Google Earth LitTrips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherShelly, Aug 13, 2010.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 13, 2010

We just saw this in our district training this morning. I wasn't very interested either, but it could be the way it was presented.

4. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

I don't think it is you. I'm a huge Google Earth fan and I think LitTrips are a waste of time. Maybe I'm just not getting it but I think they are way overblown in terms of excitement and educational value.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 13, 2010

OK, I am feeling like I can stop racking my brain for what I'm missing ! It is kind of neat, seeing the places from the book zoom into view and reading a little factoid about that place. But for all the overhead of loading Google Earth, it just seems to fall flat.

6. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

We've had several techie people in our building the last few years and every time I ask about resources for English they mention littrips. But there's nothing to DO with the littrips except look at them. Maybe as an introductory piece they'd be useful but otherwise you might as well put up a powerpoint. Now, if there was an easy way for your students to MAKE a littrip, that'd be different (and hands on) but as is . . . meh.

7. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

I, too, have checked out LitTrips and was not impressed with them. :) Here is something I ran across a week ago where you can easily make maps and add music, text, and photos to each spot along your "trip". http://tripline.net/

Our 2nd grade teacher and I are going to buddy up our students to create a hyperbole "What I Did on My Summer Vacation" story and trip....based on the book by Mark Teague, How I Spent My Summer Vacation. http://www.amazon.com/Spent-Summer-Vacation-Dragonfly-Books/dp/0517885565

I am thinking, too, about using it to map our Flat Stanley project adventures. :)