Google Meet questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MntnHiker, Aug 9, 2020.

1. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Aug 9, 2020

So in my district, we are required to use Google Meet. In the spring, we were discouraged from any synchronous videos, so I have only ever been a participant in a Google Meet but never started my own. After reading up on it some and watching some videos, I think I understand it, but wanted to ask some questions here. My biggest concerns are not having students in the meeting without me, either before it begins or after it ends.

-From what I gather, the best way to prevent this is to use a nickname for the meeting. So my question is, does that mean I should just not even bother with the Google Meet link each Google Classroom page provides for me? My understanding is, because that link doesn't change, students could join it at any time and be having a meeting without me in it. Correct? So just don't bother with that and make my own nickname for each class? Then they can't join before me and I can manually remove them at the end if need be.

-Easiest way to do breakout rooms in Google Meet? Is it getting the extension since it isn't a part of Google Meet? I think I will want to use some breakout rooms but it seems confusing. Or could I just come up with additional meeting nicknames (like Group1, Group2, etc) and give each group their own nickname and do it that way?

-Any way to mute all mics so that students can't unmute themselves and only I can unmute them?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 9, 2020

You can change the settings so students have to request permission to join. That will help with the supervision portion of the application. I'm still working on learning this myself (to the point I'm working on my Level 1 certification), so I'd love to hear from others on how to handle these situations.

MntnHiker likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 9, 2020

Do you need special privileges for that? I wasn’t aware you could do that. I had the exact problem the OP was worried about - students in calls when I wasn’t there. They were also able to block each other with no way for me to undo it, so any kid could kick any other kid from our video chats. I was really strict on it, and they got a lot better once they knew it wasn’t allowed, but it still bothered me that they had that capability.

5. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Aug 9, 2020

The Meet link in GC works just like a nickname one as far as I can tell. In fact, you can share the nickname part to admin, etc. If you aren't in there, they can't go in. Your exit, however, doesn't boot them out, so I always make sure I'm last to leave. For your own understanding, test away. Google Meet allows you to open multiple meets in a window. So, try it in an incognito window, etc. to see the protections in place that were not there this past winter.

MntnHiker and otterpop like this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 9, 2020

They have made a lot of changes over the summer.

MntnHiker, bella84 and otterpop like this.
  7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 9, 2020

Our students were accessing Google Meets through Google Hangouts, and there was never a way to turn a call “off”. They just had to close it out but could go back anytime. It’s good to know they made some changes over the summer.