Got a verbal offer. Is it okay to still interview at the same district?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heather002, Jul 6, 2016.

1. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016

I applied to several districts, but I've got emails and calls about interviews only from schools in this one district. Then, I got a verbal job offer from one of them and told them that I would take it. Now, I've been waiting for them to send me the official offer for 2 weeks, and I'm worried :( I want to keep interviewing just in case, but I still don't get any interviews from other districts. So I was wondering if it's okay for me to interview for other schools in the same district even after I said yes to the offer. Thanks!

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2016

If it isn't in writing, it hasn't happened. Go ahead and keep interviewing. If you get a written offer from another school before you get one from the first school, give them a courtesy call to see what might be going on.

4. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 6, 2016

Most advice I've heard is to keep interviewing until you have your contract.
    Have you been in contact with the principal? They may be able to ease your worries if they have an idea about when HR will contact you.
    I accepted a verbal offer and didn't receive my paperwork and contract for like three weeks. I was in contact with the principal the whole time, so I wasn't too worried!

Best of luck.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2016

Same district? I think no. At least tell the person who calls you that you've already been offered a job in school A in district. Most likely the pay scale and work conditions are similar. Unless it's a matter of a grade level where you would be a better fit, I'd leave it alone. Administrators talk. Those in the same district, Yeah, wouldn't mess with that.

Srhhwtt and readingrules12 like this.
  6. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016

I haven't been in contact with the principal, but I talked to a lady who's in charge of hiring new teachers at school last week, and she just told me to wait.. Thanks for your reply!

7. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 6, 2016

No problem! Just remember, the hiring process can be a slow one!

8. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Jul 6, 2016

Be careful and check with HR's policy with verbally accepting an offer. In my county the policy is that a verbal offer and accepting are the same as written and get treated as such. It says on the HR website accepting a verbal offer prevents you from interviewing or accepting other offers. You wouldn't want the school you accepted the offer for to hear you are interviewing. I would call HR and check with them.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 6, 2016

If in doubt, call the lady in charge of new hires and tell her that this is all foreign to you, and perhaps she could share a little more about the process to help you sleep at night. Chalk it up to excitement and anticipation, promise you are not normally needy, but this is a huge event for you. Trust me, she has heard it all before, and done a lot of hand holding over the years. When the process IS complete, a brief note of thanks, with a CC to the administration, will accomplish two things: first, she will know that you were sincerely baffled, and she eased your mind, and second, her bosses will know that she is a keeper, doing a great job putting the best possible face on the district and school culture. These are the positive things that make it into a personnel file, and they matter.

Hiring is slow, no matter how aggravating that can be. Maintaining your grace in the face and challenge of the unknown goes a long way towards convincing admin that they chose wisely. I agree with czacza - I would nix more interviews within the same district. It implies that you don't trust the word of the person who secured the verbal offer. That is not the best foot forward, IMHO. Take some good deep breaths, don't share on social media yet, "just in case", but have some faith in the process.

Finally, congrats on the job - you should be proud and thrilled. All you need from this moment on is time and patience.

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 6, 2016

I definitely wouldn't interview in the same district. The administrators talk and that will reflect poorly on you. If you're really concerned, call HR and ask them to explain the process to you. You could even be honest about explaining that you feel you need to keep interviewing until you have something in writing. When I changed jobs awhile ago, I was hired in April and still didn't have anything in June (which is typical for my area, that's why the "keep interviewing until you get a contract" thing doesn't work here). I was relocating for the job and needed proof of employment to get an apartment. Once I called HR and explained my situation they were able to get something to me right away.

11. heather002

heather002 Rookie

Jul 6, 2016

Thank you guys all for your replies! Now I see interviewing in the same district isn't a good idea haha I'm gonna wait until Friday and see if I get anything by then, and if not, I'm gonna call HR. Thank you!

12. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 7, 2016

I recommend Vickilyn's suggestion.