Gossip Girl Threesome

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Nov 5, 2009.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2009

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/11/05/poll-is-gossip-girl-going-too-far/

Summary: The upcoming episode of Gossip Girl will include a threesome.

I don't watch the show but know that it has caused a stir previously with racy content. Some of the advertisements for the show have been ouright inappropriate, in my opinion. I don't even have children and I change the channel. The station claims the show doesn't target teenagers, but I know many teenagers who watch the show and feel that claim is just silly. Besides, the show is about teenagers! Well, I think they are in college at this point according to my reading, but still.

So, do you think it is irresponsible of them? I don't know if it's necessarily irresponsible--parents are, after all, ultimately responsible--but I don't like it. I'm wayyyy too conservative when it concerns such topics to approve. I can change the channel, and my little sister who watches could as well...but I think her eyeballs would be too fixed to the screen! I'm not saying this is the worst thing in the world and certainly not the worst thing on television, but what are your thoughts?

3. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Nov 5, 2009

I saw this on the preview after Monday's episode. I have watched the show from the beginning and even though I don't totally agree with it, I don't find it surprising that this is going to air. I don't think that it is irresponsible of them to add this to the storyline.. part of me thinks it goes along with something, or will go along with something in the future episodes. I do think that if parent's don't want their teenagers watching the episode then they need to make sure their kids don't watch it. Personally, I don't think that anyone under the age of 16/17 should be watching the show!

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2009

this was in our newspaper today. YUCKO.
    Never seen the show and I'm not interested either. But, I'm thinking of all those kids who have control over their TVs, etc...not a good idea to air this type of junk. THey ought to put it on HBO where they put the Sopranos when it first started out.

THUMBS DOWN!

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Nov 5, 2009

Love the show, love the books.

IMHO, it's the jobs of parents to regulate what the kids watch. That being said, if the kid likes the show and parents say no to watching it, they are going to try harder to watch it. Perhaps concerned parents should watch the show with the kids, discuss the fact that media uses sex as a tool to attrack views, and possible effects of 3-somes/sex/stuff kids are not emotionally ready for.