Good music to play for students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sakura, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Sakura

Sakura Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

Hello everyone, I was just wondering what your experiences have been with playing music for students while they work. The guy who filled in for me played jazz and I like the idea of playing music while my students work. What are the types that work best? Obviously I am not going to play rap (can't stand it) or heavy metal. I know classical is good what about Celtic? I also love the oldies. Thanks guys :):cool:

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

If you have a Pandora account, I'd get that. My go-to-station when kids are around is based on the song "Suteki Da Ne." It gives a lot of easy listening piano music and the occasional video game song. Very few songs that have lyrics, and never anything inappropriate.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 23, 2014

Definitely stick to no lyrics, that way it's easier for them to concentrate and there are no issues with what's in the song. It can be classical, new age, piano, soft jazz, really anything that seems to calm them and help them work.
    I don't really play music anymore, but when I did, I told them I need to be able to hear the music, meaning if they do work together on something, they still have to be quiet enough (talk low)

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 23, 2014

I have used radio.fm and pandora. Most kids groan and turn on their own iPods. Usually I plan ambient music or put on NPR's 24/7 music stream.

6. live

live Companion

Feb 23, 2014

I use Pandora regularly. I've made sure my settings ban explicit content, but there are still some questionable album covers that pop up occasionally, so I always have Pandora in the background of another app. I teach 5th. What I play depends on what we're doing.

I'll play stations ranging from Kids Bop to instrumental folk to classical and everything in between occasionally. I'll throw in some instrumental hip hop. My students actually love the blues and classics too. If we've been learning about a certain culture, I'll play music based on that. The kids love the Sponge Bob station, though I only play that when we're getting packed up to go home.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2014

Instrumental covers of pop/rock songs go over really well with my middle schoolers.

8. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Feb 24, 2014

I play things I like. I play the Beatles and the Beach Boys, Some classical. My kids love what I play.

9. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Feb 24, 2014

I play what the kids like, if I can stand it. It's usually pop or country. I use Grooveshark.