Gosselin Divorce Papers Filed

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Crzy_ArtTeacher, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Jun 22, 2009

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 22, 2009

It is sad, you never want to see a couple go through this. But I see a trend of most reality TV couples divorcing.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2009

Just coming here to post this. So sad. It really does depress my mood.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

It is really sad for the kids. I cannot say that I am surprised by this.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 22, 2009

Very sad. How in the world is she going to take care of 8 kids by herself! I wonder if Jon is going to finish the season out or just be done with it. He is really going to have a hard time being away from the kids. He seems to love his kids very much, and they are attached to him. They are all going to struggle and I just feel bad for all of them.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

So People knows before it's televised tonight? I'm sad whenever I hear about a divorce but especially when there are children involved. I blame the tv show.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 22, 2009

It makes me wonder why couples do reality shows when most of them end in divorce! :eek:Is there a couple still together that has done a reality show?
    I can think of:
    the Osborne's
    The bacholorette couple(the one that just had a second baby)

Those who didn't stay together:
    Jessica Simpson
    Britney Spears
    Travis Barker
    Carmen Electra and Dave Navarro

I know there are more.

9. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 22, 2009

Hogan knows best
    Danny Bonaducci and his wife

The only one that I can think of that is still together is Beth and Dog from Dog, the bounty hunter. But I think Beth is like his 3rd wife and they dated for nearly 20 years before he married her and they've been married for like two years.

10. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Also, with Dog and Beth the show is really not centered on their life, but the action and excitement of the job. That prob has a lot to do with it as well, but certainly the length of their relationship prior to the show is a big factor.

11. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

Gene Simmons and his non-wife are also still together, and the show is centred on their lives. Rob and Amber are still together. The Duggars are still together, both pairs. Amy and Matt from Little People, Big World are still together.

I don't think the TV show had anything to do with it.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 22, 2009

I think the Little People Big World couple is still together although I haven't watched that show in a while.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2009

I realize this may be completely irrational, but I feel guilty....like I've been part of creating this mess because I fell so in love with those children and watched a show that perhaps should have never aired in the first place. Should this type of reality television even exist?

14. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

I agree that its not just the tv show that has created all these problems. But you definitely have to have a STRONG marriage to get through what the show brings to their lives. I hope Jon and Kate can work together for the children to make their lives as healthy as possible. I worry about those kids.

On a side note.. If they cancel the show... Lets pray octomom doesn't take the J&K time slot!

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2009

Guess the cat is out of the bag regarding 'the big announcement' for tonight's show....:eek:

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 22, 2009

I heard Octomom does have a show but I think it may only air in Britian??

17. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

For Jon and Kate, want to make any bets until there are some sequels to this announcement?

I can't wait for the episode Jon and Kate: The Reconciliation.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but Jon and Kate live in Berks County in PA; reports claim the paperwork was filed in Bucks county. Don't hold me to this, but I believe that the court paperwork for divorce has to be filed at the county courthouse where the party filing resides.

18. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 22, 2009

It starts in a few minutes for us on the east coast. Its going to be hard to watch.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2009

This is sad.

And for those that mentioned the couple from Little People, Big World...I think they've had some rough spots and almost filed for divorce themselves.

20. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Has jon always had his ears pierced? I just noticed this.

21. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

maybe he did, but never wore it?
    kate probably didn't like it.

22. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 22, 2009

your prob right. Maybe he is doing it for spite.

23. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

I kept hoping for something else...maybe an announcement about counseling. I pray things work out for their family :-(

24. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Me too....I think if the show never came about they would still be together.

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2009

I am not a fan of this show because I think that they have used their children to make them famous. I hope that they realize the pain that the have caused their family just to achieve things that most families have to work hard for. I am thinking about them in contrast to the Obamas, they are doing everything in their power to keep their children out of the spotlights not put them in.

26. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2009

I was hoping that the annoucement would be that they are ending the show to focus on thier relationship and the kids....no such luck!

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 22, 2009

Doing that would actually be putting the kids' needs first, and they are apparently not capable of doing that.

28. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jun 22, 2009

I have never been a big fan of this show. I always hated the way Kate would bite Jon's head off over the silliest things. I don't know, I am pretty old fashioned and was raised to respect my husband, it was in our vows to respect one another. I cannot imagine calling my husband stupid on national television. It just hasn't seemed to be a healthy thing for their entire family, and I believe that if they are to reconcile then they need to focus on fixing things rather than recording new episodes which continue to add layers to their children's future agony. I pray that God would protect their children from the downward spiral this divorce is likely to cause, and I pray that they are able to make life as normal as possible for the kids. It is so sad. :(

29. smalltowngal

Jun 22, 2009

They say this has been going on for months. Do you think the vow renewal was just to get a free trip out of it?

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

I agree 100%. I could not bring myself to watch this show, because they exploited their children to make themselves famous. There is always a price to fame, and in this case, the children are the price. It is all sick, sick, sick.

31. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2009

You could say the same thing about child actors...yes, while they are portraying a character, their personal lives are still opened to the public. I like to think they went into this with the greatest of intentions...I don't feel they exploited their children to make themselves famous. I just really don't think that was their agenda. Intentions count for something, right?

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 23, 2009

Only if, when the dark stuff starts flying, you make the right decision to extract your kids from the situation, even if its only temporary. Any good intentions they had are wiped out by the fact that they chose to continue with this show in spite of everything thats going on.

33. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 23, 2009

I just think it's sad that they're insisting "The show MUST go on." Why? Why does it have to go on? Neither one said anything along the lines of "Well, we're under contract so we have to have XX more shows. After that we'll discuss it as a family and see what to do." It was just a blanket statement, that the show had to continue, no matter what the harm to the family.

Do I think they have a valid point that the divorce would have come eventually regardless of the TV show? Sure. I mean Kate would still have her strong personality and Jon would still have gotten fed up and been unhappy. But to say that the TV show had no role in it just seems like sticking your head in the sand.

I stopped watching the show a few years ago and watched it last night out of curiosity. I have no plans to tune in again. I mostly feel bad for the twins. Can you imagine that classmates of Maddy don't tease her about her tantrums and behavior (I think Maddy is the one with the tantrums, not Cara? Like I said, it's been a while since I've watched the show)? Girls her age aren't always kind, I can just see some girls bringing up stuff from various episodes just to be hurtful.

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2009

I am just glad they moved. They lived in the same town I am moving too this summer. I just can't even imagine those kids walking in my classroom in a few years - if they are even in public school.

35. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

I can't believe they are continuing the show. They need to think about their kids' needs and not their fame. Ridiculously pathetic.

36. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jun 23, 2009

In the beginning, they openly talked about their faith and their trust in Christ. As time went on, we started hearing less and less about Christ. They lost their focus on Christ, which lead to them losing the glue that would have helped keep them togehter. A lot needs to change in both of them in regards to where they stand with Christ before they can even start to reconcile their marriage. I pray Christ brings them back to him and then to each other - for their sake, not just the kids. The whole thing makes me sad. I've found myself praying a lot for this situation.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 23, 2009

It's no surprise, but a real shame that happened. Not that Kate's a rose either, but I personally never liked Jon's demeanor anyway. I know everyone has different personalities, but he's always seemed a little callous & not a warm person to me.

On a different note, I'm surprised Ryan & Trista from the Bachelorette are still married. They have 2 kids now. They've probably been appraoched to do a reality show on their lives, but probably declined. If I were them, I wouldn't do it.

38. smalltowngal

Jun 23, 2009

Of course the show must go on...that's their only income!!!!!!!!!

39. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2009

and it is expensive to maintain both a 25 acre ranch and an apartment in Trump Towers.

40. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

J&K will switch off living in the house. Kate will have to purchase another property. With this arrangement, Kate should be able to travel when Jon is with the kids so she doesn't have to be away from them for book promotions. I am interested to see if she continues to travel when it is "her time" with the kids.

41. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 29, 2009

Am I the only one that thinks that Kate is "too sweet" in the last episodes? Do you think that it was edited that way, or do you think that she might be realizing that she was coming off as a b*****?