Gossip

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Beach Bum, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Beach Bum

Beach Bum New Member

Jul 19, 2006

Do you experience gossip and back stabbing at your school? It seems like every time I speak to someone from my school they are telling me something they "heard". Sometimes it is about me. I really try to stick to myself, but it is hard. How do you handle this? Am I the only one? Why in the world do grown women waste their time talking about other people?

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2006

You need to try your best to ignore it unless it's coming from administration. If you are doing something that rocks and the other teachers are criticizing you, it is most certainly jealousy... and it's sickening. I NEVER eat lunch with many people, especially in the teacher lounge... and I see myself say more than I should if I do congregate. I feel it just goes against my values if I do, and then I feel heavy-hearted. So I stay out of it and plan to even do more so this following year.

4. amelie77

amelie77 Rookie

Jul 20, 2006

Ms. Jasztal, you say to ignore it unless admin is involved. How would you handle the situation if the admin was involved? Sometimes our principal says more than he should to other teachers, and it always gets back to the teacher he said it about. I hate feeling like I can't trust my administrator!

5. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 20, 2006

If you have a union, report it to the union, if not, then personnel, or the head of your school district.

Gossip will happen no matter where you work....I think it's human nature. Ignore it. Like I tell my students, if it's not true, don't worry aobut it.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2006

Unfortunately gossip has been at every school, every envirnonment (public, charter, private, parochial) I've worked at. Over the years, I've learned from my mistakes and now have no tolerance for those who speak poorly of others. I try and play the devil's advocate if I have to so I can get them to see the other side of the story and I always try to diffuse the situation with the least words possible. Basically, I steer clear of people I know gossip and don't really "talk" to anyone. It's not worth it. Believe me, it'll always come back to you in the end. If I say anything, I try and be positive and even that can get twisted. I don't eat in the lounge and I don't "hang out" with any co-workers. It's saved me from many headaches and I think people might respect me more (unless they're talking behind my back! :*) )

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 20, 2006

If I find it an interesting tidbit then I will go & ask the person that the gossip is about. I have found that the gossip is usually not true. I even called my principal this summer, at 10:15p.m. to ask him if the rumor was true that he was leaving! It wasn't a true rumor. I don't want to hear untruths, so I just ask the appropriate person.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 20, 2006

I have to deal with gossip at my school too. I decided to do my best to stay out of it. I'll eat in the lounge whenever I can (most comfortable place) but refuse to take part in discussions if they are gossip. If the gossip is about me and I'm sitting right there, I might say something like "Please allow me to put things straight." If it's behind my back (more often than not) I just go about my business and act like I don't know or don't care. Most teachers have gotten the message that I'm not going to be roped in. My philosophy is that actions (others and my own) speak volumes.