Goodbumps for read-aloud?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

A boy in my classroom brought in the Goosebumps book Stay Out of the Basement for a read-aloud. I remember reading Goosebumps books in 5th grade, and they were pretty scary to me at that age (I teach 2nd grade).

Do you think this series is too scary to do as a read-aloud for 2nd graders? One of my students was almost crying after I showed a Bookflix cartoon clip of Where the Wild Things Are, so I'm thinking it would be...If so, how do I break the news to the boy without hurting his feelings?

3. a2z

a2z Maven

Oct 9, 2011

Yes, too scary for some - not all.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 9, 2011

Not appropriate for a read aloud. Say thank you to the child, tell him he may read it at home but that you think it's too scary for a class read aloud. Period.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

Thanks, everyone. I don't really remember these books too well, so I thought I would check!

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

Very good question---
    I don't think it is wise to have your students choose your read-alouds. If you think you must read this read aloud, than soon someone else will bring in a book to read aloud and you'll feel that you have to read it. Also, literature is so powerful. Best for you to choose which ones you think will be best to turn them on to reading. I do listen to which books my students like and do consider them against the ones I've chosen.

Also, I never ever read aloud a book that I haven't read myself. It sounds like you haven't read this one. Many good books have a few parts I end up having to skip over. You need to be ready for that or you could end up sharing some items that you wish you wouldn't have.

Personally, I think Goosebumps should wait until 3rd grade. Maybe if you feel you have a mature group you could read it in May near the end of the year.

How do you handle this student? I would thank them so much for bringing in this book. Then, I would say how happy I am that I can read this book now. Then, I'd actually read the book (over time) (Goosebumps are quick reads). I'd share and discuss with him the book. I'd point out parts I liked and let him share parts he liked. Then, I'd share with the class how I really enjoyed the book. He'll beam. Then return the book with a nice thank you post it. He'll be happy and you'll still be in control of your read-a-louds.

7. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 9, 2011

I think some parents may have a problem with this book as well because I know we have some parents that don't want their students to check them out.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 10, 2011

I wouldn't read Goosebumps.

I would read:

- In a Dark, Dark Room (which is SUPER scary but appropriate for kids in 2nd grade)

- Bailey School Kids books, like Witches Don't Do Backflips... in these books the kids always THINK the adult is some kind of monster, but of course they aren't :)

- There is also a scary Magic Tree House, the one about Haunted House on Hallows Eve or Good Night for Ghosts

- You can also read the Scholastic Jr. Classics which include The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Frankenstein and others like that...

9. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Oct 11, 2011

You could also consider reading Junie B. Jones Boo and I Mean It! by: Barbara Park.

10. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Oct 14, 2011

I wouldn't do Goosebumps in 2nd grade. I remember reading one about a ventriloquist's dummy in later elementary school and it scared the crap out of me. I would choose my own read alouds, as well. Many parents don't appreciate using "too-old" content in grade school (like a teacher who showed Jurassic Park to first graders!!).