Good response to when kids ask...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by EnglishMiss, Oct 31, 2006.

1. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Oct 31, 2006

the question we all love: "When in the real world are we ever gonna have to use this??"
    I'm getting into a poetry unit now and we were defining terms today with a powerpoint, and I got this question (out of one of my GT kids, incidentally). I tried to explain that besides being on the CSAPs, ACT, SAT, etc., these are ideas it's good to be familiar with because they show up in all kinds of writing and can help you understand the writer's intention. They responded "Well, who looks for alliteration when you're reading something for fun?!" Yes, I as an English major do, but most of my sophomores aren't seeing that in their future right now. So I feel like I'm not relating poetry to the "real world" at all - any suggestions? Or does anybody have a snappy comeback to the above question? Other subject areas feel free to chime in too - I think all subject matters get this comment at some point or another!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 31, 2006

Poetry wins the girls over.
    Any time you make a business flyer, you have to think of the most creative way to market your business and having various styles of writing skills, including poetry, will win that customer over.

Ask them to identify poetry/rhyming schemes in commercials/other types of media as an assignment.

Poetry is evident in SONGS. Maybe some of you will be the next American Idol.

Poetry helps practice and learn the rhythm of words in order to write the more persuasive "hire me/promote me" letters etc.

4. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Oct 31, 2006

I inquire, "Can you name me a time when it's good to be ignorant?" I say it's best to learn everything you can; to choose ignorance of anything is stupid.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Oct 31, 2006

Ooooh, I like this one. I'm filing it away for future use!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2006

Short answer: every time you turn on your IPOD, you're listening to poetry set to music.

Long answer (and this is coming from a math teacher): Can you imagine a world where no one bothered with poetry or art or anything they didn't "need"??? We don't NEED posters on the bulletin boards or Christmas light displays or clothing that looks nice-- or even ice cream!! But how dreary our world would be if no one spent time and energy on any of this. Poetry, and all the arts, enhance our world.

7. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

Next Friday on your REAL test. ;)

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2006

It shouldn't be any consolation, but you'll hear this from people taking teacher tests too. (Speaking of alliteration...)

9. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Nov 2, 2006

I can't WAIT to use this!!

I've used , "..because you don't want to be the dumb one in the conversation."

10. Lao Tsu

Lao Tsu Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

Use poetry to get girls.

11. Docere

Docere Rookie

Nov 4, 2006

That's a great response.