Google classroom / e-learning routine

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Mar 16, 2020.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 16, 2020

We’re going to be providing online education via google classroom for the next few weeks. I’m not worried about using google classroom - I never have before, but I’ll figure it out. However, I am worried about kids getting confused on various tasks and don’t want to overwhelm them. I’m trying to condense down to “must do’s” and develop a daily routine. Please keep in mind I only teach ELA and they will have 1-2 other teachers telling them what they need to do in math, science, social studies, and specials too.

Here’s what I’m thinking as a daily routine:
    1. 20 minutes on an online grammar program we subscribe to
    2. Log in to reading curriculum, read a story and answer questions at the end by typing response into google classroom
    3. Silent read for 20 min (should I have then tell me the title also in google classroom?)
    Not on here: students typically do one workbook page each night to go with our reading curriculum. But I’m worried that adding that in there will be too much to track. And how would they show it to me - take a photo? So I’m thinking of scratching that but I’m not sure, as it’s preprinted, they all have it, and they’re used to it. I could have them read a story and NOT answer the questions at the end, and then do the workbook page instead. But I know many of them will not read the story then.

In addition to this being new territory to me, it’s also new to the kids, and I don’t want them to fall behind or get frustrated in trying to remember everything they need to do.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  3. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Mar 17, 2020

Anything the students are used to may be worth holding on to. Perhaps you could make the workbook's questions a G form/quiz? It's hard to say without knowing what it contains...

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2020

It’s been a while since I’ve been in the classroom, but here’s a tip: if you make a writing assignment, create a blank Doc titled the name of the assignment as an attachment. Make sure you select the option to make a copy of that Doc for every student. When the student opens the Doc, it will add their name to it. You will then get thumbnails on your dashboard and can click on them and watch students write in real time, highlight and make suggestions, etc. Doing this, I was able to make the rounds of a class of 36-38 seniors

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 17, 2020

It’s been a while since I’ve been in the classroom, but here’s a tip: if you make a writing assignment, create a blank Doc titled the name of the assignment as an attachment. Make sure you select the option to make a copy of that Doc for every student. When the student opens the Doc, it will add their name to it. You will then get thumbnails on your dashboard and can click on them and watch students write in real time, highlight and make suggestions, etc. Doing this, I was able to make the rounds of a class of 36-38 seniors

6. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 18, 2020

Thank you. This was one of the first things I figured out how to do, after I saw this post, and I appreciate the tip!

I think I have the basics down now. The main challenge at this point will be helping parents and students use Classroom, since they’ve never used it before.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 19, 2020

Our district picked Canvas, which is fine by me. I'm kind of having fun setting up stuff, and it seems I have a lot of links I'm sending out... you know, the educational manipulative websites sort of things that I think can be very handy.

Being this 1st grade, our big question is assessment. We've a few people on the team who are adamant we must assess, but I can't think of a way to get valid scores--there's also the fact that I am guessing a certain fraction of my class won't be doing anything.

We were given a print-out a gentleman quickly wrote up about the sudden teach-online switch, and his philosophy, which I tend to agree with, is that this is a time that's really more about delivering information rather than assessing and we just have to accept it's out of our hands.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 19, 2020

If you HAD to do assessments, you could do fluency assessments via video. You could either do super quick conference calls with them, or just have them send you a video or audio file. I've had kids record themselves reading before, never for assessment and mainly for fun, and it's worked fine.

I was thinking of telling parents they're welcome to help their children with assessments, as it's nearly impossible not to. I think ultimately, though, I will need to say please do not help your child - but I know some will anyway. I doubt our school would be okay with blatantly encouraging parent help on tests but it could give parents unique insight on how their child is doing with grade level content.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.