Good Quick and Dirty Quiz Apps

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 19, 2016

So I give my students quick 5 question quizzes once a week to help them figure out where they are in their learning, and what they need to work on.

We usually just do it by pulling out a piece of binder paper and writing the answers down and then correcting them as a class.

I'm thinking I might want to digitize this process, because I know some quiz apps log students previous quizzes and they can see how they did in the past and what kinds of questions they are improving on. However I don't want the process to be intensive. We do take our exams on computers, but it takes a long time to put together a test, schedule it for testing, and getting students to log in and such. I can't use that because it would take too long, and students would all need computers.

Ideally, I want an app that they can get into very quickly from their phones or can borrow a device from me to get into very quickly, and take their quiz on that device.

I also want an app that tracks student data and allows the student to view their own scores. A plus would be allowing students to view the questions they got wrong and allow me to categorize the questions so they can see their progress on specific types of questions (i.e. calculating speed questions, etc.).

I know of Socrative which seems pretty quick and dirty, but I don't know if it allows students to go back and see their previous scores and on what questions they got wrong. Are there any other apps you guys know about? (or maybe I'm wrong about Socrative, I haven't really used it much)

PoliticalFutbol likes this.
  3. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 19, 2016

I know of a handful of Socrative-like apps, almost all of which collect data for the teacher, but I'm not sure if any of them let students see their own data. I'll poke around and see though because now I'm curious!

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 19, 2016

I think Kahoot gives instant feedback on what you got right or wrong...it's a fun one to review with although I have never used it as a quiz.

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 19, 2016

Okay, I asked a few of my ed tech mentors, and the general consensus was that the only app anyone knew of that lets students see their own data is Exit Ticket. (If you go to this link and watch the Student Account vs. Teacher Account video, it walks you through exactly what's available to students. You can also tag questions with a learning target or standard which students can also use to sort their results which is very cool.) Unfortunately, Exit Ticket is in the middle of merging with/transitioning to Gooru and has temporarily halted the creation of new accounts until this summer. But something to keep in mind for next year because it sounds like it might be exactly what you're looking for. If anyone comes back with anything else, I'll let you know.

ETA: My kids *love* Kahoot - we use it with our review game - and it does create data reports that you can print out. But the students don't really have accounts so there's no way for them to look at their own data, as far as I know.

MissCeliaB and Peregrin5 like this.
  6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 19, 2016

Thanks Heather. I'll look into that. =]

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 19, 2016

You might want to check out plickers.com. I've been meaning to try it out but I've never gotten it up and running. It's like clickers (the calculator-like responders) but with paper QR-type codes, and the teacher scans the whole room with a smartphone. There's a spreadsheet that you can download to automatically store student data.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 22, 2016

Thanks otterpop!

So I checked out ExitTickets, and it actually might be exactly what I need. I only wish things weren't up in the air about it right now.

It's a little tricky to get set up, but once you do, it seems like it would be easy to implement, and keep track of data. This is better than anything my school has purchased and it's free! It even has an impressive library of pre-made questions. =]

MissCeliaB and otterpop like this.
  9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 22, 2016

My principal heard about Plickers and immediately signed my class up because she knew it would be right up my alley... I haven't used it a whole lot, but I have used it some. I plan to use it for a Science test in the next month or so.

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 22, 2016

Do you find it simple to use? I printed out the sheets but just haven't gotten it set up. Like Peregrin, I want something quick and easy, but my kids don't have phones or ipads.

11. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Feb 23, 2016

Computers would make this nice. I used to teach and digitize by going a hundred miles an hour, circulate the room with quick checks every few minutes. I put red marks or short hints on each student's paper. Every day students would take their quick-checked notes and practice problems home to use for homework. The next day, both notes and homework were turned in and graded. Daily I converted to digital grades.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  12. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 23, 2016

One of our teachers used Plickers and one of the things he mentioned is that the marketing for the app makes it look like you can just sweep your phone across your classroom and get everyone's answers at once. The reality is that you have to go up to each student's answer and let the phone recognize the QR code one at a time.

otterpop likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 24, 2016

This is the way it's supposed to work, but I was dubious about this claim as well.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 24, 2016

I found that I could swipe through the class fairly quickly. I hadn't anticipated it working that well though, as I hadn't seen the marketing. I found it easy enough to use.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 28, 2016

I have seen Plickers demonstrated and tried it myself. It is easy enough to use, but I don't think it collects and saves individual data. The kids stay engaged. I think I'd use it for review rather than grading purposes, though.