Google Apps

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Jun 6, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 6, 2013

Has anyone used this in an elementary setting? I'm considering it for my 3rd graders next year (in a professional development now :) ). If you have used it, please let me know how, and what did and did not work for you. I need to justify it for my P (even though it is free).

3. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 6, 2013

I don't have anything to answer your question (sorry), but I am curious - what specific apps are you interested in using? Do your kiddos have access to computers at school?

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 6, 2013

My 3rd graders will probably use the presentation and word processing apps - my P is trying to get class sets of iPads for grades 3-5, so we're trying to greatly increase both the quality AND quantity of student writing, as well as their technology proficiency. One definite point in Google Apps favor is that not only can kiddos collaborate on digital projects, but I can actually grade and store their "portfolios" online!

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 6, 2013

That sounds great! I bet the kids would love to see their writing published on a Google website or blog. You could also design a "trip around the world" using Google Maps. I believe Google Earth has a feature which allows you to travel through time. That would be fun!

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 7, 2013

You could do a virtual field trip through Google Earth.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 7, 2013

I have implemented it in my school this year! I am the school administrator for Google Apps, and everyone is excited about the possibilities. My biggest issue right now is training the teachers to use it.

One thing you want to do is to make sure you install strong email restrictions. Our students are not able to email anyone outside the domain and any emails with questionable content have a copy automatically sent to me.

If you are using them with students that young, you will need to send home notifications of the changes and show them how to access their students accounts (it's required by law).

I've had kids using science simulations in flash, work on multi-stage projects including research papers, and presentations. I've had them doing Galaxy Zoo, and in the future I want to implement Hangouts with actual scientists to talk with them. There is simply so much you can do, and it's hard to list all of the possibilities.

One thing that's awesome is if they download the google drive app to their phones, they can send pictures they take and videos to their accounts, and use them. I'm also looking into using Vine as a teaching tool (easily creates 30 second videos). Phones are tricky though because they aren't allowed to be out in our school so most of that is homework. If they don't have a phone they can use mine, during school hours.

Also we're not allowed to assign homework digitally because of equity issues, so we always need a physical alternative assignment or simply give them enough time in class to complete anything they need on the computers.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 7, 2013

Thanks, Peregrin, for your input - you have tons of great ideas! I seriously doubt we'll be able to come even close to you (third). I already have an internet safety and regulations contract that I send home every year with my kiddos for parents to sign & return, along with my "blanket" photo/video release form & all the other back to school paperwork. My kiddos won't be working on phones, just school-issued iPads.