Google chat, meet

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Apr 4, 2020.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Apr 4, 2020

How would you suggest I virtually meet with my students? I have over 100 students, a lot don't have internet access. Do I have to email every student to invite them to the meeting? Any suggestions you have for me is greatly appreciated!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 4, 2020

Does your school provide email addresses for your kids? If yes, I'd start out by inviting rather small groups at 1st until you are comfortable w/it.
    Then up the number and you'll see a pattern of who is showing up and who isn't.
    I'd guess in your school device ( laptop) that the kid's names/ emails are already in there.

You'd just have to start typing their names and all would "pop up." So it makes emailing invites easier.
    You can also give them a meeting number and password for the meeting. That is a royal pain.
    I tried it and it was far more successful using the invites.
    If kids do not have internet access, you can't do it with them. That is hard to accept, I know. Zoom is what most people seem to be using. I am unfamiliar with google meet, but if your kids have school gmail accounts, it might be a way to meet too.

4. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Rookie

Apr 5, 2020

With Google Meet (which is what we use) I would send out a mass email with the link to the chat room you create with a date and time you want them to be there. If you have Google Classroom set up, you can easily send out a mass email to each class by going to your "people" page and then just selecting to click all students and then send email.

What you may want to do is make it more of a "drop in, drop out" if they have questions so you don't have so many people there at one time. Like "I will be in this chat room from 1:30-2:00 and you can drop in whenever during that time if you have a question or just want to say hello and then leave when you want" rather than a structured live class session. You could do that, too, but I would definitely do it by section rather than all 100 at once.

Unfortunately, the only way I can think of to reach offline students is to call home. Or you could inquire if they have a Smart Phone or even a non-smart cell phone (which many of my students with no home Internet do have) and they could possible communicate to you on their phone through Remind.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Apr 5, 2020

Some teachers are using facetime w/ kids who don't have devices in other places. I'd only do that for kids who really want to learn something or I might be worried about. You have a lot of kids though
    .. I am not sure about your phone plan, but mine gave me a bunch of free data to use the next 2 months out of the clear blue. All of our kids who needed them were given laptops or Chrome Books.
    I am sorry they did not make sure all of your kids had devices. That makes it so hard on the kids and you. If you have to keep daily contact, you might be able to do "mass texts" with those who have cells.