Good teachers reinvent themselves. Can you share?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Doug_HSTeach_07, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Aug 26, 2015

Hello all,

Long-time high school history/social studies teacher for 8 years in a small school. I decided I wanted a new challenge, and took a position in a setting completely different than what I had grown accustomed to. Here are some of the differences.

- Block schedule instead of 45-minute classes
    - Middle school instead of high school
    - Collaborative, team-oriented mindset and a history "team" instead of doing everything myself
    - Much larger community instead of small town where everyone knew me
    - 36 students instead of 15 in my classroom
    - 2 preps instead of 7

This transition has been the most challenging thing I've ever done. I've learned a thousand new things and am learning more every day- about the daily operations of the school, expectations, finding a sub. I'm on overload! But yet I remembered something my old principal told me, "good teachers constantly re-invent themselves." I feel that saying is so true as it applies to my current situation.

Can you share time(s) where you have had to re-invent yourself as a teacher? How did it go?

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 26, 2015

I used to struggle terribly with classroom management. Last year I buried myself in learning about. It took daily readings and musings, little tricks to remind myself... I'm happy to report my administration has been talking behind my back about my awesome management (which I think I still need to improve!)

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 26, 2015

I haven't had to completely reinvent, but I only started teaching a few years ago. Each year has had something different (the addition of a new elective, reducing a period and running tech stuff for the school, etc.).

I think if I was going to reinvent myself entirely, I might move to High School and teach Physics/Chemistry. Before I can even think of doing that though, I would like at least a Masters in Physics or Engineering (I just don't think I'd be experienced/knowledgeable enough to do it otherwise, even if I could pass the CSET without it).

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 26, 2015

I went from a tuition-based private preschool in a wealthy area to a government funded preschool program for low-income families.
    Some might not think it's that different since it's the same age group, BUT OH is it so different. I feel like a brand new teacher again.