GOOD student bullied all year...throws punch...gets suspended

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Oct 26, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 26, 2012

I am furious! We have a student at my school who every single teacher loves. He is such a great kid. He is kind, extremely intelligent, and just an all-around good soul. Let's call him "Kid A." "Kid B".....how do I describe him.............well, just think of everything opposite, and that describes him.

The bad apple has been picking on "Kid A" all year, calling him a derogatory word that people use to defame homosexuals. He has threatened to beat his "a**" several times and the kid reported it to an adult EVERY SINGLE TIME. Apparently today, "Kid A" had enough and threw a punch. Now "Kid A" is suspended.

Several teachers had gone to administration before this all exploded. What was done? Nothing! Is it wrong of me to want "Kid B" to be taught a lesson the hard way?

3. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 26, 2012

Understandable and frustrating, but what Kid A did was wrong as well. If you and your colleagues reported Kid B's behavior prior to this incident, and nothing was done, then it is on the admins hands. In my district, we are to report all bullying to admin, and they take it from there. (sadly, not often the case)
    I am sure that if Kid A is as wonderful as he is, then his parents will have plenty to say to your administration.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2012

I agree with this.

Was the bullying reported to admin?

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2012

Was Kid B punished at all before?

6. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 26, 2012

Good for Kid A!

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 26, 2012

Not so much...I forgot to mention that "Kid B" beat him up pretty bad. He is suspended too, but I don't care about that. (I'm terrible, I know.)

8. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 26, 2012

Nothing serious...just a "talking to."

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 26, 2012

So Kid A was defending himself when he punched the other kid? And a zero tolerance policy had him suspended?

I'd be angry too. I would also try my best to find a way to make it clear to the parents of Kid A that I had witnessed this behavior for a long time and nothing had been done about it. So if the parents decide to take the matter to court, they'd know who to supeona (sp?).

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 26, 2012

"Subpoena".

The school's administration has a great deal to answer for.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2012

It's a perfect storm. My school chooses its battles with a concerning student on my grade level...mostly because they don't want to pay for a specialized school for him. Sad for everyone involved.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

Did they both get the same length of suspension?

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 26, 2012

It is sad but that is how it usually goes... nothing is done to the bully until the victim knocks the living daylights out of them, then the victim gets in trouble. It happens everywhere. Same crap happens in Alabama.

14. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 26, 2012

Wow, that's really sad. It sounds like the poor kid had enough and stood his ground. :(

A similar thing happened to my nephew last year. There was a kid who was a bully to everybody, all year long. My nephew finally had enough one day and decked him. They got the same amount of detentions even though the bully had been to ISS and in and out of the P's office all year long, and my nephew had NEVER been in trouble. We understood that he had to have some kind of punishment. I mean, he hit somebody. We were just pretty hacked off it was the same. All that being said, his P let my nephew go after two days of detention while the other kid had to serve all five. My BIL is a teacher, so he respected the P's punishment. He didn't agree with it, though. At. All. It was kind of awkward because at the time he was at my building, so it was my P. I didn't get involved, but I was simmering inside when I saw him in detention.

Beth

15. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 26, 2012

I'm with "MikeTeachesMath."

:thumb:

16. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Oct 26, 2012

The same exact thing happened to me in high school. I was bullied by one certain guy (who happened to be an ex-friend), and near the end of the year I got so sick of it and punched him out. That's all the security guard saw, so I got in trouble and was suspended, but not before I got my ass kicked. But of course since I threw the first punch, he was defending himself.

I never reported my bully, though. I was getting bullied over my sexuality and I chose to deal with it myself rather than have my parents find out about it.

I really feel for Kid A.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 26, 2012

I don't blame Kid A for finally standing his ground and handling the situation himself, but he still has to accept the consequences of that decision. Sometimes, the consequences are worth it. Even though the bully got the best of him in the fight, I would imagine the bully will think twice before bullying him again, now that he knows he might get another punch in the face.

