Good Social Studies text?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by stampin'teacher, Aug 2, 2011.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2011

I am teaching 4th grade at a new school in the fall, which currently has no Social Studies curriculum. It is a private school in southern CA, and the previous teacher focused the entire year on Medieval Times. (This school tried to allow teachers to focus the year on something that they are passionate about.)

They said the same to me, but also said they want to sway closer to the CA standards-which focuses on CA history in 4th grade. Every grade has a different book, and this particular teacher I'm replacing didn't even use a book to guide her teaching...she just made it all up on her own!:dizzy:

My question is, does anyone have advice on what social studies books you've used that you enjoyed? Last year my previous school used the Houghton-Mifflin series, but the book didn't really do much for me.:|

Any advice would be great! Thanks!!

3. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

I probably wouldn't be bogged down in a certain textbook since many prove to be inadequate when teaching social studies. Are you planning on simply doing California history (since that's what the standards are)? If so, I might honestly do a google search for California history curriculum and go from there.

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2011

I was thinking of doing a more thematic approach rather than teaching strictly chronologically. For example, have a unit focusing on government, regions/geography, religion, cultures, etc.

I am going to use my previous textbook as a guide, and then finding more exciting activities and projects to build the skeleton....the problem is...I don't know too many activities/projects!

5. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 2, 2011

When I was student teaching I used Social Studies Alive. It was great because it is student-centered and experiential.

6. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 2, 2011

In NC our SS standards are NC History. We use the Studies Weekly newspapers for SS. It is really awesome, has some great activities in it and comes with a teacher's guide with a quiz/test in it for each week. We supplement with other things too, but these are a majority of our resource. We don't even pull our SS books out other than to reference something!