Good News!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachTN, Jun 5, 2013.

1. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

There is a school in the area that lets you know what's going on in the hiring process :) The AP who interviewed me called to let me know that they have not filled the position yet due to a hiring freeze in the district. They wanted to know if I had accepted another position yet (I interviewed about 5-6 weeks ago) and that they now have two positions since another teacher resigned at the end of the year. Sounds to me like they are still interested in me. I did try to ask if this meant they wanted to hire me, but it seemed like they could not say one way or another.

Hopefully all goes well with the budget approval this month and I hear that they want to hire me for one of the positions.

3. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

WOW!!! That sounds so promising!!!! I bet you get an offer from them soon :)

4. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

That's awesome! Hope it turns into something!

5. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

Congrats! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

Sounds promising! Fingers crossed!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2013

Fingers and toes crossed!!!!

8. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

Keep hope alive!

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 5, 2013

That IS good news. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Sounds promising :)

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 5, 2013

That really does sound good!

11. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jun 5, 2013

That sounds promising! Good luck.

12. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 6, 2013

I checked the website today and noticed that their next board meeting is June 17th, so hopefully the budget passes then and the AP can call me that week. Thankfully my June summer classes start Monday and my mind will be super occupied as I work on 10 grad credits in 3 weeks. Let's hope I have some sanity left for any job in the fall after this!!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2013

Fingers and toes crossed!!!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 6, 2013

Great luck!

15. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Jun 6, 2013

Best of luck to you! :)

16. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 7, 2013

Good luck!! It sounds very promising for you!

17. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 25, 2013

PHEW! Completely exhausted with these classes I am taking this month, so have not been around. Well, my husband asked a friend that works at this school and the friend stated that if the AP contacted me, that is a very good sign because she is not one to mess around, she is pretty straight to the point. The budget DID pass last Monday, but no call yet. I called the school today and was told all the administrators are out until July 17th and she herself did not know if the position was filled yet. I am going to email and see if the AP can tell me anything since inservice starts July 24th! I am also supposed to begin a temp job on Monday (they know I am searching for a teaching position, so they understand if I leave) and would rather not start it...

Otherwise I've had a few other interviews that did not materialize and even had to turn down a few interviews, simply because I could not miss that much of my class for interviews. Had a great interview today at a school where the principal is my husband's friend from college - maybe, just once, I can have an advantage?!? Was very upset last week when a friend attended her very first interview for a teaching position and was offered the position on the spot. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled she has a position now for next year, but just devastated that I do not have one after so many interviews last year and so far this year.

Hopefully something pops up soon for me... I have applied for a few positions in higher education, just in case. At this point I want to have SOMETHING; I'm not sure if I can handle another year of substitute teaching.

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2013

I hope it all works out for you.

19. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 25, 2013

That sounds like a very good phone call to get!!!!!!!!!

20. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jun 26, 2013

Again, love this school, AP got right back to me today. While the budget passed, the entire district is required to eliminate 10 positions. She does not know if the two SS positions will be part of that or what - she cannot imagine being down two SS teachers.

I am thisclose to just giving up on teaching, definitely will if I cannot find a position this summer. It feels like principals are looking down on me for not having teaching experience yet (again, how do you get it if they don't want to give you a chance?!?) and instead going with teachers with experience, test scores to back up their ability, etc. In addition, Tennessee State Board of Education has recently voted to change the pay structure to where it is not worth it to seek higher degrees. So incredibly disgusted right now....

21. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 14, 2013

Another update... I have an interview tomorrow in higher education, the job is absolutely perfect for me since I have a LOT of experience in this area, I really should be a shoe in for the position.

This dream school of mine reposted one SS position for the school, so I emailed the AP to ask if I would need to reinterview or if they were selecting from those they previously interviewed for the position. They return from break this week, so I should hear something then.

My dilemma would be if BOTH make me an offer. There are so many pros and cons to each..

Higher Ed job is about 10 minutes from home, I would be allowed to take one free class a semester (thus finishing my Master's for only the cost of books, where'd I would have a bookstore discount), and I already know the staff from prior work in this office.

Social Studies position pays over $10K more, but is an hour drive each way, which means filling up more than once a week (even in a Prius), plus the wear and tear on my car. I would have to wake at 5am and not get home until probably 5:30pm - even later if I have after school duties plus planning/grading for next day.

I will cross that dilemma bridge when I approach it though.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2013

Good luck!!!

23. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 15, 2013

Got the official denial today for the Social Studies position, but the AP was very kind about it. She said she really wished I lived closer so that I could substitute for them. I guess I've had so many denials that it doesn't do anything to me anymore - not sure if that is good or bad.

Today's interview was amazing, I know the information inside and out and way beyond what is necessary for this position. I should know in a few weeks if I get it or not.

Worst case scenario, I have a temporary job for the summer and can always go back to substitute teaching when it ends to still earn money while seeking a position elsewhere.

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2013

Sorry about the ss position. Hope the higher ed position works out!!!

25. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Jul 31, 2013

So beyond frustration at this point. I did not get the higher ed position. I have been doing the job (call center) for the past 5 summers now, but apparently they did not want someone who has been doing the exact job they are hiring for and chose someone with call center experience in a completely different field. Again, I lose out to someone with more experience. It is incredibly awkward because I am working in this summer position knowing that my supervisor chose someone else over me, but I was the one chosen by someone on the committee.

On the plus side, the committee could find nothing that I could alter or improve with my interviewing skills. They said I am very well spoken, speak clearly, am comfortable, etc. The committee works in the same department as my husband, so they know the difficulties I have had with finding a position.

I am still interviewing for teaching positions. Some schools have started back in my area, others start back next week. While typing this message, I just received another call to interview tomorrow. My summer job supervisor/department knows that I will leave in a heartbeat if I find a teaching position, so there is no issue leaving this job.

26. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 31, 2013

I'm sorry about the other positions. That's wonderful that you just got a call for an interview, though! You're still in the game. :hugs:

27. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Jul 31, 2013

I'm so sorry to hear about the other positions. I wish you the best of luck on your interview and hope it leads to a job!:)

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

So sorry to hear about that. There has to be something out there for you, though. Good luck on this next interview. :)

29. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

Today I sent an email blast to all the middle school principals in my district. I received a reply back from one wanting to know if I could interview today! I will continue to pester them until I find a position.

Did not get the job I interviewed for on Monday. Sad, but again, getting used to the denials, so I come to expect it now. I interviewed yesterday and felt that went amazing, but have a sinking feeling that I will not get it. The interviewee before me was talking with the AP as he walked her out and I heard them discussing how the AP knows her father. Not sure if that knocks me out or if I blew them away with my knowledge, research, and life experience. Could being in my late 30s and having three HS age sons finally help me?!?!

Inservice has started in many districts here, so I'll miss out on that. I went ahead and did my TB test and got my negative result yesterday, so that at least helps the hiring process.

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Hugs and fingers crossed for you!

31. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2013

Hope you find a position soon!

32. englishteach2

englishteach2 Rookie

Aug 2, 2013

Looking Good!

Just joined here and am so happy that you are close to getting a position.

I had a heck of a time passing CBEST math. I went to the library and studied and practiced for two days prior to the test. Jammed it all into short term memory. Got a better score on CBEST math than on reading and writing---this from a person who failed math in high school, who has two degrees, both Summa, in the humanities.

I took CBEST when I was 50 years old.

It would be good to focus on that darn Math now.

Best of luck. We all look forward to hearing!

33. mom2teach

mom2teach Rookie

Aug 2, 2013

Thats great. What area are you in TN? I am north of nashville in Sumner co.

34. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

Still not close to getting a position. Feeling very depressed at this point. School starts today in some districts, inservice in others.

Of my 3 interviews last week, I heard back from two that I definitely did not get. The other interview does not seem promising since they need to fill the position immediately.

I ended up deactivating my Facebook account because I can't bear to see the excitement of friends setting up their classroom and attending their first inservice sessions. Hubby wants me to talk about my feelings, but I just keep repeating the same things I have said before.

I am not sure how I can not feel that something is wrong with me. I counted and have had over 25 interviews between last year and this year, so I know my resume and cover letter are of great quality. I have been that I interview very well and that there are no possible improvements to suggest. It must be me, but of course no one will tell me what that is - be it lack of experience (how can I get it?!?!), different coursework I can take to improve my chances, etc.

I am contemplating taking a few Economics classes this fall at a community college and trying the Econ Praxis again. I know that if I had that Econ endorsement, I would have a job with no problem since principals have told me they have a hard time finding someone with that endorsement.

35. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 5, 2013

And just got the third rejection email. Maybe McDonalds is hiring? :(

36. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2013

I'm so sorry TeachTN :( Is econ something you would be interested in teaching? If so, I say go for it!

37. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Aug 6, 2013

I would enjoy Econ, tried to take the Praxis twice, missed first time by 4 questions, missed the last time by ONE question. Of course, I have not taken Econ since my senior year in high school some *mumble* years ago :)

I have one last shot tomorrow at another interview (amazing that there is a school left around here that I have not interviewed at!!). I'm trying to do as much research as possible, the position is just listed as Middle School, so no idea what subject they are looking to fill, or whether I would teach it all because it is an overflow position.

38. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

I'm so sorry. It's not you. It sounds like it is just this crazy market. Schools can hire exactly a certain type. They can basically shop for a teacher. You could be out of this world fantastic and not get the job.

My husband was on a hiring committee recently and the person he felt was most highly qualified and really wanted to hire was turned down. Why? A few ladies on the team just didn't want him. They wanted another woman who they just liked better. My husband felt the male candidate was a better fit, and there were others that agreed with him. It just came down to a little battle on the team. Either person would have been great. Don't get down on yourself. I am struggling with this right now myself. Hang in there. It's great you have another interview!!!!! Good luck!!!!

39. breezymarie07

breezymarie07 Companion

Aug 6, 2013

I'm so sorry:( I deactivated my Facebook a couple weeks ago for that reason as well. It was just too hard, especially when I'm the only one of my circle of friends from our cohort who doesn't have a job yet.

I wish you the best of luck on your interview and hope everything works out for you!!!:)