Good read aloud novel?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by 100%Canadian, Sep 5, 2007.

1. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Sep 5, 2007

I'm teaching a 4/5 split but it's mostly fives. Can anyone recommend a decent but short novel (90-120 pages) for a read aloud? Something with mystery or suspense, if possible. I only have about a week+ to cover it so it should be quick but interesting. Thanks in advance.

3. nyteacher01

nyteacher01 Companion

Sep 5, 2007

Last year, my students enjoyed How to Be a Perfect Person in Just 3 Days.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 5, 2007

I'm almost done with Frindle, which seems to be quite common with 4th/5th graders. If you're willing to do two chapters some days (which is pretty feasible since some are only 3-5 pages) you could definitely do it in a week to week and a half. It's not mystery and suspense, but kids love it and it's great for studying character analysis and cause & effect.

5. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Sep 6, 2007

The 5th grade teacher before me loved that one. We're reading Fourth Grade Rats by Jerry Spinelli right now. It's not mystery/suspense, but it's great! My kids are hooked.

6. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 6, 2007

A great read aloud in the mystery/suspense genre is The Mysterious Matter of I.M. Fine. My kids loved it!:)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 6, 2007

How to Disappear Completely and Never be Found

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 6, 2007

Holes is very good too. It has mystery and suspense tied in with modern and historical settings. pretty quick read even if it looks a bit long.

9. smithf1

smithf1 Rookie

Sep 7, 2007

Novel read aloud

Hi,
    My fifth graders are enjoying There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar.

10. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 7, 2007

We read that last year. My kids loved it too.

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Sep 7, 2007

There's a relatively new book that I read last year called Punished. They loved it. It was part mystery and lots of fun!

12. kelbel7583

kelbel7583 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007

My kids are loving our read aloud Crash It is filled with humor, a touch of romance , (a school crush), and lessons on friendship and death.

13. darzie

darzie Companion

Sep 9, 2007

On My Honor

14. redbird5

redbird5 Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

oddly enuf my kids loved Tuck Everlasting...you can read in about a week if you read it to them im sure...definately full of suspense...atleast for a 5th grader( ok i admit i was hooked when i started reading it also)

15. tchrmom23

tchrmom23 Rookie

Sep 11, 2007

I read Tuck Everlasting for the first time this summer and I loved it too. Natalie Babbitt's descriptive writing is the best! I plan to read from that book for some Writer's Workshop lessons.
    We are reading Hatchet for our read aloud right now. Couldn't do it in the time frame needed here, but it's a great read aloud...

16. redbird5

redbird5 Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

we just read the courage of sarah noble and it took us 3 days...its not very many pages at all and an easy read...we read sign of the beaver before that and did a REALLY easy compare and contrast...

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 12, 2007

Seriously? This one (on Amazon) was a how-to manual on pseudocide. ??

18. darzie

darzie Companion

Sep 12, 2007

Hmmmmm.

19. TeaCHerAK

TeaCHerAK Rookie

Sep 12, 2007

We are reading I Freddy. Its funny and interesting. There are 5 other books in the series and most of them have suspense and action. My students love this book!

20. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Sep 14, 2007

Andrew Clements has a new book No Talking. My kids LOVED it. It is about girls and boys not talking and having a competition on who can say the fewest words in two days. The principal finds out and doesn't like the idea. But Dave explains to her why it is a good idea to say fewer words-like Ghandi. Enjoy!

21. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 14, 2007

My kids loved this too! They also like Holes.

22. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Sep 15, 2007

What about reading from the CS LEWIS collection of the chronicles of narnia?

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

Don't worry, TeacherShelley - I know there is an awful adult book with that same title. Keep looking because there is a good kids' book by that name. I promise.

24. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 15, 2007

It is by Sara Nickerson:

How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
    By Sara Nickerson
    Illustrated by Sally Wern Comport

Price: $5.99
    On Sale: 5/6/2003
    Formats: Paperback | Hardcover

Margaret's father died in a mysterious drowning accident when she was eight years old. Four years later, her mother still won't talk about it -- in fact, she doesn't talk about much of anything. But when Margaret's mother takes her and her little sister, Sophie, to a strange abandoned mansion and puts a FOR SALE BY OWNER sign in the front yard, Margaret is determined to solve the puzzle of her family, once and for all.

