Got a job...now what to buy?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by EZLN1, Oct 20, 2008.

1. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 20, 2008

Don't know if this goes here or the new teachers section

So as the title says, I finally got a full time position teaching HS Spanish:)

I'm already springing for a new laptop (old one just died), additional dress shirts, and a few dvd's that I want to use for my advanced class

but what are some of the bare necessities when it comes to supplies, or items all teachers should have?

thanks in advance

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2008

Hmm...whatever pens you like to use for grading, granola bars for emergency lunches or late afternoons, and a big bottle of Advil!

Congrats on the new job. :)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

Comfortable shoes. You'll be on your feet a LOT!

A cozy sweater to put into your classroom for those days when school is inexpectedly chilly. I have a black one that matches (well enough) most of what I wear.

Whatever you (and your school) consider to be a "professional wardrobe.)

Some sort of a briefcase or bag for transporting your papers to and from school.

I like to put stickers on the test papers that get a 90% or better. It makes an amazing difference to the kids to have their hard work acknowledged.

You know that you'll need a grade book and a plan book; I imagine you already have those.

5. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 21, 2008

Hola, I am a high school Spanish teacher too. The question I would ask it what is already in your classroom?

My personal stuff I can't live without as a Spanish teacher:

501 Spanish verb book
    transparencies (blank ones and ones with pictures on them)
    flashcards (anything, I have even made food ones with pictures from magazines)
    three or four really good videos a Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, and any other countries you hit on a lot
    Dice (conjugation games galore)
    Spanish scrabble (although there is a paper form easy to make)

If you have any questions ask away. I teach all levels of Spanish.

6. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Oct 21, 2008

Oh, that's cool! I'm a high school Spanish teacher, también. Everything Budaka says is right. Also you may want to invest in some storage and organizers. Organization is biggie with all the paper work they throw at you. I also went to the dollars store and bought a fiesta banner and some mexican flags all for under 5 bucks. I went to the thrift store and bought a sombrero that's pretty cool. A planner would be a good idea to keep track of due dates, deadlines, conferences, meetings, and of course, pay day!

Congrats on the new job!

7. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Oct 22, 2008

thanks for the suggestions....my brain is on overdrive thinking about all the things I need to get done for Monday, so much that I completely forgot about getting a grade book...and I took inventory from what the teacher left after reading the posts, and I found that she left behind things like binders, staples/staplers, tape, pens, etc. I got a few things to put on my walls, but I definitely want to buy flags to represent where most of my students come from

and to budaka and each1....I will be PM'ing you VERY SOON to get some ideas/suggestions for my Spanish classes...I'm kind of nervous because I'm teaching out of my credential area, and this is my 1st job ever on top of that

8. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 22, 2008

I teach French and French language posters (or in your case Spanish) are definitely something I would invest in. I would also try to find some teacher created resources with pre-made worksheets and activities. Those things are great in a pinch, but I would first check and see what your school already owns.

9. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 23, 2008

Good luck! Remember, overplan. It is hard to judge at first how long it can take students to do stuff. You want them to say EZLN1 nevers gives us a free moment. We are worked to death! :)

I noticed that you are in the bay area. Will you be having native speakers? Let me know and I will give you some advice about how to challenge native speakers.

10. Love4Science

Love4Science New Member

Nov 1, 2008

Congrats!!! Don't buy supplies like erasers, markers, a stapler, posters etc. until you know what your school will supply for you. I made the mistake of buying these materials before the first day, and then found out that the school provided much of this for me. Also, save your receipts!

11. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Nov 1, 2008

I would ask what the school will buy.

Go to the office and ask, "How do purchase orders work?" Don't ask what the school will purchase. Learn the system.

Don't ask other teachers, unless you see a teacher getting things he/she wants. Too many teachers are jaded by the system and have given up. They never learned how to ask.

I get purchase orders filled all year long, while other teachers gripe about how they never get what they order at the beginning of the year.

Schools have more money than they let on, you just need to find out who holds the stamp.

Should you have to buy out of pocket, make sure you save the receipts.

One method I use is purchasing an item less than $50, then bringing the receipt for reimbursement. Works 9/10 times. Working the petty cash system in the main office can be a good technique, too. Ask your building secretary how petty cash works.

Lastly, when you do purchase something for the classroom, make sure that you invite your administrators, department chair, AND colleagues to see how you are using it. Be sure to offer to share your purchases with your colleagues frequently.

All teachers should have an interactive white board and a computer that runs DVDs. If you get those two things, make sure to have good speakers, too.

If you want some inspiration, watch or read Catch-22. Milo Minderbinder figured out the system...just don't burn your colleagues like he did.

12. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Nov 2, 2008

Congrats!!

My advice - see what your school gives you before you spend your own money on anything. I have worked at three schools. One school gave me NOTHING!, while the other two pretty much gave me everything I needed for the classroom.