Good song for first grade video?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yellowdaisies, May 22, 2013.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 22, 2013

I'm making an end of the year video for my first graders - it's a montage of pictures and videos taken throughout the year. :) Does anyone have ideas for good songs for the video? So far I have "When Can I See You Again?" by Owl City (from Wreck it Ralph) and "You've Got a Friend in Me."

Any others? I'm having some trouble. I'm looking for something upbeat. :)

3. time out

time out Comrade

May 23, 2013

I used I can tell we are gonna be friends by the white stripes before. It goes perfectly with school.

4. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

May 23, 2013

"Count on Me" by Bruno Mars is really cute.

5. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 23, 2013

There's a few songs on the Curious George soundtrack that might go really well too.

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 23, 2013

Wish I could help, but the only song I could think of was "The Song that Never Ends," lol!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 23, 2013

Here are the songs I chose for our end-of-year DVD:

1. My Wish (Rascal Flatts)
    2. You've Got a Friend (James Taylor)
    3. The Time of My Life (David Cook)
    4. We Go Together (John Travolta/Olivia Newton John)
    5. What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)
    6. Shooting Start (Owl City)
    7. Never Grow Up (Taylor Swift)
    8. Let Them Be Little (Billy Dean)

I showed it last night at Open House. However, I also showed it to the kids yesterday during class. I think pretty much all of us were in tears!

8. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

May 23, 2013

Cee Cee my Playmate
    Let them be Little

9. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 23, 2013

WOW these are some great ideas, and a lot of songs I wouldn't have thought of!!

YTG (or anyone else who's made one) - how long is your DVD? I feel like mine is getting really long really fast...lol. I am trying to figure out how much to cut out.

Also, how did you show it at Open House? I've been thinking about doing this, but wasn't sure if it should just be playing over and over, or if parents would just stop and see part of it, etc. I have a projector and everything, I was just having a hard time visualizing if the parents would actually stay and watch the whole thing or just see whatever's on the screen when they stop by.

And I KNOW I will cry when I watch this with the kids - I'm getting sad just making it!!! lol

10. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 23, 2013

Yes!!!!!

And to go with that, Joey Ramone did an amazing punk version of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World."

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 23, 2013

Our Open House was last night from 5:30-6:30. I told the kids that if they came right at 5:30, their parents could see the video and have a snack (I make/decorate cupcakes and cake pops for fun, so I made a ton for Open House).

Out of 24 students, 22 of them came right at 5:30 to see the video. It was about 12 minutes long. Then, I turned on the lights and parents were able to look around the classroom and speak with me. It was a great night. I'm thinking of burning a copy for each student, too, because a few parents asked for one.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 23, 2013

I love this idea!! Our school has food trucks as a fundraiser at Open House, so I may not do the snacks, but I really like the way you set this up! Mine is 8:38 right now and I still have all of June to include, which includes another field trip (we get out at the end of June and Open House is the week before), so it will probably end up being around the length yours is.

I'm planning to burn a copy for each student. I did it before in an after school program I worked at and it took FOREVER..but that was on a PC and was a few years ago (so an older computer). I'm hoping the Mac and iDVD make it easier. I am mostly proud of myself for using iMovie for the first time to make this. :D haha.