Armed with three strange clues -- a swimming medal, a key, and a handwritten comic book -- Margaret returns to the mansion alone. With the help of Boyd, the lonely, comic-book-obsessed boy next door, she discovers that truth can be stranger than fiction -- depending on who's telling the story.

25. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 15, 2007

I have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as a novel study. The kids love it every year. I have never tried the others. Personally I found A Horse and His Boy pretty slow, but kids may like it. It really doesn't connect to the previous one though.

27. FirstYear

FirstYear Rookie

Sep 16, 2007

I am reading Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli to my 5th graders. The kids are loving it and it brings up some great lessons that we can refer to throughout the year.

(It's about a girl who is against the grain and other students start out being uncomfortable, but come to accept her, and then try to change her. There are many great lessons for them to learn.)

28. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 16, 2007

A Wrinkle in Time?

29. Researcher

Researcher Rookie

Dec 9, 2007

My student's have loved Walk Two Moons (S. Creech).
    The fun part is using a southern accent...

30. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 13, 2007

My class loved when I read this aloud. It can be difficult, but it opened their eyes to science fiction!!!

31. MissMeliss

MissMeliss Rookie

Dec 14, 2007

I started reading "Gregor the Overlander" to the after school group I work with (5th graders) and they love it- especially the boys. One student was begging me to read and another said, "Wow, this is the first time he has ever liked a book!" and that made me feel good about reading it.

32. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 14, 2007

The teacher I worked with when I was student teaching was reading "The Old Willis Place" to the kids when I started with them. I missed the first part of the book, but caught the end. The kids loved it. Mystery...ghost story...it was a good read.

33. Madee

Madee Rookie

Dec 25, 2007

34. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Dec 27, 2007

I'm going to read "Nightmare Mountain" by Peg Kehret to my class when we get back from break. It's an adventure/mystery book. My teacher read it to my class when I was in 4th grade, and of all the read-alouds from elementary school, that book always stuck with me for some reason. It's a little longer than you wanted, 164 pages, but it's fast-paced.

35. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Dec 27, 2007

My grade listed our class novels in our blog, with reviews. There were two we started and didn't finish because we didn't like them: A Wrinkle in Time was one and I forget the other. Next year I plan on reading Holes, How to Live Forever (novel and picture story book) and the Red King.

36. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

One week? So many choices. How about the classic "Stone Fox"? Good suspense, surprise ending, have a box of tissue handy, nice for having kids rewrite the ending, or write a sequel...

("Willy whipped out his cell phone and called 911. Meanwhile, Doc ran up and started artificial resusitation....")

("Willy was near exhaustion when he finally got back home. As he climbed his front steps he heard a strange noise coming from under the porch. What was it? Suddenly a little black furry face popped out from between the steps! It was a puppy! And it looked just like Searchlight! Wow, I guess Searchlight had been a girl!")

37. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 1, 2008

Sorry, I wasn't quoting from the book. I was quoting from some of the rewrite ideas students have written.

And, by the way, when you all suggest these books, I end up spending a fortune at Amazon!

I just read "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and couldn't stop laughing. It's not a read aloud, though. But I'll give it to my reluctant reader.

38. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 1, 2008

My class pretty much cleaned out the supply of Diary of a Whimpy Kid at the school book fair. It is absolutely hilarious, because we can see the truth in it. We've all been there or know someone who has!

39. sterlingsilver

sterlingsilver New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Ditto on Frindle! Great story, quick reading.

40. kkrosesmom

kkrosesmom Rookie

Jan 3, 2008

I agree with Frindle! The kids loved it and it is fast. If you
    have more time my students loved The Tale of Despereaux
    by Kate DiCamillo.

41. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 3, 2008

I started reading Jennifer Murdley's Toad today. The kids are loving it. Bruce Coville is a favorite I have found over the years. He's not new so his books tend to get overlooked by the kids though so I have to reintroduce him every couple of years.