goodreads

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by glitterfish, Jan 16, 2010.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

Is anyone on goodreads.com? I decided I'd been watching WAY too much tv for the past few months so I made a new year's resolution to read 52 books this year. (After all, I'm always telling my students to read, read, read, so I should walk the walk myself.) I always loved to read as a child so it's been nice to get back into that habit of being a bookworm. Anyways, to keep me motivated and just for fun, I'm keeping track of/rating all the books I read on this nifty website. Most of them are just for fun, but I also read an educational/teaching-related book now and then. It would be fun to see what others are reading, too. If any of you are on there, find me (glitterfish on there, too!) and add me as a friend so we can share books.

:hugs:

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 16, 2010

Hey, glitter! Great idea! I just added you (Jem on there as well). I'll start building my 'library' this weekend!

4. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

Go Bookworms!

Yay,I'm glad you joined, Jem! I'm having fun keeping track of my books like teachers often have their students do. I've tried doing this in a notebook/book log format before, but I always seem to misplace or forget about it after a while. Any other bookworms out there?

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 16, 2010

Oh, I LOVE GoodReads!

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 16, 2010

Okay - could someone explain to me - what is GoodReads?

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2010

I signed up too but i can't figure out how to add friends. I think that's a great goal of 52 books a year! I think I'll give it a try also.

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 16, 2010

I love to read!! I signed up also, my user name is the same as here (Chrissteeena). I did that customized list that they had at the beginning... now all I have to do is remember what books I have actually read to add them to the list. I'll do that sometime this weekend.

TeacherNY- if you click on Friends towards the top, it will bring you to a page to add friends =)

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2010

Ok, thanks. My name there is TeacherNY.

10. Miss.W

Miss.W Companion

Jan 16, 2010

I also joined up and added those of you who said you had the same names. Sounds like fun!:)

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 16, 2010

I signed up - same name as here! I can't wait to start! Last year I read 25, my goal is 30 this year. This will be an awesome way to keep track of and find new books.

12. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

I joined. My name there is Contessa.

13. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

I can't remember who asked, but Bookreads is just a webpage where you can keep track of the books you read. You can also write reviews and rate the books (just like you see on amazon or similar sites.) You can categorize the kind of books your reading and you can view other member's/friends book lists for ideas of books you might like to read next. You can make a list of books you want to read, etc. (Really you could do much of this on paper, but it's much more fun online!) I am loving it as a a way to finally simply keep track of the books I am reading. I check out most of my books from the public library and I have a horrible memory for remembering what it was that I just finished reading. it's satisfying to go back and be able to look over what I've read throughout the year and reflect on it. For upper middle school/high school teachers, this could even be a tool to incorporate into the classroom isntead of a book log (?) I'm so glad to see some of you joining. Be sure to add me as a friend (glitterfish)!

14. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 16, 2010

You know that's an awesome idea! I think I am going to keep that in mind for when I start teaching. I would have loved this when I was in school. There was this one class that I took where the professor had us reading 15 books (pretty much a book a week). I honestly can't remember any of the books I read. :whistle:

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 16, 2010

I'm on my 5th book for this month! All of you on that site have given me some great ideas for the next books I will be checking out.

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 16, 2010

I added myself under this screen name :) Add me as your friend, everyone!

17. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2010

Sounds like a good site. I will have to sign up. A good site to get books at is the Paperback book Swap. You post the books you have already read and when someone wants it you send it to them. Then when you see a book you want you request it and they send it to you. I have been using it for years and it works great. It costs about $2.00 to mail a book so that is much cheaper than buying a new book but not as cheap as going to the library.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

18. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2010

I am there now. You can friend me if you want. I couldn't get my same screen name as here so I am RosieO. I hope people keep reading this otherwise if I friend them they will have no idea who RosieO is and might ignore me!

19. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Jan 17, 2010

I also love shelfari.com -- awesome site!

20. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jan 17, 2010

I'm there. I've friended y'all.

21. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 17, 2010

Mrs.M, there's about 10 contessas listed when I searched for you. Which one are you? Would love to friend you!

22. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 18, 2010

Studentteach--

shelfari looks really fun! Are you on there? What's the difference between the 2? I like how it looks like a real bookshelf on the webpage with the covers displayed. Cute. I think I'll stick to one book site for now, but maybe in the future...

23. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 18, 2010

I thought I read a lot, but never occurred to me to keep track of the books I read. Fun idea!

24. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 18, 2010

Great idea! I just joined!! I'm signed up as JenniferW - in case you get a friend request from me! :)

25. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

I just joined, and I have the same screen name - kimrandy1.

26. mrsnikki

mrsnikki Companion

Jan 19, 2010

I love to read too..I hope you all don't mind if I join in.. I never can find enough good books!

27. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 19, 2010

I've kept track of the books I've read in a journal. I started in Oct. of 1993 and have listed every single book with title, author and date completed. It is so great to look back and find a favorite author. So far, I've listed 733 books.

28. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Jan 19, 2010

:eek: That's a lot of books! I wish I could just read book after book after book... BUT... I'm not going to start reading for fun though until after I pass my test- need to stay focused! :lol: Which is challenging :lol:

29. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

Does it count of the book is only been partially read or how about getting credit for books bought with good intentions to read yet still sit on the shelf unopened? :)

30. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jan 20, 2010

Upsadaisy, that's amazing!

Mrsnikki, just added you. At first I didn't realize who you were....but now I figured it out!

What fun to have a little group from here. One of these days we'll have to start a book club with a "teacher book." I think you can do that as a part of the site.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 20, 2010

I've got to stay on the honor system. No partial reads allowed on my list.

32. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

Ok-got all the friend requests! I'm on book number three in five days, so I hope my book list grows quickly!

Daisy-that's fantastic!! Not only the number, but the ability to keep adding books. I tend to start things like that, and then forget to keep them up...

33. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 21, 2010

That's what I would do too. Also, I am only adding books I've read since January 1st so my list will be pretty short for a while.

34. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 20, 2010

Check in time! How are you guys doing with your book-a-week goal? I just finished book number 6, although I feel like I've read more than that. But I know I haven't, as I've loved recording them in GoodReads, so I know it's accurate. I'm about to jump into book number 7, Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. I need to read two books next week to catch up, as we're entering our eighth week of the year.

Anyone else doing well with the goal?

35. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Feb 21, 2010

Hi Jem! I'm on book 20, but I've been counting EVERYTHING I've been reading, including YA books and some very short poetry anthologies so I kind of cheated a bit. ;) I'm really enjoying recording my reads on the site. It's funny how something little like that can motivate me so much.

36. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

I def. include my YA and children's books-they are mostly what I read! ;) I love reading your reviews, Glitter-you are a talented writer!!

37. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Feb 21, 2010

I joined, too and friend-requested a bunch of you. I'm TeacherShelly on there, too.

38. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

Feb 21, 2010

This sounds fun! I'm on my 6th or 7th book this year. I only know a few of them, I donate them to the library as I read them. I might join up when I have some time tomorrow!

39. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 30, 2011

I was excited to find this thread when I searched. I LOVE goodreads and have been wanting more friends. I just friend requested a bunch of you. I wasn't sure which Jem or Contessa to choose, but I would love to add you gals as well.

If you get a friend request from Alicia or Paperheart, that's me.

If you have a goodreads.com account, please friend me.

user is paperheart there as well

www.goodreads.com/paperheart is the direct link. :)

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 1, 2011

I sent you a friend request!

41. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

wonderful!