Google ELA classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Feb 18, 2017.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Feb 18, 2017

Do you use this in your class? If so, how?

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 19, 2017

I'm facilitating a discussion with our English teachers in a few weeks on this topic. I am not super familiar with it, but I am hoping that we will move to using Google classroom for writing assignments as a way to collaborate and for the teacher to give formative feedback while students complete assignments.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 19, 2017

I use Google Classroom for science, but there are many ways it can be used for ELA.

My primary use for Google Classroom is as a bulletin board to post links to other sites. These can include articles to read, videos, quizzes, documents, etc. It's just nice that students only need to start in one place and a lot of time isn't spent troubleshooting whether or not a student put in the wrong URL or not.

What's also cool about it, is its ability to accept a wide variety of medias as an assignment submission. My students keep a blog on Wordpress.com. When they publish their blog, I just have them submit the permalink to their specific blog post. I've given students projects where they had choices on what to create, and I've gotten back videos, prezis, Google slides, and research papers all on the same assignment. It's very versatile.

As MissScrimmage said, Classroom works really well with Google Docs and the rest of the Google Suite, allowing you to create copies for each of your students that have their names attached to them automatically (reducing time spent hunting down students who didn't put a name on their paper). You can easily create a prompt on a blank Google Doc and simply have students write and submit it. Because of the submission and return functions in Classroom, you could easily get a paper, comment on it (CTRL+ALT+M is the best way to comment), and return it so they can write a second draft.

In addition, Google Classroom has come out with a variety of new features such as announcements and questions. I ensure that every student has Classroom installed on their phones so when I make an announcement, they all see it at home (say if I forgot to tell them something in class). I can also ask "questions" to students, and they will post answers to it. You can make it so that the answers are visible to the rest of the class, and that students can comment on each other's answers, essentially creating a forum-like discussion. You can assign students to comment on 2-3 other student responses.

You can now create quizzes with Google forms, or just use them to collect student data or responses as well. As for third-party apps, a lot more are integrating with Classroom, such as Quizizz, Quizlet, Khan Academy, etc. And more are integrating it each day. I've used Autodesk Project Ignite to give kids assignments to create 3D models of inventions that they need to design digitally using the online 3D CAD app TinkerCAD. If you couldn't tell, I love Google Classroom.

Xerographica likes this.
  5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2017

I use it quite a bit. If I assign a short written assignment, I make a blank Google Doc and set it up so that each student gets a copy, so that I can see them working in real time when we have laptops in my room. I can pop any one Doc open for a closer look and make suggestions to the student on the spot without leaving my desk. It's also cut down on the "my printer was out of ink" excuses.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 19, 2017

I've used Google Docs for editing papers with my students so they can see exactly what I'm suggesting real-time. It's the best "I do, we do, you do" I've had in a while. I'm not sure how else to use it specifically for ELA, so please give details!

7. Janeway

Janeway Rookie

Feb 21, 2017

There is so much you can do with the Google Apps in all classes really. In ELA the obvious is easy peer editing and teacher editing of written work. There are also essay templates, digital notebooks, that can be used with Google Slides. And you can use Docs to make creative classwork with links, images, Google Drawings to match vocabulary etc....