Google Classroom/Meets

Discussion in 'General Education' started by REW, Jan 5, 2022.

1. REW

REW Rookie

Jan 5, 2022

My school is likely going to be going remote (not directly related to Covid) and we use google classroom and google meets. I am a Canvas/Zoom user. Are there any great trainings, tips, tricks? I *hate* google in general. My coworkers said they were aggravated they couldn't control the mic and camera from their end. Kids entering/becoming the host instead of the teacher. I'd love any and all suggestion. I have heard that google classroom is easier to manage as a learning platform. My main thing is I like to work ahead. I like to have at least 2 weeks of material posted, but I only want the current day + past work published.
    I am also very hesitant because they way my team worked last year is they each were in charge of a specific content area. They would create it and publish it on another's classroom. I don't want other people publishing stuff in my classroom. We used the sandbox to share materials like that, so if we needed to make any tweeks individually we could. Is that an option with google classroom?

3. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 5, 2022

You can schedule materials, posts, and assignments to show up when you want them to. Even pre-pandemic, I would pre-set the question of the day (bell work) for the whole week to post 10 minutes before class started. That way I didn't have to worry about posting if I was talking with a student, dealing with hallway issues, etc. but the kids couldn't do a whole bunch at once and then sit and goof off.

You can use the share function on google drive to share files and each post your own to your classroom. Depending on what you want, either share as editable or leave the settings alone and use the "make a copy" function to edit individually.