Good Thoughts Please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by workingwithkids, Jul 22, 2018.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jul 22, 2018

Two years ago, I taught middle school and was very unhappy. I spoke with my principal and he told me that he would approve a transfer for the following year. When it came time for transfers, he refused to sign the request. I did not list him or my assistant principals as references on my application. I left the school at the end of the year and subbed last year in a different district. I have been flooded with interview requests from the new district. A few weeks ago, I had an interview and was offered a job on the spot on a Wednesday. I was super excited to work with this principal and her school. On the following Monday, I called the school because I had not heard anything from the district. The principal told me that the previous school had given me a bad reference so she could not give me a job. I called my previous school but they won't return my phone calls. Last Wednesday, I had another interview at a different school and was offered a position later that evening. I signed my intent the next morning but the intent states that it is contingent on background check, references, and certification check. I really want this job but I am scared I might lose it again.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jul 22, 2018

Did something happen that would make you be getting these bad references? You only mentioned that you were unhappy.

4. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 24, 2018

Dont list that principal as a reference. Sometimes they will require to speak with your last principal regardless though. I accepted a new position this summer, and they did not contact my old school. I did not list my old school as a reference. I only used teacher friends as my references, and only those listed were contacted.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Jul 28, 2018

I had a terrible year first year. I even had a bookbag thrown at me right before my observation. The superintendent wanted me fired, but my assistant principal spoke up for me. I asked her for a reference that summer, but she never replied. I found out she retired that year, so knowing she could not be reached. from her. I composed a reference based on some good things she said about me, ie content knowledge, real-world experience even though my management sucked.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2018

So you faked a reference from a supervisor? And used it for a job?

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 29, 2018

Surely we misread that!
    Best wishes to finding the position that you want that suits your style best.
    I will say a prayer for you. :)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2018

Let us know how it works out, workingwithkids. Good luck.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019