Got a summer job> 8 classes ages 5-12!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by AnthonyA, Jun 27, 2007.

1. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

I got a summer job and will be teaching 4 classes one day and another 4 the next. I have a total of 8 classes, 12-15 in each class. Now get this, classes will vary from 5 years of age - 12 years of age, with most having ADD, ADHA, etc etc....
    The worst is, I have to figure out who is at wat grade level in Math, Reading & Writing and give them classwork accordingly. How?? lol

Hey, this will look real nice on my resume though! :D

All kidding aside, I will do my best. I just feel it's going to be very difficult to have all these different ages and disorders while trying to provide work for such a variety. hhmmmmmm

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2007

How many hours a day will you be working with each class?

4. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Funny, I'm still waiting for a schedule!!

As far as I know though, I will have each class for almost an hour. That hour is to include introductions, then seatwork (approx. 30-40 min.) and then recess.

Oh, I forgot to mention something else.

I will be implementing a point system program which both the students and I are new to. I will be constantly giving negative or positve reinforcement points which I will mark off on a large chart. The chart will contain their names and occurrences. Yes, I will have a chart like this in 8 different rooms. lol

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2007

Anthony

That actually makes sense to me. These kids need a lot of STRUCTURE. Once you have a time schedule... I would suggest breaking down your session into small parts and posting a visual schedule..... this may help them focus and work for the points.

An hour will fly, so I'm assuming there is no time to waste. Will you be working whole group?

6. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jun 27, 2007

Yes, I will be working the whole group.
    I agree with the structure of the program.
    I just don't like the idea of stopping what I'm doing, such as helping a student with their work, to go mark off a point.
    It's going to be a constant of starting and stopping to mark points. Anyhow, I do appreciate the opportunity and will do my best.
    Thanks for your help MissFrizzle! :O)

7. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Can you use individual charts for the students so you can simply mark the points right where you are? I saw this kind of system used in a behavior disorders class where each student had their own chart and then at the end of the class they copied their totals on to the main chart. Personally I didn't care for this system but I know people that really like it.

8. Kathy1013

Kathy1013 New Member

Jun 28, 2007

How about keeping a clipboard with you so you can just mark the points while you are working with others and then periodically update the points? Would this work for you?

9. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Thanks rchlkay and Kathy1013.

rchlkay, that's exactly what it is. Alot of the kids have behavior disorders, among other possible disorders. I will be marking their points on a chart. The chart will be in each classroom (I will be roaming from class to class to teach). Then, the points will be added and handed down at the end of the day to a pointkeeper.

The thing is, I have to write down the plus or minus points instantly, while telling them they lose points for this or that.

I like the idea of structure, but not the idea of me having to stop what I'm doing to mark down points constantly. I think they should have a point keeper in the classroom for that.

But, it is what it is. I'll do my best and gain some nice experience in the process.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2007

This is going to be an excellent experience for you!

Keep things structured like clockwork. It might get boring for you, but they're going to thrive on it. I know it seems weird to have to stop and issue or remove points, but that's just the way it works. If you wait more than a few seconds, they're not going to associate the consequence with the behavior and your whole system will collapse.

11. AnthonyA

AnthonyA Rookie

Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Cassie. Will do. :)

12. rchlkay

rchlkay Companion

Jun 28, 2007

Cassie is right and the structure is what these kids need. Like she said, any points given later in the lesson would be lost because they don't associate the points to any behavior. I know how this system works and I applaud those who can make it work. Personally, I wouldn't do well managing it. (Don't they say we should all realize our weaknesses? :eek: ) Anyhow, good luck and I think you'll enjoy having the different ages and abilities.