Good News to Share & Another Question!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by spedteach, Sep 8, 2008.

1. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Just wanted to let you all know that I got offered the RSP job today! The HR lady called this afternoon and told me she had a "lovely" talk with my old principal, and then officially offered me the position.
    I am still kind of stunned and can't believe how things worked out! I wanted to say thank you again to all of you who have responded to my posts, pm'd me, sent encouraging words and were just so supportive! I felt very alone and more than a little upset with everything, and my self-esteem has been pretty low. If it weren't for you all, I don't know how I would have stayed sane! Thank you!
    Now, I'm freaking out because everything is moving so fast because school has already started and they want to get me moving. I go for fingerprints, TB Test and paperwork tomorrow. And, the thing that is worrying me and shocked me a lot is that they are sending me for a district physical!! Has anyone ever had to do this to teach????!! I never had to do more than the prints and TB for my former teaching jobs. I don't think this even sounds right...I told my mom and she didn't get it either. Is this something new and what are they looking for? I actually got sick this weekend and have a little cold and am recovering from a sore throat. Will they write me up for this?! Yeah, you can see I'm paraoid about what this is for! I'm not a "Dr." person. I am really not liking this part of it and have never heard of such a thing before, and wanted to get feedback from all of you who seem to be more up on things than me! Who knew districts could be so different? My friends who teach had never had to do this either for their districts, so I am kind of wondering why this one is doing it? I am a nervous wreck about this and hoping for some feedback! Thank you all again!

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

I had to do a physical to sub in LAUSD. It was totally routine: blood pressure, looks in the ears and throat, questions from the Dr. about any chronic illness or hospitalizations, etc. They are looking for dire conditions ... not the small stuff like a recovering cold. I'm sure you'll do fine.

4. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Congrats!!! And...you didn't have to move to another state!!!! Yeah!!! Don't sweat the physical, teachers are allowed to get sick. And you will!!! Be sure to get a flu shot this year! :party::celebrate:

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2008

Congrats to you, it's party time. I am sure the physical is just routine. Once again, I am so happy that this ordeal is over for you.

6. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

Physicals are sometimes for insurance purposes too. They want to know about any existing conditions before they hand you their insurance packet. Don't disclose any chronic illnesses or concerns. It's none of their business! Just get your routine blood work and get out of there. Never tell them about your past conditions either. They also want to make sure you are current on all immunizations. Take in your shot record if you can get it from your own doctor. It will make the process quicker. Get your hepatitis shots and any flu, chicken pox, and meningitis shots they offer. Congrats on the job!!

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008

That's all great advice that I'm going to remember for myself.

8. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Sep 8, 2008

I am so, so happy for you! I have literally been thinking about you throughout the day and hoping this would be your outcome. Congrats!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 8, 2008

Congratulations! I'm so glad that you got a job and that you don't even have to move!

10. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 8, 2008

Good lord. We don't even have TB tests. We have fingerprints and background check but that is it. I would freak if I was in your position. I can understand why you are so upset. I hope everything works out for you. Just go in their with a positive attitude.

11. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Spedteach: Congrats!!!! I am so happy for you. I wanted to share some good news myself, I just got offered a RSP position with LAUSD. I went to get my physical and TB (that I had to pay for) this afternoon and I go to do my fingerprints tomorrow. I am going to teach in a year round school so they kiddos have been there for a month now, I know what you mean about feeling overwhelmed. We should stay in touch and help each other out. Again super happy for you (and me) :D

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2008

Congrats, sped!! I know something good would come out of this!!!! I think the physical is just something routine and wouldn't sweat it.

Congrats to you too, teachinLA!!!

:celebrate:

13. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Yes, I am freaking out! I am sooo thankful and feel so blessed for this job, and I realize how incredibly lucky I am. However, I don't do doctors! LOL! I have not had health insurance for 2 years and so haven't even been to one in more than 2 years. I am so paranoid that they are going to dig and find out and I'll be in trouble or they will find something wrong and the Dr. will send the form saying something negative, and they will rescind the job offer or something! I've just never heard of this and it really seems none of their business. I am stressing out about this and feeling like the other shoe is going to drop. Also, my ears are plugged, I think I might have a little fever and my throat hurts. So, the Dr. is going to see this and maybe write that I am currently sick and can't start! Yeah, my mind is going to bad places...That's what low self-esteem and having horrible trouble finding a job will do to a person! Sad, huh?

14. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

Congrats to you, too. Yeah! Sorry you had to pay for your own tb test. I had to pay for my fingerprints. I guess it costs to be employed! :)

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 8, 2008

Congrats!!

Don't stress too much about the physical. I had to have one too and like others said, it's all very routine. I had to pee in a cup, be weighed and measured, had eyes checked, blood pressure, stand on one foot, bend and try to touch my toes (I got nowhere near them as I have zero flexibility) and a bunch of other little things. Just relax and go in with a positive attitude.

16. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Yes it does! I payed 65 dollars for the TB test, will have to pay 52 dollars for the fingerprinting and another almost 30 dollars for state paperwork! Mind you, I have NO money at all and am living off my credit cards, but it is a job and I am so grateful!

17. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I know. It's crazy! Between state tests, fingerprinting, resume paper, interview attire, gasoline, postage, etc. it's costly to find employment! Sheesh! :rolleyes:

18. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :2up:
    The silly thing is that I have health insurance but my own doctor couldn't see me until next Wednesday and I am trying to get started as soon as possible. I went to a walk in clinic and paid $95 for the physical exam and $30 for the TB test(which would only cost me only the $20 copay) :eek:oh well.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  19. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Sep 8, 2008

I actually have to do all the same things.. did the fingerprinting today, they are doing the TB shot tomorrow when I get to school and I have to go for a physical at my convenience. Sounds about the same to me.

20. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

I had to have a physical and a tb test last year. Don't fret it! Enjoy the "high" of getting an offer :)

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 9, 2008

Congrats! It must have been meant for you. I was an RSP for a yr & I need to get another RSP job soon!

I've never had to have a physcial, just the TB test & prints was the only things physical-wise.

Enjoy your year!

22. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

Congratulations!:love:

23. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

Congratulations! I can't tell you how happy i am for you!!!!!

All teachers here need physicals, TBs, and fingerprints. I'm getting my physical tomorrow. NO...sadly I don't have a job offer- but here, even subs need the full works.

Again....so VERY VERY happy for you! I know that you might be moving to different forum areas...but if you come across any wisdom you can pass on to us, jobseekers, please head back to say hi and enlighten us.

Congrats!

24. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

Wow! For that we don't have to pay at all. We go over to the high school or the county's Regional Office of Education and they do them for free. Make sure those options aren't available first. I'd even head over to the local police station and see if they do it for free. They might.

25. spedteach

spedteach Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Thanks McKenna! And I did the physical and fingerprints today and they use this place a block away and it is 52 dollars. Oh well, that is done now! I just wait for my TB test results tomorrow and for my prints to clear and I can start! She mentioned me starting on Friday, but I'd kind of like to wait until Monday as I am overwhelmed and feel unprepared. But, we will see! Thanks again for your kind words and I will still be around, for sure!

26. teachinLA

teachinLA Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Spedteach: I did the same thing today, fingerprints and hours of paper filling down at the district office. I need to take my TB test results in tomorrow. I am hoping that my fingerprints will be cleared by than, otherwise I have to go down there again to sign my contract. I am assuming I will be able to start Friday at the earliest. I was told over and over (and had to sign some paper) that I was not allowed on campus until I get cleared, so I can't even go and start to set up my classroom, oh well. Keep us posed when you start working. :)