Good read aloud for fourth grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Oct 23, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2011

My students are low. I can't read long books, they need to be pretty short. We have read Fourth Grade Rats and Because of Winn Dixie. I would like for it to be an AR book so that my students can get points for it, since so many struggle to do this on their own. Also, I have a lot of boys. I wanted to read Witch of Blackbird Pond, but I think that this is way too advanced for this group.

Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 23, 2011

heavens54,

I think you'll find Witch of Blackbird Pond might be too difficult for 4th grade. Here are some I'd recommend more:

1. Measle and the Wrath Monk. (This is one of my students all time favorite books).

2. Shiloh
    3. The BFG
    4. There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathrooom
    5. The Witches
    6. Stone Fox
    7. My Teacher is an Alien
    8. The Indian in the Cupboard

** I have read all of these with my 4th graders except Measle which is the 1st book my 5th graders read on their own. They have all rated these really highly at the end of the year.

****I would not let this be used for AR. If AR is done correctly, the children find out exactly their level and then read books within that range. Therefore, they should be able to read AR books independently. By you lowering your standards and reading it to them, you are showing you don't believe in them. I am sure that is not your intention.

I have read your posts and you are a good teacher with a tough class. I believe these children will raise to your standards. If you feel they need a little more backround knowledge, reading the first 20 pages and then discussing it often works really well. Good luck to you.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 23, 2011

One of the points of read aloud is to read and discuss books they may not be able to read on their own; being a "low" class shouldn't stop you from reading longer books.

Favorites of my fourth graders: The Cat Pack series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, Tale of Desperaux, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Love That Dog, The Landry News

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2011

All of the above...plus my new-found fave:

The World According to Humphrey

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2011

Yes, you are right about the AR connection. That should not be my goal. I was helping them this quarter, but won't for the second, unless it just works out that way. I don't mind them taking tests if it works out, but that is not the purpose for the read aloud. Thanks for reminding me of this. I will look into these books. Thanks as always.

7. msufan

msufan Comrade

Oct 23, 2011

Stone Fox is a good low-level book; The Power of Un is a little-known but outstanding read-aloud I recommend highly as well.

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 23, 2011

Try Miss Daisy is Crazy and get them hooked on the Weird School series. They'll be able to read these books on their own if they get interested in them. They are hilarious.

9. pacrapacma

pacrapacma Rookie

Oct 23, 2011

A Week in the Woods by Andrew Clements 5.5 AR
    Call It Courage Armstrong Sperry 6.2 AR
    The Stupendous Dodgeball Fiasco Janice Repka 4.7 AR
    Wildfire Elizabeth Starr Hill 3.9 AR

I've read these books to my own picky kids, and they have held their attention. We loved them all. Read alouds can hook kids on reading. Choosing good ones is important.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 23, 2011

Don't forget about Frindle.

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2011

I don't think you need to worry about a book being "too advanced" as long as it is engaging. Instead of just reading the book, do an interactive read aloud and use the opportunity to teach comprehension and writing skills. For example, "I love the way the author wrote this sentence because..."

I've also found pairing your book with activities and non-fiction books can really help. We're currently reading Charlotte's Web and did a week long mini unit studying spiders. It has helped greatly with their comprehension of the story.

Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing is a fun choice and inspires them to read more books in the series.

12. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Oct 25, 2011

I read the Wayside School books by Louis Sachar every year (also fourth grade) and my students always love them. Often, they will get the books out of the school library to read along as I read aloud. They have gone over very well with classes that included many weaker students.
    Roald Dahl is also usually a hit, especially some of the shorter ones, such as Fantastic Mr. Fox or The Twits.