I don't see this as "Zero Tolerance". Instead, I see it as applying the rules equally. I faced a very similar incident myself in high school. One student began picking on my our freshman year and was constantly harassing me, trying to start a fight. I didn't fight because (a) I'm just not a fighter, and (b) he had an older brother that was much bigger and stronger than I. Still, I finally stood up to him one day when he cornered me between two buildings. He said "If you didn't have those glasses on, I'd whip your a$$ right now." I calmly took my glasses off and handed them to one of the spectators. The "bully" began literally shaking when I did that. I never made a threatening move and did not throw a single punch. One of his brothers friends shoved the bully into me trying to force a fight. The bully threw one punch when he was shoved, hitting me in the chest. I just stood there. When we went to the office, we were given our choice of 3 licks (from the paddle) or 3 days detention during lunch. We both took detention.

Was it fair that *I* got the same punishment (or ANY punishment) for the incident when I never threw a single punch and this kid had harassed me for more than a year? I didn't really think so, but it didn't matter....those were the rules. The teachers never saw all the times he picked on me, so they didn't know the history between us. All the AP knew was that we were involved in a "fight", so we both got the same consequence. I was very much the "good student", just like Kid A. This was the ONLY time I was ever sent to the Principal's Office in 4 years. The AP was also personal friends with my parents. Looking back, though, I can appreciate the fact that he didn't let any of that sway his judgment and he handed down equal consequences for that specific incident.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 27, 2012

I do not blame Kid A for throwing a punch either. I was bullied rather frequently as a child due to my disabilities by two kids who lived on my street.

Although they never did it at school (and their parents refused to believe their child could do such a thing or condoned the bully), so they never were punished.

19. Momzoid

Momzoid Companion

Oct 27, 2012

Its stories like these are why the parents of my students tell them that if anyone hits them to hit back and hard! We as teachers don't see everything and the administrators do not always follow up on the consequences.

20. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2012

Agreed. What the good kid did was RIGHT. If none of the adults did anything about it he did what anyone with any sense would do. Protect himself. I get so tired of adults knowing exactly how kids should act all the time. Sometimes bullies need to be communicated with in the way they seem to only understand. This is one of the bad results of zero tolerance. Common sense is sent to the rear so grownups can say :This was the rule and by God the rule is king"

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 27, 2012

I personally think that sometimes the best way to deal with a bully is to turn my back and let the kid get the crap beat out of him. I had a bully in my class last year. He was smaller than the other kids. He was smart enough to do just enough not to get in trouble. He was also good at getting others to do his dirty work. The biggest boy in my class last year has mild autism characteristics. Bully loved picking on him...I wanted to tell Target to beat the poop out of him. I did everything in my power to protect Target but I couldn't be with him 24/7. The quietest child in my class finally knocked Bully into the wall and told him to back off. I forgot to punish Savior. I notice this year Bully has moved on to another child!

22. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 27, 2012

Reminds me of my kid 6 years ago. Every year he got the citizenship awards. He kept coming home and telling me about bullies. For some reason, one would walk with him every day, talk to him nicely, then tell him he didn't like him because he was poor and then just slug him. I always told him to tell staff and he said he did but they would never do anything. He promised me he was going to hit the kid back the next day. Again I warned him not to, warned him to tell the staff, but I knew he was going to. So I went to the school and spied on him. Sure enough the kid hit him and my kid swung his back pack at him best he could, but missed. This happened right in front of staff on the playground. I yelled and ran onto school property kind of making a big deal of it - probably embarrassing staff as well as my kid. I took the two boys to the office and they acted like it was no big deal and nothing was really done.

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 27, 2012

How sad! Unfortunately, I am waiting for the same type of thing to occur at my school. We have a student (call him Kid A) who has bullied his way through 3 grades that I know of (k-2). We are also on our third P in three years (don't ask, but our new P is GREAT). This child has been reported multiple times by numerous adults, because he picks on any child smaller, fatter, smarter, dumber, or in any way different from himself. I stepped out of my classroom one day to find him punching another student (twice in the stomach, then once in the groin - all intentional), so I "wrote him up." My P objected to the term bullying in the referral because it wasn't a "sustained practice of bullying against a single child." No. This bully does it to everyone, so he's not a bully? Really? Give me a break! I amended the referral, but am still not happy about it. Oh, and his grandma works as a para at our school, but he still acts like Brutus!