Google Classrom - need help with archive

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 23, 2019

Good morning,

I teach independent study and we are encouraged to have the students use technology and write quickwrites.
    So I created a Google classroom for all my students and I will post one topic for a quickwrite every week. When a student comes to their weekly appointment, they will start by writing a paragraph.

The problem I'm having is that the class gets archived, I was told, every day, automatically.
    I created the class Friday and the assignment was posted. This morning I saw the assignment as the page was left on, but once I clicked on it, it disappeared. I kept looking until I finally found it in the calendar and then a message popped up that my class was archived. I was able to restore it, but I was told by a teacher that this will happen every day.

I don't want it one day just completely disappear, with student work, and all my work put into it.
    I've searched everywhere in settings and I googled it, but can't find any solution (Google results only talk about how to archive a class)
    Any suggestions?

Thank you

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2019

I've never heard of this before; how frustrating! I have a good friend who is my go-to for all things Google. I'll ask her and get back to you if she has any suggestions.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 23, 2019

Thank you so much!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2019

Is your school or district doing the archive?

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2019

Yeah, that's really weird -- my classes don't even automatically archive at the end of the year, I have to do it manually.

In the short-term, one thing you could do is to create a Slides presentation with the quickwrites on the slides, and share it through the Classroom -- that way the students should still have access and be able to see them, even if the assignment isn't showing.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 23, 2019

Here is a little more info about the situation.
    As I said, I teach independent study, so we have 50+ courses we assign (core and elective), and each has a Goggle Classroom set up (even though we won't use it like that because we don't have time and there are other issues). But, the good thing with those classes is that student who are enrolled to English 1, for example will show up in the corresponding English 1 Google classroom. These classes don't get archived.

That's not what I need though. I had to a create a new class so that I can have all students join it, and then submit the work. I was told because this class was created by me, it gets archived every day and I need to restore it every day.
    And I don't like that, because I'm afraid one day it gets deleted or something weird thing will happen.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 23, 2019

That’s super weird.

We have classes automatically generated, but we can also create our own. We have to manually archive any classes we create.

Can you send a message to the school/district tech guru who is over all things Google and ask that your classes not be archived. I’d imagine that explaining the situation would be enough for them to allow it to remain. There are tons of settings on Google Admin level.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 24, 2019

I called them yesterday before I posted here and they said someone would call me, the person I talked to had no idea about Google Classroom lol.
    Then another one called me back and said they were working on a fix and he will let me know Friday, but the way he talked, I didn't think he knew exactly what the problem was. I only got to tell the first person what it was, and not what it should be, since he didn't know anyways.
    So I'm sure very little info trickled down to the next person.
    I asked the second guy "do you actually know what the problem is?" he said "yeah, yeah, your class disappeared" I said "no, I actually was able to recover it..." but then he cut me off and said he'll get back to me Friday. Sounded all rushed so I couldn't even tell more.

So all in all our IT department was no help, and I'm curious to find out what they'll say Friday. The other teacher that's having the same problem said she emailed a tech person 2 weeks ago but she hasn't responded. :nomouth:

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 24, 2019

Don’t you love it when the tech people are stumped? Hope they find an answer for you.

Linguist92021 likes this.