Google Classroom Tips

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Apr 10, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 10, 2020

Whether you're a newbie or experienced user to Google Classroom, what tips do you have for simplifying grading and making the classroom as easy to run as possible?

I'm a beginner, but my tip is to turn off all student commenting unless it's directly, privately to me. It eliminates the need to moderate discussions, which we have via other platforms.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    MrsC likes this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2020

I set notifications to come to my phone during the school week, that way I don't miss anything.

I use the To Do list to keep on top of what I need to grade and return.

4. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Apr 10, 2020

If it's just a quick check of understanding or just a few questions you want them to answer, do it as a question rather than an assignment. Heads up: the default setting is that they can see each others' answers, so if you don't want that, uncheck that box. But this way, all their answers will come up on one screen and you can quickly scroll down them to check their answers rather than having to open a bunch of different documents for each student.

MrsC likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 10, 2020

I had no idea there was a way to not let them see others' answers. I will have to look up how to do that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  6. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Apr 13, 2020

When you go to post a Google Question, look down in the bottom right of your screen and the first box will be automatically checked and say something like "Let students reply to each other." If you uncheck that, they won't be able to see or respond to each other. You CAN go back in later and check it if you do want them to respond to each other after a set amount of time.

7. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Apr 13, 2020

Using Topics to categorize weekly work! Also, if you are doing live video called, there is a place in settings that generates a permanent link for Google Meet for your class...it can even be displayed on the banner!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 13, 2020

Add another teacher as a fake student to make sure everything is working from their point of view.

novaguy1968 and Tired Teacher like this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 13, 2020

I added myself with my personal email. It was a huge help when trying to teach students how to use Google Classroom.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  10. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 15, 2020

I use the schedule post/assignment feature all the time. When I had my kids in class every day, I would set all of their bell work questions a week at a time to automatically post a few minutes before each period started. I'd schedule assignments and materials to post about 5 minutes into the period.

Now that we have weird rules about when things are to be posted, I schedule everything so I don't have to stay up/wake up in order to have things posted at the approved time.

otterpop and MrsC like this.
  11. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2020

My team decided to create a rubric to use for all four subjects. All work is given either a 3, 2, or 1. This makes entering some grades pretty simple and we upload the same rubric to each assignment!

I teach math and I assign about 2 Khan Academy assignments per week. I can log on to Khan to see how the kids do and I give the kids a 3/3 if they attempted all of the questions. Grading Khan assignments is nice & easy which I like.

My team created a google sheets where we record grades for each student and can see an average of their grades as well. This allows us to contact parents for students who are not completing work. It's easier to see on the google sheets rather google classroom.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 18, 2020

We have weird time rules too. I like the schedule feature. I wish you could schedule for multiple classes at once though. That's a pain.

13. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Apr 20, 2020

Oooh, I just found out about a feature from my school's tech coach. I didn't know about the "to-do" list. If you click on the menu from your GC homepage (the one where all of your classes show) you can get a list of everything you have yet to grade or everything due across the classes you're enrolled in.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 20, 2020

We are still sending packets home but will begin "checking in" with students and parents with Google Classroom. How would this set up look? Just messages they can read and respond to?

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2020

This is the best way to keep track of what needs to be looked at, commented on, and returned. I try to keep the "Turned In" column at all zeroes.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2020

I post work for the week on Monday mornings, the students can leave a question or comment on each assignment (which everyone can see) or as a Private Comment. I use the Private Comment feature to leave feedback and to answer individual questions. I have Google Classroom on my phone and have set Notifications so I can see as posts come in (although I don't always respond if outside of "school hours"). Every morning I post a short announcement along with a challenge, a picture or a joke--something to engage.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 24, 2020

Ok, I set up my Google Classroom account. I just had to figure it out since nobody gave us any directions. Right now we are tracking attendance. I will have no idea if the students are completing the work. We have to contact the parents every day. I am not calling them but just using email. We were told to try to call a parent at least once so I tried to call a parent today but had to leave a message. I followed up with an email. Would I then click on Unsuccessful since I didn't actually talk to the parent and she did not call me or respond to my email? What are they considering successful?

18. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 24, 2020

I’m not sure... we measure attendance by any work completion or contact and mark present or not in a separate google form that’s not on google classroom.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 27, 2020

Almost NONE of my students, for various reasons, want to complete their assignments online. We've created all these classrooms (I have one for each grade) and most of our students want to pick up and drop off written work instead.

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 27, 2020

Thanks. The attendance form is a 2 page document on Google Classroom but only asks if the work is sent to them. I have no way of knowing if they completed it! We don't grade work anyway so I guess we don't really have to receive the completed work. They just have to know we sent it.

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2020

Hi All! I just wanted to ask about Google Classrooms. I now need to create a name for my classroom. Will we be able to create more than one classroom or can we only have one on our account? ARe we able to change the names of our classrooms in the future or are we stuck with those names we choose??

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2020

You can edit the name of your classrooms through the Settings in the Classroom. You can create as many Classrooms as you would like to.

otterpop likes this.
  23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 4, 2020

Thanks! I was told just to make a generic name for now. Mrs. so and so's classroom Fall 2020 so I was hoping it wasn't permanent!

24. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2020

Enter all of the files/links for the day in one assignment...especially if you share google classrooms with other teachers (I share with the whole grade 6 team so the kids only have one classroom!)

Create a section for Tutorials to upload a schedule for the students and other important information.

To communicate with individual students, you can post messages just to them on the stream!

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2020

Thank you for the tips! We don't even know if we will be using the Classroom since it will probably depend on which parents send their kids.

26. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 10, 2020

Anyone here adept at Forms? I'm trying to put a new student enrollment questionnaire online, and I keep hoping I can find a way to convert my document to this format.

27. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 10, 2020

What is the original format? PDF?

28. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 11, 2020

Microsoft Word, which is easily converted into Google Doc or PDF.

29. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 11, 2020

If it’s just typed questions, I would say the easiest thing to do is copy and paste the questions into the Google Form. You can either have them answer each question as a multiple choice or a short answer, or a mixture of those. I hate when people say this, but it’s a pretty intuitive program/app, have you played around with it?

30. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 12, 2020

That's pretty much what I did. Was just wondering if there was another way.

otterpop likes this.
  31. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 12, 2020

Yeah, I think that’s the best option. There's nothing I know that converts a word doc or pdf to a google form automatically, although that would be hugely helpful.

If you have a worksheet that isn’t just questions, say a cell diagram that you want them to label, you can also take a screenshot and put the image in your google form. Then, they can look at the worksheet and fill in the form questions below. It’s a pain to do that with every worksheet though. A lot of people use Google Slides for that kind of thing, but then you can’t auto grade.