Google Ads

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cutNglue, Aug 28, 2011.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

I appreciate that advertisement keeps this forum going. Most of them I don't even mind and a few of them I have even clicked. Google Ads, however, are getting on my nerves. Why is it on every website I go to, including this one, I'm getting a Japanese advertisement for lingerie. This means I have to see the same model in the exact same bra and panties. Really?! On a teacher forum, I definitely don't want to be looking at half-naked girls. I know a few male members might approve....:whistle: I get annoyed though. I used to only see educational ads here. Now I'm getting random crap stuff.

(I'm not asking anyone to change anything since I like having this website too much to buck the system here particularly since it pays it. I'm just venting about a single ad I'm getting tired of seeing).

3. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

Do you have the link?

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

How'd I know one of the male members would be the first to respond? :toofunny:

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

:lol: @ Sarge

I've seen the Google ads, but I've never had a Japanese lingere ad. lol Not on here.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

Here's the irony. It's on THIS page!!!! LMBO! It's because I'm currently living in Japan and Google Ads uses that kind of information to tailor it to the people it presents the ads to. The problem is I've never ever shopped for lingerie, etc. on my computer so I don't know why it thinks I MUST have THIS ad.

7. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

I get ads for bike stuff on this site and teacher education programs on Bikeforums.net

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

It was a legitimate reply........ Why do I get ads which discuss bra's.......:lol:

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

But I have NO interest in shopping for bras online. Why does it think I have that interest? I guess it just knows I'm a female living in Japan. I'm the perfect target audience. I'm probably adding fuel to the fire now that I have a thread that actually has the word bra in it.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

Ahhh!! :D I see! I was seeing an ad forever for a children's clothing store. There was the most adorable little girl on it. No photo ads on here right now, links for lesson plan sites. Nothing fun or interesting. lol

11. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

The ads are based on your search history, what sites you visit, and occasionally, what emails are in your gmail account (The words in the emails, not the emails themselves)

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

I can't think of a single instance of when I used that word here unless it was on a page that I visited for other reasons but like I said, now I've added fuel to the fire by starting a thread on it. That google ad is going to really love me now.

Hey, maybe you guys will get lucky now. :lol::whistle::woot:

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

Maybe you should start a thread about hot pool boys. :D

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

It is so hilarious you say that Peachy because I just saw an ad about single girls. Why the heck are they showing me that?

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

hahahahh! Love it!

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

Now I know why they are showing me an ad for singles. :rolleyes:

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 28, 2011

Let's see if the magic works in reverse...

Hot Pool Boys

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

:lol:

Hot Pool Boys Serving Margaritas

:D

19. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

Like right now, I am using Google Chrome in Incognito mode (saves no history).

All my ads are:
    1. Teacher supplies
    2. How to get certified as a teacher
    3. Teacher education programs

20. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 28, 2011

I'm sorry - I don't control what ads they show. Google usually chooses ads for each person. It annoys me, too, because the same ads also follow me from site to site.

Since you pointed out it was lingerie, I'm going to see if there is a way I can block that category of advertisements or similar categories. If it's possible, I think I would have already done that, but I'm going to check again!

Right now we have a lot of direct, teacher-related ads running so you should mainly be seeing those. Google ads only show when those have been shown first. Unless it's not working correctly...??

If anyone ever sees ads that are not 100% kid/school friendly, please let me know as many details as possible so I can work to block them. THANKS!!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 29, 2011

Amanda, thanks for all you do (and put up with!) to keep this forum going.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 29, 2011

My ads are all about wedding related stuff at the moment. That probably has something to do with the lost ring thread I started.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 29, 2011

I believe in the adsense control panel (the beta one), they have added a feature where you can control the general categories of ads

24. Amanda

Aug 29, 2011

I confirmed I have all the 'sensitive' categories blocked. I'm looking in the 'general' categories and have no idea where lingerie would be found. If you see the ad again, let me know what site it is advertising. I can block the URL if I know that.

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

26. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 29, 2011

All I ever see anywhere are teacher ads.

Panda, panda, panda, panda.

(Just want to see what kind of ad *THAT* might trigger.) :p

27. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2011

Peachy's recommendation didn't work. I'm hesitating saying it again for fear of Jinxing it. As enticing as it sounds I don't want those kinds of ads either.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2011

There was a thread a while back about bras...or do you get emails from Victorias Secret?

29. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2011

Nope on both.

30. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 29, 2011

There is a lot of ads here, I wonder if the owners of the board every thought of doing an optional membership fee to get rid of ads? I post on a another board that does that. I would definitely pay.

31. Amanda

Aug 29, 2011

I don't know the click through link so I can't block it yet. I'll try to figure it out. I think I know why you are seeing different ads, though... If you are not in the U.S. you are not seeing the teacher-targeted ads. All of A to Z's current direct advertisers request that ads be delivered to the U.S. only. I'm guessing Google's ad category blocking isn't working as well over there. I may have to contact Google about that... the ad is very inappropriate in my opinion!

MissJill - Someone else mentioned that. I didn't realize there would be much of a demand for that, but I will look into it. I have never wanted to move any sites to subscription based because I don't think teachers should have to pay for things when companies like The Mailbox, Scholastic, Dollar Tree, etc. will pay for you by running ads.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2011

Amanda...this is a great FREE site for teachers, made possible in part by the ads....thank you for providing a great 'meeting and resource spot' for us! I can deal with scrolling past ads, and I do click on some.

I find the ads that show up for me are related to recent searches I've initiated, or online shopping I've done and of course 'teacher ads '. :) it's smart, demographically targeted advertising for the sponsors, helps Amanda defray costs, and informs potential customers (us!) of sales, bargains...:)

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2011

Exactly the same here. Most of the ones I see are for teaching resources, but there are a few others thrown in. I just keep scrolling.

34. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2011

Amanda, I'm one that thinks that forums won't be widely used if they become subscription based but it is kinda like the iTunes store. Many games are free if you don't mind the ads. Then if people really like to play that game often, they will sometimes opt to buy the paid version to get it ad free. It's voluntary so it draws more people that way.

Interesting about the fact that your advertisers are US based. I do pay extra to get an American IP address. I should try turning it on when I use this site and see if it helps.

For the most part, I really don't mind the ads. Most of them are tastefully done and I do once in a while click on something. I don't really like the ones in the middle of the thread but I can hold out for awhile on that one too. It was just this one and a few singles ones (which are not coming up on this forum) that gets on my nerves. Otherwise, a little advertisement to keep things free is perfectly okay with me.

35. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 29, 2011

I didn't mean to be rude but some message boards do it. Personally the ads slow my computer down so I wouldn't mind paying. Of course I meant it to be optional. The board I post at costs $12/ year for ad free viewing. Of course it's free to view w/ ads. I'm just saying it's an option.

36. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2011

It wasn't rude. It was a good suggestion.

37. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2011

MissJill, I didn't think you were rude either.

I know I wouldn't pay, only because I am pretty darn broke right now. Also, the ads don't bother me at all! I really don't mind them. I've even clicked on a few in the past when they DID match my needs (one was for bridal dresses when I was hunting for them for my friends wedding, and of course, those were the ads I saw for the longest time on here). I don't mind, don't care, and am happy just to have this free resource. :)

38. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 30, 2011

By the way, I turned on the American IP address portal and it worked. I've gone into about 20 threads and I'm not getting anything else except teacher ads much less inappropriate ads. I wasn't leaving it on before because I had limited bandwidth each month but ironically they just changed that. Now it is unlimited. :) Good timing!