not even high school level, and it doesn't have any good maps. I think I can use the iPad more with this, but I still don't know what I'm looking for.

How does an iPad fit into this picture and how can it improve it / change it?
    Also another thing, it was installed by using my desktop computer, but's not connected to the projector, the laptop is. Does that even make a difference?

Someone educate me, please!!

3. iheartscience

iheartscience Rookie

Apr 24, 2013

We have class sets of iPads, but I don't have a set yet (just started this semester) so I often have nothing but my own personal iPad. I use it most of the time for Splashtop, which is a program that mirrors your computer screen onto your iPad. It will work for any computer that has the program installed and synced. Being able to stand in the back of the room or rotate through the room to see how quickly students are answering questions or discussing diagrams and then being able to change the slide or webpage without going back to my computer is amazing.

I also use it a lot for quick searches- for example, today we were talking about tardigrades. Instead of sitting down at my computer, looking for an answer, picking up the computer and carrying it around or turning the projector on, etc I could search for a picture while standing in front of the class and easily turn it around to show them, all while continuing to talk.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 12, 2013

The IT guy came in and showed me how to use it, gave me all my passwords, etc. I love technology, and I want to use this iPad, but honestly I don't see what benefit it has.
    - can't do anything on it that will show on the projector, unless I actually attach the cord from the projector, because it's not wireless. I have a laptop set up for that.
    - So there is nothing I can do for the kids, the only thing there is for me to do is to take attendance. This would be ok, because sometimes I have kids come in late, and then I have to change the 'absent' to 'trardy', but it makes no sense to carry the iPad around for that, and the IT guy said the software we use for attendance will probably not work with it!

So, seriously, I have no clue what to do. I also have a desktop computer in addition to the laptop.

If it could be wirelessly hooked up to the projector, I could do everything with it, but since it can be hardwired only, it's nothing :(

5. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 12, 2013

The type of network we currently have, does not support Apple products so I have the same problem of not being able to project it on my Promethean board. Still, I have found an abundance ways of using my iPad in the classroom. It has made my life much easier. I have an app called , Goodread I use often for doc I need to refer to on the fly such as state standards. I also have students use it when either I just found something we can use instantly or can't get a hard copy. I also have downloaded apps for reference material for the kids such as dictionaries and numerous apps for content practice and research. While I'm using my own, I allow my students to use it all the time. I've had them use it to create their end of unit performance indicator and its been very successful. They've created amazing presentations and videos.

The sky is the limited on the endless uses it serves as an additional tool and resource for the teacher and the students. Here's a blog on a teacher's experience using it in the classroom.

http://teachinglikeits2999.blogspot.com/p/amazing-apps.html

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 12, 2013

I'll check out that link, thank you!
    I think if I had ipads for student use, I could find a lot of ways for them to use it, but it's only for me. That's the main problem. the ipad does not seem to bring anything new to the table, that I already don't have.

7. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

May 12, 2013

You can hook up the ipad wirelessly to the projector with an Apple TV. That's what I have in my classroom and I love it. I use my ipad for almost everything. I write on my ipad which projects onto the screen. I also use a lot of educational apps as well.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

May 12, 2013

You can also set up the iPad using Air Display. If you enable mirror mode then whatever shows up on your laptop would show up on the iPad. So if your laptop is connected to your projector, the iPad will be also. I take notes on the iPad and it shows up on the board using the projector.

It's kind of like making a low tech smartboard with the iPad. I know I watched a video of how to do it. If you are interested tell me and I will try and find it:)

9. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

May 13, 2013

If your network at school does not support Apple this wont work. Check with IT before investing in one.