Got a Job offer but not sure I should take it?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Geologygirl, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 11, 2014

I got a job offer but I am not sure I should take it. I have a few other interviews coming up this week at schools I want more in areas which are better for my hubby and I. I am not sure what I should do.

The job is in a small rural area and I am worried about my husband not being able to get a job near by. The job requires that we move.

On the plus side its at the level I like middle school, it sounds like it has the type of learning environment I would like to teach in, small class sizes, and lots of funding for lab stuff which is awesome. They claim the kids are well behaved which would be a huge plus, and its in the dessert which I enjoy. We could also afford a house there, and it be a nice place to raise kids. It more or less fits all my criteria, the worry is that my hubby might have trouble finding work nearby...

What do you guys think? Am I nutz for hesitating?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2014

Is your husband currently employed? Does he earn enough money so that you could survive if you had to sub?
    If the answer is no to my questions, I would probably take the job. If the answer is yes, I might pass.

4. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 11, 2014

We could survive barely as long as I subbed. I guess I really want to wait to see if I get my number 1 choice school. I had a preinterview Monday in person and I have a phone interview on Thursday. The one who just offered me a job were very reluctant to even give me a day or two to talk the job over with my husband before accepting it. Since it means us moving I have to be sure he is also on board. I guess it made me very uncomfortable or something seemed off somehow. The school has a low rating also which is worrisome.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2014

The fact that they were unwilling to give you much time even though they knew you would have to move and needed to discuss the job with your husband sets off red flags for me.

6. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 11, 2014

TAKE IT!!!! Trust me!!! Take what you get!!!

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 11, 2014

You're not nuts for hesitating. It's a big decision that doesn't just effect you. In all honesty if it were me I would take it once hubby was on board and then continue with those other interviews you set up already. You don't know if you'll wind up getting those other jobs so I wouldn't outright not take the one you are offered. Since there's time before the next school year I would ask the timeline for the others schools hiring process that way you have an idea of how long you have to really start getting things together for a move.

You sound excited about what this school has to offer in terms of a career. I know that wasn't the case in the last placement you were kinda duped into. Don't second guess it because potentially better offers May or may not happen. Either way good luck!

8. miles2go4u

miles2go4u Rookie

Jun 11, 2014

This! I was in a position you are in now two years ago and I took the job and it has been so hard for us financially the past two years. Hubby has not had an easy time with his employment. Listen to your gut. Jumping the gun here just because you have an offer is not the smartest thing to do. Really talk it over and be sure you are both on board. There is nothing wrong with asking for more time. Make up an excuse...your hubby was called out of town for work and you really want to sit down and go over your options. See if you can squeeze a week out of them.

9. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jun 11, 2014

I agree.

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 12, 2014

In this area, where jobs might be less desireable, could you somewhat easily find another position if you were to turn this one down? Possibly later in the summer if you haven't found something you have fewer hesitations about?

11. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

I live in socal so the job market is tough, however I am willing to move anywhere in the state (as long as hubby can find a job) for the right school.
    I have had a lot of interview offers and continue to get them so its hard to say if finding a job will be hard or not. The hubby was less than enthused about moving to the job area. I am thinking of letting this one go and waiting for one that makes me less uncomfortable.

I also had a phone interview with my number 1 school today. Not sure how it went. Ok I guess.

12. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

yea me too

13. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

Once you sign your stuck with that job. This is why I am being careful.

14. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

SO they called me today and wanted an answer if I was going to take the job or not today not tomorrow as was originally offered time wise for the decision. So I said no. I hope I did not make a mistake. >..<

15. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 12, 2014

I agree with those that said it was a red flag. I suppose you could've taken it and backed out of the contract? But something seems fishy to me. Like why couldn't they give you more time if they really wanted you? Why are they in such a hurry? It's only June.

The fact that they called you a day before they were supposed to and pressured you like that sends up another HUGE red flag. I think you made the right decision Geologygirl! Something just doesn't seem right there!

16. teach1

teach1 Companion

Jun 12, 2014

I think you made the right decision too! Especially after hearing they called you a day earlier than agreed upon!

17. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 12, 2014

I think you did the right thing too.

I've taken jobs that I've had reservations about in the past and have always regretted it. It's good to listen to those gut feelings.

18. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

Thanks everyone. I feel less bad about following my instincts. I just hope I find the right job soon.

19. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 12, 2014

You made the right choice. You shouldn't be pressured. The ideal job will come around.