good or bad sign? What to send?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by puff5655, Apr 14, 2009.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 14, 2009

So I sent in my application materials, and asked to have an interview set up at the job fair this weekend.. didn't hear back for a few days.

So I emailed yesterday, to confirm that they received my materials and reiterating my interest in the position and having an interview scheduled.

SO today I got an email back from HR, saying "Here are the emails of the principals of the schools, for the positions you are interested in. You may contact them to let them know of your extreme interest in the position."

....didn't say anything about setting up an interview?? What does this mean? It was my understanding that it would be HR and maybe board members at the job fair, not principals.

Should I send brief notes to the principals, with cover letters and resumes attached, or would that be too repetitive?

This is my DREAM position.. :wub: I really don't want to do this wrong! :unsure::help:

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Apr 14, 2009

Do you know how the job fairs are run?

Do you HAVE to make an appointment? Many are come and get in line. You might want to give the district's HR department a call for clarification.

If they sent you e-mail addresses... that isn't a no! PURSUE at will!!

I'd send the principals cover letters and resumes.

4. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Apr 14, 2009

The school can have anyone at the job fair and not all schools hold interviews at the job fair. I went with my sister to a job fair. Their school had the superintendent, assistant superintendent, a person in charge of supporting first year teachers, and a school counselor. They didn't even have HR people at the fair. Even though they are opening a new school, they did not do any interviews at the job fair. They just took resumes that they would then disperse them to the principals.

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 14, 2009

It's the Alaska Teacher's Convention- almost every district in the state attends, and they all interview right there (and most offer contracts just minutes to hours after).

I want to ask the HR person if those principals will be at the job fair, but I never know if I'm being persistant or just being buggy :)

I'm wondering if she just hasn't read my cover letter at all yet since they are probably busy this time of year (big, competitive district). I don't mention attending the job fair until the last paragraph.

I just emailed the principal for the job I am MOST interested in.. and made sure I mentioned in the first line that I will be at the fair.

I have scheduled an interview with another district ahead of time already. Maybe this one doesn't do that.

OK, it's late and I'm rambling :rolleyes:

Sorry! and thanks

I'm too stressed. :unsure: I need to get to bed.

6. palla

palla Companion

Apr 15, 2009

Is there anyone you know who works at that district? Maybe he or she could give you some insight about who will be at the fair and how things are run.

I would email the principals. Since you haven't emailed them alreaady, it wouldn't hurt. You aren't bugging the principals if you email once.

Good luck!!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

I'd email all of them and express and interest and mention you hope to meet them at the jonb fair. Send your cover letter and resume to all of them. If you only send it to the one P you are really limiting yourself. I wouldn't do that if I were you. I'd put myself out there as much as possible!!

8. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Apr 15, 2009

Well, I emailed both principals last night and have already heard back from one.

"Thank you for expressing your interest! Interviews will be scheduled in the near future." :confused:

So... I know their district is at the job fair, I'll have to talk to them there.

But I assume this means that their district doesn't interview there..

That really stinks. I'm spending over $1000 and taking a day off of work to go to this thing, and this is the "big" teachers job fair event in Alaska, where most positions are filled. Waiting around afterward to see if I might have a shot in this district would be pretty risky.

If I'm offered a decent job at the fair by another district, I think I'll feel pretty compelled to take it. :unsure:

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

I hope that things work out with you in this district, they could do initial interviews at the job fair and doing well there could get you a second interview. Good luck!