Good Vacuum

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Soccer Dad, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 18, 2010

Does anyone have a good vacuum recommendation? We bought a Hoover upright two years ago and the thing sucks--it was supposed to be the best on the market by Hoover and it just spreads the dust around on the carpet and doesn't pick up most particles. We clean the container way more than we should just in case it's that, but have come to decide it just stinks!

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

I love my dyson.

They're pricey, but they work!

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 18, 2010

I feel your pain! I also had a Hoover for several years, and all it did was spit the dust back at my feet. Last year I got a Bissel Healthy Home Vacuum, and it's so much better! The first time I used it I had to empty it twice, it sucked up so much dust! :) My house is so much cleaner now.

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

Dyson here, as well. The Animal (3 dogs and 2 cats helped choose that model.) It is several years old and still works great.

6. glen

glen Companion

Sep 18, 2010

We have a Bissel bagless that I bought about 18 months ago- I HATE it! The connections are bad- sometimes it's the electrical wires/power that disconnect, sometimes it's the beater bar. It does a great job when it works, but it takes twice as long to vacuum because I have to keep fixing the connections!

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

I have a hoover windtunnel. I love it. I don't; however, have the bagless version. I don't like bagless in general. Dumping the container always seems to make a huge mess. Anyway, my vac was on the cheap side...a little over $100.00. I don't find the bags annoying at all. The only thing I don't like is doing edges, but the attachments are easy enough to use.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

I have a Miele, which is European made (Sweden? I'm not sure.) It is a step up from a Riccar. I think you can only get it from a vacuum cleaner dealer, not in stores. I bought it 9 years ago and it was expensive then - around $800 - but it is going strong. I'm supposed to get yearly or 6-month 'tune-ups'. I recommend it. Hope mine lasts forever.

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

Another vote for Dyson. It sucks--but the way a vacuum should! :D

10. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

I think my parents have a Bissel

It is a lifesaver during allergy season

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 18, 2010

We were giving a dyson as a wedding present last year. We love love love it! We had a bissell for pets or something like that. It was ok but it is horrible compared to the dyson. My mom has a hoover and it is ok, and my grandmother has a miele and I HATE IT! I bring my own vacuum to her house when I go over to clean.

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 18, 2010

I have a Dyson also. I got it from Target-it cost around $350 I think, but it came with a $100 Target gift card.

13. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 18, 2010

We love our Dyson, too! It was a wedding gift for us and my mom was able to use a 20% off coupon from Bed, Bath, and Beyond on it even though it said it excluded Dyson products - the cashier tried it and it worked so she saved quite a bit.

14. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Sep 19, 2010

Thanks for the replies everyone--we're going to Target today to probably get a Dyson!

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

Let me know how it works because our Hoover sucks in a bad way too :lol:

16. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

Out of curiosity, what model hoover do you guys have that stinks so badly? I love mine. Even more so because it was so inexpensive.

17. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

I have a Dirt Devil (thumbs down)
    and a Hoover Power Plus 12 amps (thumbs down)

I get SO tired of all the hair accumulating in the brush and the belts breaking. It's disgusting. I can't even replace the Hoover one because they don't make them anymore. I need a belt but can't find one....

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Sep 19, 2010

I would absolutely love a Dyson. I'm going to wait until I get a puppy though:)

19. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

Go to Bed Bath and Beyond so you can use the 20% off coupon (they take expired coupons too)!!! Target has the worst return policy in case something by chance went wrong with it..i love target but never buy anything "big" there!

I bought my mom(at BB&B with the coupon) the Dyson for xmas like 3 or 4 years ago and its the best!

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

I LOVE my dyson, seriously it was one of the best things we registered for when we got married.

21. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

Does the dyson come in different models? How do I know which one to get? Also, are they heavy? My stairway is carpeted and I'm wondering how much of a trouble it would be to lug the vacuum around.

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

I also have a miele Soalris Turbo Plus vac which is the best little vacuum I could wish for. I bought it before Dysons came out. It cost a small fortune but works so well on my wood floors and carpet.

23. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Sep 20, 2010

This may be a good site to start with:

http://www.vacuumwizard.com/dyson-vacuum-cleaners.html

I have a DC24 which is one of the lightweight models. I don't think it is heavy (except when I accidentally dropped it on my foot - that did kind of hurt! ;) but you'd really have to try them out in the store because obviously what one might think is heavy, another may not. It really depends what you want to get out of it. If you have pets, the Animal one is a good investment. If you have asthma/allergies, then that model is probably a better fit.