Got a job, now cant afford to move

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Cateacher2b, May 24, 2008.

1. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

May 24, 2008

For the last 3 years I have been teaching at a private school where the pay is very low. Recently I interviewed for an elementary classroom in Utah. The principal is going to recommend me for the job on Tuesday. This entails moving from California to Utah. I dont have a lot of stuff..but because I live paycheck to paycheck, I have nothiing saved either. I have no credit cards because of prior bad credit. Any ideas on how to find money to move? Should I store everything here in California and just bring what fits in my car? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I have a 13 yr old son with stuff (ie..video game systems) too.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 24, 2008

Do you have any family that could help you move? Can you try to get a CC quick to pay for a UHaul or something? Those are the only suggestions I have right now.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

May 24, 2008

I just heard about this recenlty a guy was in the same position and since it was partly due to a divorce he went ahead with it. He sold everything, every little thing he owned except one suitcase and a few boxes of mementos. He used the money he made to move and gradually replaced everything with nice stuff, in the mean time he lived with cheap used (or even free stuff) furniture. It worked well for him. Not sure it will with you, but it is an option, you don't HAVE to have the couch or the dinning room table. Those are things that can be replaced.

Good luck

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 24, 2008

Sell everything that isn't essential. Sell the furniture and TV, sell the washer and the dryer (if you have one)... sell the microwave, and everything else. Have a huge garage sale. With the money buy an air mattress and an air pump. When folded, they fit nicely into the car. Keep a set of sheets and a blanket for the air matresses. Keep a minimum of clothes and shoes, and only the personal hygiene supplies you will need for the trip plus two weeks.

Take only what will fit in one car. Dear son will also have to make huge sacrifices. Hand dear son a box (that will fit in the car) and tell him he can keep whatever he can fit into the box -- the rest is going. Let him make the choices. Give him one suitcase for the clothes and shoes -- no toys or games in the suitcase (or you'll end up tons of videos and not enough underwear and socks.) These things make us stronger people -- so don't feel too bad for him. He will surivive it. Remind him that people did survive before video games.

Stuff is just that.. stuff!

A wonderful new life lies ahead of you!

Good luck!

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 24, 2008

Utah to California is not that long of a drive, go look for a place to live bring some stuff with you that time. Leave it in storage or your new home, go back to California and bring the rest of your left over stuff the next time around. If you get your deposit back you can use it for the next home. Especially if you have a friend whose house you and your son can stay in for a week or two prior to moving. If you live in the Bay Area you probably put down first and last as well as a deposit, so when you move you should have a months rent that you don't need to spend in California and the deposit back. You could also live for a month in a trailer or something in Utah and then with your first month's pay put down the deposit for a more permanent residence.

I hope you enjoy your new job!

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 24, 2008

As difficult as it will be, the other suggestions are spot-on. I don't see how else you could afford it.

Ask if your district has relocation assistance. I had the option to borrow 1,000 in a paycheck advance. If I signed for it, they would take $100 off each paycheck for 10 months. It's basically in interest-free loan.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 24, 2008

I tend to agree with the others. When my husband walked out on me, I had to make some tough choices about my stuff (but for different reasons). I was moving in with my parents and would have to cram myself and my three children into one bedroom. It was really hard to give up all that stuff at the time, and when I moved out of their house I had almost nothing, but it was okay in the end. I was able to (slowly) replace all of my furniture one paycheck at a time and everything worked out okay in the end.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 24, 2008

All the ideas here are great.

When my husband and I moved, we had like zero money. We sold a lot of our extraneous stuff (not the big stuff, though) and saved the money for the move. We got my dad to help us haul the stuff we kept. If we hadn't been able to haul it, we would have kept it in a cheap storage unit and retrieved it later when we could afford to move it.

We ate lots of tuna, rice, pasta, canned tomatoes, and beans. We actually saved a lot of money on our grocery bills because we seriously ate the cheapest food on the planet for a month or two. I make a mean rice-tuna-Italian seasoning blend thing ... it's delicious and only costs like 47 cents for the whole pot. :p

We chose our apartment because they had a teacher discount and a promotion where we didn't have to pay a deposit. Not having to pay a deposit saved us about $1,000 in up-front moving costs. Look for a similar promotion, and don't be afraid to ask for it even if you don't see it advertised. You might be surprised at what you can get just for being a teacher.

Do ask about money for relocation costs. My district gives a signing bonus of a few thousand bucks, and you can get half of it right away when you sign up for an account with the school credit union. We did that, and the money was a godsend until I got my first paycheck--three weeks after school started! [Longest three weeks of my life!]

Wait on setting up phones, internet, and TV in your new place until you're more financially stable. You can get online at the local public library, where you can also get books and DVDs for evening entertainment in place of TV.

Sometimes your cell phone company will let you temporarily stop your service for a few months if you think you can't manage the bill for that amount of time.

Is it just you and your son? Do you think you might qualify for welfare? It might not hurt to go down to the welfare offices and have a chit-chat with them--both in your current state and the new one. You never know--they might be able to help with some expenses. There's no shame in that, and it can help you get on your feet.

10. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

May 24, 2008

Those are all great ideas! I also have one that has helped me in the past. If you belong to a church they can tell you of members in Utah that you might be able to call upon. I see lots of churches help their members out when they need it and a move to start a great job is a need! Things just seem to work out in the long run. good luck to you!