Good websites for students' computer time?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by socalimommy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. socalimommy

socalimommy Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

I was just given 5 computers for my classroom! Whoo Hoo! Now I wish I had kept better track of websites that were recommended in my classes for students to use.

So...I'm hoping to add in a computer rotation into my classes. I have mod/severe 6-8th grade, so they are on a k-4th level. I'm looking for some recommendations for websites (free).

I know about www.spellingcity.com, and I also know about starfall. I've used history.com and khanacademy.com. Others?

3. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Dec 12, 2011

ABCya.com is good, as is http://www.coolmath.com/ Lots of educational games for all levels. Tumblebooks is cool and has a free trial.

Also, if you are looking for something strictly for "leisure" time, depending on the level of your students, you may have success with the ZAC browser or Kidzui.

I teach kids with autism who often get distracted by all the extraneous stuff on websites (links, pop ups, etc.). You can download the ZAC browser which "organizes" popular kids' websites into categories (videos, drawing, puzzles, games, etc.) and then automatically puts them into a choice board type format where kids can access all the stuff on regular websites (say, PBS kids), but not click on the links or popups, etc.

As I have a number of students who find these sites really motivating, I have no problem with using them for reward/leisure time, even though they are probably not super educational.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 13, 2011

socalimommy, let me recommend Richard Byrne's Web site "Free Technology for Teachers", http://www.freetech4teachers.com. I seem to recall him posting several Web sites just in the last few weeks that might serve your students well.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2011

If you have any kids doing multiplication yet, multiplication.com is good. Storyonline.net is great, actors read stories aloud. Also primarykidsgames.com has some stuff.