Got an interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mego65, May 10, 2010.

1. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 10, 2010

Well I got the call today offering me an interview. I first wanted to jump up and down and then I heard all the details. It is in the farthest away district I am applying to (45 minutes) and then it is for a life skills position, which I decided I would get the cert for this year to make me more marketable. I just feel bad if it was in another month I would still be super excited, but this early in the season just not sure what to do. But, I will go to the interview and ask lots of questions and see where it goes from there.

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 10, 2010

That's exactly the right attitude to have. First, you get to learn more about them to see whether the place would be a good fit for you. Second, it's going to take some time after the interview for them to make a decision. Maybe something better will come along then?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 10, 2010

mego~are you in TX now or still in Cali? I'd say absolutely go to the interview, if nothing else than for practice.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

May 10, 2010

Definitely go and then see how it feels. My commute is about 40 minutes and most days it doesn't bother me. Sure a 10 minute commute would be nice, but I can deal. In my mind anything less than an hour is doable. Best of luck with the interview.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 10, 2010

Good luck! I agree that going and seeing how everything goes is best.

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 10, 2010

I'm in Texas and I have an hour commute now. I am looking for a school that is a better fit to me and was wanting something a bit closer.

8. mego65

mego65 Comrade

May 11, 2010

Well the interview went great. I met with the head of special services and she said the next step would be for me to meet with the principal and ask him any questions I may have. I still am just not sure if I want it. It sounds like a good position, but it is for special education, which I have not done before and it is about an hour away. Normally I would take it, except that my dream school posted a job last week. I would hate to take this position and then get a call from my dream school. Well, I will just have to wait and see what happens.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

May 11, 2010

Life Skills is a great position! You should find out more about the class, you never know - it might be a great opportunity for you!

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 11, 2010

Sounds good!! Whatever is meant to be, will meant to be!!

11. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

May 12, 2010

Sometimes opportunity knocks, but we are too busy to answer the door. Find out more about the position; it could be a door opening to a whole new path!

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 12, 2010

I agree...go and see what happens. I'm going on an interview that is 30 minutes away (I bet the commute will be longer than what mapquest says) but if I get the job, I'll listen to audio books. It really does make the time go by quickly. :)

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 12, 2010

Great attitude!:)

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 12, 2010

Funny thing about those dream school openings.... There are usually about 200 others dreaming of that same job. Some of those "others" have been subbing there and have an automatic in. Can you still get the dream job? Sure, anything is possible and NOTHING is probable. But should the chance of a real job, in a real school open up, I would think long and hard about waiting on a dream. I can understand your problem. I faced something similar my first year. I ended up taking a job 45 minutes from my home. I stayed there for several years before leaving to go to a district close to my home. But what I found out was that I gained some of the most valuable and insightful learning at this little school and in the end I am still using that knowledge and training to guide my teaching today. BTW, I was offered a job at my dream school 3 days after I accepted my first position. It would have been good, but in the end, I was in a great place with wonderful friends that I still have today.:cool::rolleyes::)

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 12, 2010

My job is 40-45 mins away...totally doable. :) Glad it went well! Hope you hear something good soon!