good read aloud novels...(5th grade)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HufflePuff, Oct 3, 2009.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 3, 2009

Any thoughts?

If they could be focused on character ed that would ROCK! :)

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 3, 2009

The Giver by Lois Lowry!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

I skipped over a couple parts I was uncomfortable with, but it is my favorite book by far and definitely can be used for character ed!

4. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Oct 3, 2009

Loser, by Jerry Spinelli. Although it is very funny at parts, I think it makes students think about how they treat others!

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Oct 3, 2009

Turn Homeward Hannalee

Shades of Gray

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2009

I respectfully disagree with reading The Giver with students who are much younger than seventh grade. The puberty issues and also the euthanasia are topics that I think are best left until students are more developmentally ready to talk about them.
    I know that some students are ready earlier than others for some topics, but as a read aloud I would hold off.

Fifth graders might enjoy some of Margaret Peterson Haddix's books. Perhaps also Hoot by Carl Hiassen.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2009

Rules
    No Talking (it often begins a no talking challenge among them which I LOVE! ;) )

Last year, I read aloud Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry since it is my favorite book. The kids love it, too. They follow it really well. However, I do think it is better suited for a novel study where everyone has their own copy.

8. mdee

mdee Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

A Classic

Every year I read Gentle Ben to my students. They fall in love with the main character, who is learning to take on more responsibility and to deal with the loss of his brother. This classic is fantastic for character ed. and my students love the cliff hangers!

9. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

My 6th graders are really enjoying Schooled by Gordon Korman. Bullying, charity and capitalism are all topics that are explored. The students and I think it's one of the funniest books EVER and we can't wait to read it. There is a discussion guide online if you google it that you can use for your character education. You can get very creative with the activities that you can do with this book.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2009

This is my favorite book. I have taught it to my extended sixth grade students, and with proper instruction they were able to appreciate the novel. I did, though, make them promise me they would read the book again in several years to discover things about Jonas and his community they didn't the first time through. :)

However, we do not have a class of extended students this year, and as much as it breaks my heart, I will not be teaching the novel. Many sixth graders would not understand it, much less fifth graders.

Also, it just really...bothers me...that components of Lowry's story were omitted.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2009

I love The Skin I'm In, which could be especially wonderful depending upon your student population. I read it with sixth graders, and I think it would be appropriate for fifth graders, but I would want to make sure.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 4, 2009

I prefer The Giver for 6th grade. I found Loser way too sad to read aloud.

My Side of the Mountain
    Shilo
    Maniac Magee
    Frindle (beginning of year)
    Number the Stars (end of year)
    Rascal
    The Landry News
    Dear Levi (about westward expansion)
    Sahara Special (about special ed)

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 4, 2009

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selnick.

14. km51571

km51571 Companion

Oct 4, 2009

beginning of the year read aloud

I start off each year with Frindle. The kids really enjoy the humor and then whenever they need to spell a word, I pully a Mrs. Granger and tell them to look it up!

15. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Oct 4, 2009

I love The Giver, but we did it in eigth grade. I can understand that some would feel it's a little too old for fifth graders. Number the Stars was also great; I think we did that in seventh grade. What about From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankenweiler or The Phantom Tollbooth. Both are great, have good lessons for children, and they both have movies you can show afterwards. I'm not an English teacher, though, so I don't know if they fit this age or are two young/old.

16. queenie

queenie Groupie

Oct 5, 2009

Oh, I had forgotten about Loser, Number the Stars, and Rules...all good choices!

While I agree that The Giver is more suited to upper middle school grades for a novel study or Literature Circle choice, I found that it was a good choice for a read aloud. It would depend on my group of kids and their maturity level, but it worked well for us. I did, unfortunately, feel the need to skip over the part about Jonas taking pills that kept him from sexual desires (NOT worded that way in the book, by the way) and the part about Jonas having a dream that his friend was bathing an old person. As far as the parts about "releasing" babies and old people, my kids did well with it. Again, it would depend on your group. It has been a couple years since I taught 5th grade, so maybe I had to censor more than I remember. I think you should read it and decide. It's an easy and really good read with many, many possibilities for discussion!

17. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Oct 11, 2009

Please check with your vertical team in middle school. Some of the books you mentioned might already be in use in an upper grade. A book we use as a class novel was read aloud by a classroom teacher in 6th grade last year. Now I have to find another book to read with my class.

18. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Oct 11, 2009

wow! thanks guys! i am trying to convince my p to let us do read aloud once or twice a week..he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

and luckily, i taught in the middle school last year, so I know all the books they taught. :)

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2009

I'm not trying to be mean, but I can't believe people read The Giver with their younger students but censor such important details. That breaks my heart. :( Why not just leave it for them to read when they are older?

20. goopp

goopp Devotee

Oct 11, 2009

There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom...great for bullying lessons.

21. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Oct 11, 2009

We read this novel during the year and I know it is going to make me cry!
    I read it over the summer by the pool and I cried LOL. So good though.

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 12, 2009

I agree!!

23. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 12, 2009

I have read this almost every year to my 5th graders. I did delete some of the bad language, but the message is clear-be yourself,especially as you enter middle school. My kids ALWAYS love it.

24. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 12, 2009

My 5th graders are enjoying My Teacher is an Alien right now, and all I can say is they DO NOT want me to stop! Great, fun, story!

25. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Oct 12, 2009

I read this book to my 5th graders at the beginning of the year every year.