Google +

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KLSSwimmer, Jul 20, 2011.

1. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jul 20, 2011

Okay, what is with all this buzz about Google+? Are you a member? I want an invite because I am simply curious. Do you like it?

3. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

People like to think it's "Facebook" by Google, but it's a bit different. First off, you don't "friend" someone. The way the sharing of information works is more like Twitter.

You can select friends, acquaintances, or family and put them in different circles. Whatever you post or share on your Google+ will be shared with the circle(s) you decide to share with. Just because you have put someone in one of your circles doesn't mean they're sharing their stuff with you. For instance, say I put my friend "Jane" in a friend circle. If I share a picture with my "friend" group she will be able to see it. But if "Jane" has not added me to one of her circles, I can't see what she is posting.

Wow...that's confusing! :) So far a lot of my friends have it, but no one is using it! Maybe it will catch on. For now, I think too many people are used to Facebook.

The cool thing about Google+ is you can video chat with multiple people at the same time!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2011

I'm on it. So far I don't really get it. PM me with your email and I'll send you an invite.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2011

I have it too, but am not really feeling it. I guess I just don't see what all the hub bub is about.

6. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

I think it just takes awhile to get used to new things. So far I haven't posted anything on it just because I don't have enough friends using it. My only friends who are actually posting things are ones who work for Google!
    I remember when Facebook had some major changes done to the profile and home page and everyone freaked out for awhile. It all takes some getting used to. So far, though, I prefer the layout of Facebook.

7. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

I signed up for it but haven't figured it out yet.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

I would love to give it a try because I like to explore all the new tech trends, but I think that even if you have an invite (which I don't) it's reached its beta testing capacity. :(

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2011

I hadn't even heard of it until I watched Tosh.0 last night and he mentioned it.

No thank you to another networking site.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

Here's an interesting article about Google+ and its possible impact on education: Why Google + is an Education Game Changer.

Not sure if my students will be joining the + world or if the district will open it up... Time will tell!

11. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 20, 2011

I've gotten into it a lot today actually. It's a scaled down version of facebook, but what it does it does well. It does NOT have events, pages, causes, etc. But, I like it better than facebook for communicating with people. It is a bit different, and takes a bit of getting used to (e.g., the way you send messages is different), but otherwise it's pretty cool.