Good Ol' Boys Club

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

I've never ever been good at getting into them... but sometimes these good ol' boys are running our schools.
    We have a group of teachers that is ADORED by our Superintendent. They are the apples of his eye, his favorites, and his go-to teachers for when something needs to get done. It's not that any of the other teachers in the school COULDN'T get it done, it's just that we never get asked. I'm a little hurt by this but I'll get over it. This kind of stuff does not effect my students....
    BUT what does is when the tech guy (who is in this favorite group of teachers) picks HIS favorites. I just walked into my neighboring teachers room to see if she had gotten some books in yet, and she has a document camera sitting on her desk. She was also chosen last year to try out an ipad in her classroom. WTH!?!?!
    The tech guy KNOWS I've wanted this stuff. I'm on the technology committee (she is not) and I've brought it up every year that I've been there.

Alright, sorry, this is just a summer vent... back to work now

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 6, 2011

It stinks when principals have favorites and they're not even trying to hide it.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2011

Small time/town politics is poison in a school setting.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 6, 2011

How frustrating Learner! :sorry:

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 6, 2011

I'm just a little bummed that the cliquey stuff doesn't stop in high school :-(

7. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Jul 6, 2011

definately doesn't stop... in fact, it gets worse, since now our jobs are on the line and we can't speak up about it.

8. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 7, 2011

I don't like the cliques either. Not very conducive to a happy work environment.
    I've never really been part of a clique, and don't like the vibe that is given off from them. Who likes to be elite, anyway? :)

9. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Jul 7, 2011

I put up with the cliques to live rural.

It's a small price to pay for no crime, beautiful scenery, and a supportive interlocked community.

10. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jul 7, 2011

I'll give ya that. BUT I'm sure that if I were in a bigger school, I might not even know that people were favorites.

11. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 7, 2011

Small school, big school, the favorites are always there and always noticeable.

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 7, 2011

I've been in both and there were always favorites. I have been passed over before because I'm not one of the "favorites."

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 7, 2011

On the other hand, just because they're favorites that doesn't mean that these people get all the good things. Sometimes they are expected to do extra work. I tell you because at my school people think I'm one of the favorites but they don't see the many times I get asked to do extra work that some others don't have to do or don't want to do. Sometimes it's even overwhelming. So, when I get a little perk or special favor, I don't feel bad about it because I earned it.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2011

Just about every industry, company, business, has these situations. If you are lucky enough to get in and get the perks, then by all means. I don't consider myself a "favorite", but I have been known to get the occasional perk. At the same time, I have gotten the brunt end of a stick as well.

15. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 7, 2011

I've been in the workforce for about 20 years and worked in several different industries, and I will say that teaching/education DOES seem to be worse than other fields so far as "favorites" getting more perks, favorable schedules and so on...just an observation. I've never worked in a field where direct bosses were "buddy-buddy" with the people they supervised, or at least not in such a blatant manner.

I'll also say that some administrators are worse than others--it varies. The last couple of years were just extremely eye-opening for me, shall we say. ;)

16. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2011

The best part is when everyone not in the club thinks you are in the club and everyone in the club wants nothing to do with you.

17. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

Most teachers go from school cliques to college cliques and right into teacher cliques. Many have never had any 'real life' experience and therefore they never outgrow those cool kid cliques!!!

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2011

It's horrible. And I wasn't in the cool clique in high school and I'm not as a teacher, either. I had a friend at my last job who desperately wanted to be in the cool kids club. I remember she chaperoned a field trip to an amusement park and some of the teachers had made up tee shirts and she didn't get one. I am not sure what was more ridiculous - the fact that a few chaperones made up shirts and didn't include everyone, or that this particular teacher cared so much. But after that, we made up the U's. The U was our "circle" except the U is open so we accept everyone. lol.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2011

Despicable! Yep, things like favoritism, nepotism, etc. are all a part of the unfortunate & unfair realities of life.

Are you by any chance good friends w/ any of the "in" teachers who can demand something on your behalf or pretend it's for them & give it to you? Quietly of course. I'm not saying to make a big to-do about it. Now some people may say that's using or taking advantage, but not if the "in" teacher is willing to help you out, plus, that's the game it loos like you have to play to get anything around there. They're all playing games hoarding all the perks for themselves. :mad:

20. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

Why do people say this is just a small town thing? I certainly hope not. I worked in a big district which served 70k students and it had lots of problems with cliques and favoritism. Now I am in a small rural area and I am hoping that doesn't mean the favoritism will be worse. 30k students here so maybe it's not too small. There are a bunch of small towns that make up the district though. Very traditional culture here.

21. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jul 10, 2011

I prefer to call them brown nosers...We have them at our school and I'm definitely not a part of it.

22. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I think you may be on to something...I am grateful that I have a myriad of life experience. :D

23. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Jul 10, 2011

Better to be......

Self reliant.
    Self sufficient.
    Own your own stuff....

Never be sorry.

Life is too short. Help others and don't expect anything in return.
    And you will never be disappointed.:mellow:

TechnoMage:2cents:

24. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2011

I don't think there is anything wrong wtih favoritism. What I disagree with is if you are not within that circle, getting the negatives so to say. Its one thing to not get a perk, its another to get something bad or be looked down upon.
    I have heard many times in this world, "it is not what you know, its who you know."