Got a Job!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by LonGuy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I got a job! I will be a self-contained Special Education classroom teacher in an elementary school in this coming school year. Woohoo! (I waited long enough to find out this fact, and am relieved that I have a job for a year at least.) I have a lot of prep to do, but am excited and overwhelmed at the same time. Encouragement is greatly appreciated.

3. reckers

reckers Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Hi! Congratulations! I'm a first year special ed teacher in TX. I teach inclusion K-2nd. Is this your first year teaching? I only have one student at the moment, but am sure I'll get more soon. I'm just trying to learn as I go and go with the flow. I posted something about working with a student with cerebral palsy. If you have any expertise or advice in this area, I sure would appreciate it. I just posted a topic about this tonight. Thanks!

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 26, 2008

Congratulations! The best advice I can give you is to have structure and routines. Best of luck!

5. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

Wonderful LonGuy! Congratulations. :) What area of Special Education will you be teaching... (EBD, Moderate, Severe/Profound)? Just curious. :) Keep us posted on how your first year goes.

6. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

7. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all of your messages and kind words. I am sorry that I could not respond sooner. I have been so busy since the day I got a job, and am so far away from being ready. (The first day of school is next Tuesday. I have not slept much for the past 4 days.)

Although this is my second year of teaching (a 2 year break between), this is my first time having my own classroom. My classroom has 11 LD students.

Yes, I definitely need to focus on the structures and routines. I will be spending my whole weekend planning and preparing. I hope I will be ready by Tuesday.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 29, 2008

Congrats on your new job LonGuy!!

9. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

Congrats!:party: Our first week of the year just ended and I'm exhausted. I came home and took a big nap! Yeah for Labor Day!

10. LonGuy

LonGuy Rookie

Aug 31, 2008

Thank you for more messages and kind words. Yes, I am working hard to prepare myself for a class. I am overwhelmed and tired, but have so much to do. (It is great to have a long weekend, so I can get extra sleep. I know what you are feeling, fratbrats!) Tuesday is my first day. I am nervous, but hope I will do fine.

11. winnie_peg

winnie_peg Rookie

Sep 1, 2008

Teach96, how do you go about with your structure and routine? I'm new to special education especially with the severe and profound. :thanks:

12. Teach96

Teach96 Comrade

Sep 1, 2008

As for routine, I set up our daily schedule (you can see this on my blog, there was also another thread for more severe schedules on here already so you might want to read back a few days/weeks on topics) and besides whole school interruptions, I do not alter from this schedule for the first 2-3 weeks. At this point I can adjust anything that wasn't working but I give it the 2-3 weeks to work itself out before I change anything. Student will adjust to your routine must better if it's the same. changing things each day after one day of "not so good" will be more confusing for them.

As for structure, I use a process from TEACCH that I adapted to my students level. If you look at the pictures from my classroom (also on my blog) toward the bottom you'll see what I call work systems. This tells the students during each period exactly what they are to do and in what order. If your students can't read you can use stickers/pictures that match the folder, center, activity that they are to be working on. They also have a contract on their clipboard that tells them how many "stars" they need to earn for the day. They earn a "star" for each activity they participate in (ie they do a page from their math notebook, they work on the reading program on the computer for 10 minutes, reading 1:1 with the teacher, going to speech, etc) each earns them a star. On the front of the notebook it tells them what they have to accomplish to get their star. Each student has a different number of stars to earn during the day depending on the intensity of their work or their motor ability (if they earn their stars then at the end of the day they get a prize from the little yellow prize box~ items from oriental trading company, marbles, halloween size candy, etc).

I hope this gets you started. If you have any questions please let me know or if I can help more, I'm here.