Good Pencil Sharpener??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Newto3rd, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 3, 2009

Can anyone suggest a good pencil sharpener?? It seems that I have to purchase a new one every year! Anyone know of any deals? Warranty advice?

3. Jungle

Jungle Companion

Jun 3, 2009

I have one that I got from Quill that is an ACCO. It has adjustable settings for different sized pencils. I am out for the summer, so I can't tell you the model number.... but it cost about $39.00 and it was SOO worth it! I am moving grade levels this year and made sure one for my new classroom was on my order. I had other teachers and faculty coming to my room all the time to use my pencil sharpener! It even handles colored pencils with no problems. :wow:

4. firstgraderocks

firstgraderocks Rookie

Jun 9, 2009

X-Acto school pro! The first pencil sharpener to make it through the entire school year without breaking in 6 years. It was expensive ($50), but considering I had to buy 3 cheaper pencil sharpeners last year, it was well worth it.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 9, 2009

I'm going on my 4th year with this sharpener, and I use it for colored pencils, too.

6. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

WOW! I need that one too! _Great Thread ( X-Acto school pro)

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

[​IMG]

I have this one. It is quiet and accepts many sized pencils. It's a Bostitch and was 62.00 but I got 30% off at School Specialty.

8. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 9, 2009

Woot-- I'll make that suggestion to my team leader. I also agree that if you have to spend a little extra money to get a better one that makes a lot more sense then constantly buying cheaper versions. I went through 2 of them this year and after that told the kids sorry but they'd have to deal.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

Wow that is huge! I'll fix it. LOL I can't fix it. It's pretty much life size;)

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

PS--- I do not allow my kids to use the sharpener. None of the first grade teachers do. I sharpen a ton of pencils every few mornings and all my kids have hand sharpeners that I get at the Staples penny sale.

11. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 9, 2009

I have the Bostitch Quiet Sharp. It work GREAT at first, but at the end of the year it took a long time to get the pencils sharp with it. It does still work though. I only allow a few students to use my sharpeners. I had two 3rd graders come in and sharpen for me in the mornings and a couple of my realllly good girls would in the afternoon. I guess that's the price I'll have to pay unless I want to do it!

I'll stock up on the mini hand-held sharpeners. I usually don't let them use them because of the mess. I'll just have a specific procedure for individual sharpening now.

THANKS SOOOO much!

Oh, and I went into my new classroom and we have a brand new wall pencil sharpener that works reallly well!! I might not have to spend the $$ this year.

12. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Jun 10, 2009

That is the same sharpener I had this year too. It is a great sharpener and it is still working. I agree that it works wonders on colored pencils as well. I also do not let my kids use it. I find if you keep stock of sharpened pencils it helps out. I keep a cup with sharpened pencils facing up and dull pencils erasers up where they can trade in thier dull pencils and get a new sharp one. At the end of the day I just resharpen for the next day.