Good News - finally!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by pmfawcett, Jun 25, 2007.

1. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

Yay! I finally got a job! I'll be working at a cyber school! I can't wait. I think this is the perfect place for me. I go to sign my paperwork tomorrow! YAY!

Thanks for all of the support and tips that I've gathered from here!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

Congratulations!

4. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jun 25, 2007

Very happy for you!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

That's great!! What will you be teaching?

6. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 25, 2007

Congrats! Very excited for you and interested to hear about the cyber school!

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 25, 2007

Great! What is a cyber school anyway???

8. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, everyone! I will be an instructional supervisor, which is essentially an academic advisor. I was an advisor at Pitt a few years ago, so this job is right up my alley. This isn't a teaching job, per se, but it does require a teaching certificate. I will have a caseload of students that I track from the time they enter the school until the time they leave. I follow their progress, make sure they are logging into school everyday, help suggest resources and future classes for them, etc. I'm really excited because the cyber school is just growing by leaps and bounds every year and there is a lot of opportunity for things such as curriculum development, virtual teaching, etc. There are so many interesting jobs all in the field of education, not just teaching, at the school, so it's really exciting and cool. I think this will be a nice balance of working in the education field, but not getting bogged down with all of the icky things that go along with teaching. The work environment seems to be really good and it seems to be a family friendly place (I've taught in some that weren't too accomodating for those with a fmily), so I'm realy looking forward to it.

I start on Monday, so I need to get my house cleaned up before I get back in the swing of working....I've been off work for over a year after having our 2nd baby.....guess I better see if I have any clothes that fit..... :)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

Sorry, I'm completely ignorant here.

How old are the students?

10. pmfawcett

pmfawcett Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

A cyber school is a charter school, so it's public, but students do all of their classes online. It is a K-12 school. The younger students have to work at home with an adult, while the older students take more responsibility for their work. THe schools provides a printer, computer, and internet connection for the students. There are a variety of curricula to choose from, so families can choose the right program for their students. Some curricula are more like a home-schooled curriculum, while others are more interactive with virtual chatrooms. SOme students used to be home schooled, but are now choosing the cyber school. SOme students used to be bullied so badly, they can't go to a regualr school, some are young parents, some are athletes training for the Olympics, or musicans/actors, etc. It's great because the school can work around the kid's schedules. THe school serves students all over the state of PA. PA has somewhere around 10-15 cyber charter schools. This seems to be a new wave in education around here.
    Here's the schools website, if you're interested: www.pacyber.org

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

Thanks for the explanation!!