Good time to start teacher prep program?

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by sabrina84, Aug 6, 2008.

1. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Just curious what everyone thinks is a good time in one's life to start a teacher prep program.

A bit of a background: It's been a little over a year since I got my BFA, and I'm now working on a career as a graphic designer. I'm not sure if I want to leave my career quite yet, but I am taking the steps towards becoming a teacher (registered for the CBEST in October and studying for the CSET). I also just got a new job that I'm very excited about, and would like to enjoy that for at least a bit.

I guess my options are to:

1. Stay at the new job for a year or so, and jump into a teacher prep program after that.

2. Stick with my current career for at least a couple of years, then start a family, stay home with the kids for a bit, and when I'm ready to go back to work, go through a teacher prep program.

3. Stop freaking out about planning my life and just let things happen.

So I guess I'm curious as to how the rest of you did it and if it worked out well for you, and whether you would change the timing if you could.

Thanks!

3. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Really... look into an online teacher prep program... find one that is go at your own pace - sorta... that way you can be working on it while you're working for real. It will give you time to learn methods and foundations before you have to take the experience classes..
    http://wgu.edu/education/teacher_certification.asp

4. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

I've thought about that, but I would really prefer an in-person program. I feel like I would get more out of it based on previous experiences I've had with online classes.

Also, most programs seem to have 10-25 hours of student teaching per week. How do you do that through an online school?

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

My school will find a placement in your area for student teaching. You give them schools in the area - or districts - and they call around and find somewhere for you to work. It could help if you knew someone - a teacher or a parent or someone at the school, But in my case i didnt know anyone. They placed me, gave me contact information and start dates. I contacted my host teacher and principle about a week early to meet them and discuss paper work.. and I start on Monday.

I've also taken classes online through other schools... most schools they do online classes as an afterthought... My school they dont have any other classes this is their focus. Yes it is very self paced and there is no reall "class" you have to attend weekly, there are many resources for students - including school sponsored and student sponsored forums.

-- i realize now i sounds i'm trying to sell the school... It just worked out really well for me..

If not online - shouldn't there be somewher you can do night classes for a while until you have to do student teaching..

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2008

Many CSUs with teacher-preparation programs have a part-time track that meets in the evenings. In addition, most of the private schools with satellite programs have ONLY evening tracks (I'm thinking of National University, Chapman, Redlands, Azusa Pacific, La Verne, Phoenix, Biola, and there are probably a couple others I'm forgetting). The CSUs will be the cheapest, though. And you will still have to student teach during the day no matter what, but the part-time tracks and programs concentrate your student teaching at the end rather than scattering it through the program.

7. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

Sabrina... what school are you looking at attending? There are some CSU schools that are absolutly terrible

8. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I guess I'll look into schools that start out part time until the student teaching.

Catcherman22 - SF State is the only CSU I've looked into.

9. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Aug 9, 2008

Ahh sorry then.. I have no experience with the northern schools.

I know at the school I looked at before joining my intern program.. the 45 hours of pre experience was covered in a prereq.. I hear thats pretty common

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2008

Early field experience is pretty common in CSU programs, and some others as well: the point is to make sure that prospective teachers really DO have a fair idea what they're getting into.

11. sabrina84

sabrina84 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Yeah, it's definitely a good idea. I would want to spend some time in an actual classroom before deciding if I even want to go through with this. I haven't been in a high school classroom since, well, high school. :p

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

I am currently ay Chapman. I student teach this month. I have loved their program...

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2008

At the main campus, TamiJ, or at one of Chapman's satellite centers?

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

At their extended campus. It is not satellite. The instructors are actually there in the classroom.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2008

"Satellite" doesn't mean the instructors aren't in the classroom; that would be "Web-based" or "distance learning". "Satellite" just means the program takes place somewhere other than the main campus.

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

ok

Got it.. lol. Well I did all of my undergraduate in a "satellite" program which actually meant that the instructor was on campus and we watched them on a TV via satellite. Chapman refers to the off-campus program as an "extended education." In any case, I am participating in the "extended education," or "satellite" program, as you refer to it.

17. MandiNicole

MandiNicole Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

Flexible Program

Hi sabrina84, I'm not sure where in CA you're located, but I know at San Jose State, where I'm starting my MS credential, they have a program called "Flexible" where you take classes part time or full time, at whatever pace you want. 50 hours of pre-professional experience are required, and a bunch of other typical stuff all the CSU's require. It's great because you can cram it in one year, or stretch it out over a couple if you need to. Most classes are evening, I've seen, too. I've figured the cost to be about $7,000 for the entire program (based on units). Apparently I'm too new to post a link, but if you search Google for "SJSU" their homepage is the first link and you can find more info on the site.

Good luck!