Good music for playing during class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by snickydog, Jun 27, 2008.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 27, 2008

This year, I want to play soft music quietly while my students are doing different activities (reading workshop, writing workshop, etc) as a way to help transition and as a behavior cue (can't hear the music? It's too loud!). I'm looking for real gentle music that won't disturb the students or make them want to dance! Does anyone have good ideas for songs to download or CDs to buy?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

There's a series of "Music for" CDs, like "Music for Learning" - they're classical pieces along with sounds of nature. You can also get a Mozart Effect CD, which I have and is pretty nice.

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 27, 2008

I like Mozart. I find that if you look for lullabies for babies, all of theirs are wonderful classical music. My current favorite is Pachelbel and I found it in the spa section of Linens & Things.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

Coltrane
    Mingus
    Miles Davis
    U2 - Make a mix of their more melancholy songs
    Arcade Fire Funeral (Put "Wake Up" at the end of the playist, and tell them they can dance at the very end)

6. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

I play a lot of classical music, but Mozart is my favorite. I have also played instrumental easy listening cds. I play music all day long, even when I am instructing the class. If I forget to turn it on, the students remind me.

7. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jun 27, 2008

I like to play "nature sounds", like a trickling stream, birds chirping, ocean waves, etc. I get them at Wal Mart or Target. One in particular is Anzan, Reflections of Nature. It has the sound of a lute playing. They are not too distracting and are very soothing. I did have one child with ADHD though that could not listen to even that. It was too distracting for him (but then so was the clock ticking).

8. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jun 27, 2008

Jim Brickman-usually just piano music but sometimes has lyrics
    You can find it at Target and other music stores. My kids immediately relax when I play his music.

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 27, 2008

I play different relaxation CDs found from Target or Fred Meyer. I buy them when they are on sale for $7.99.

I have Celtic, Mexican, Asian, etc. I also have soft relaxation music for meditation, piano and also classical. All of them are great. I play them in the morning when the kids come into school.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2008

Kenny Loggins' Back to Pooh Corner is very calming and pretty.
    I love George Winston piano, too.

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 27, 2008

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 27, 2008

These are the COOLEST! I want to order one for a co-worker who just had a little baby yesterday! (I should call her husband and ask which she would like the best.)

I also want a couple for my classroom. I love these!!

13. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2008

gary jess

14. athena_wannabe

athena_wannabe Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

These are great! I've got one for my classroom, and the kids LOVE it! Definetely going to pick up a few more over the summer ...

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 27, 2008

I HIGHLY recommend The Unaccompanied Cello Suites. It's composed by Bach and performed by Yo-Yo Ma.

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2008

Studies have proven that playing Mozart to children (even in the womb) has beneficial effects on their learning abilities. I plan to play a number of Mozart pieces during class. Also good for "background" or soothing music is Native American flute music. I think even Wal-mart has some! Soft, non-verbal jazz is great in the classroom, as are any pieces by Brahms, oh, and I can't bring the names to mind just now. Take it from a former music major, there ARE great pieces of music for classroom use!

17. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2008

I love those rock lullabye cds... I've been wanting to play music in the background, do you think high school special ed kids are too old for it as relaxing background music?
    (They probably have never heard any of the bands except Greenday which I despise and won't get- haha)

18. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

I've heard of teachers using Gershwin, Sinatra, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Mozart, Beethoven. and Bach.

19. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2008

Enya

We went to a restaurant recently, Johnny Rockets, and all of a sudden, all of the waitresses did a dance to the Bee-Gees. I told my husband that would be a great idea to have a dance break to get the kids awake. Of course, I would teach them the expecations, etc. But I could see it happening! That's a new thing I'll add this year. Maybe to the Bee-Gees.

On Friday, we play Four Corners to kids party music. They love it.

20. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

OMG I love the Rockabye baby stuff! I am creating my own mix of my favorites I Itunes right now!

:) Ems

21. slinkytoy

slinkytoy Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

On holidays I play holiday music. I always play instrumental only. It fits into the background better.

22. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 28, 2008

The "Russian Romantics" are great. These are Russian composers during the Romantic era of music. Some names are common, like Dvorak (new world symphony, though he wrote tons of other stuff and czech, not russian, but close enough) and Tchaicovsky (sp) but others are not so well know, but just as fabulous. My personal fave is Alexandr Borodin (In the steppes of Central Asia gets my vote). Other composers of the era are: Glinkov, Rachmaninoff, mussorgsky, Rimskey-Korsakav and smetna (also czech).

Anyway, I love the music from this era and area. It's very soothing, yet in no way boring, and lots of people have never heard it, so it's interesting and new.

23. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

leave the music in music class Not every kid can work with music playing. Plus it leads to conflicts over what to listen to, then, with older kids, it leads to "well, since we listen to music, can we listen to our iPods?"

Opens up a can of worms that is unecessary.

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 28, 2008

I have been using music in my class for the last 4 years. I put the music on, and I have never had an issue of the students wanting to listen to something else or them wanting to listen to "their" music. Please give your students a chance to have the music on rather than deciding that it will open up "a can of worms that is unnecessary"! I find my class works quieter and better when the music is on.

I do agree that not all students can work while music is playing which is all the more reason to choose your music wisely and to use it as background "music". I myself find it hard to work with music with singing in it. I have had a few students ask if they could work in the hall, which I do allow.

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2008

I love playing music! My kids really love listening to my mix cd of Dave Koz (jazz). I also play the relaxation cd's and nature cd's. During the different holidays, I'll play songs related to that holiday such as the winter holidays or patriotic songs around Veterans Day and Memorial Day. The kids love it, and I feel like it helps them to relax and stay focused. :) It certainly doesn't open up a can of worms in my class!

26. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

I always play music during tests and independent work times. The children love it. I keep it low, and instrumental. In addition to the classical mentioned, I love saxophone music - Kenny G and Mindi Abair, but instrumentals only.

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 29, 2008

The only problem I had with a student this year was whenever he would hear a violin being played he would stand up and pretend to play the violin or sometimes he would stand up pretending to be the conductor :p. I used his love of "pretend play" to get him to finish his work so that he could stand in front of the CD player to play the violin or lead the orchestra.

28. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 29, 2008

Holidays- Manheim Steamroller, Kenny G

Anytime- Mozart

May- Beach Boys

29. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 29, 2008

I definitely plan to play music during morning work this year, but I'm wondering about the first day - too much? Should I skip it the first week?

I'm going to burn CDs from my iTunes collection today. I really think music helps with concentration. I have about 300+ songs that I downloaded specifically for schoolwork (while I was in undergrad). I can recall countless times where I had all my favorite classical on in the background. I'd be struggling with something and getting frustrated...then the song would change, my mind would clear, and I'd smile at the power of music :) I'm serious!

30. Tenured

Tenured Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

we are not allowed to let students that are our responsibility go out of our site to work whether it's for behavior reasons they are in the hall, or wanting to be able to get work done.

The 24 are less affected by no music playing than the 1 is by music playing

31. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 29, 2008

Oh, I would definitely do it the first day and all along. Getting the kids used to procedures is best when you start right at the beginning. One time I forgot to put the music on and the kids reminded me.

If you are doing some math, I found on itunes the perfect album "Hip Hop Songs for Learning" It's very rhythmical and the kids loved it to count to 100 and skip counting.

We also had some times during the day when the kids got really antsy, so I'd put on a dance song (YMCA, Cha Cha Slide, Hokey Pokey, etc.) and we'd do one or two dances, then everyone would get back to work. It's an adaptation of some of the Brain Gym exercises and research-based, so no one should have a problem with you doing it.

32. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

Another really good one I found on Itunes was Rockin the Standards. It is very cool math songs for upper grades. I can't wait to use it next year!!

:) Ems

33. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2008

Thanks for reminding me of these great guys :p I am starting on my lesson plans for my AP Euro and really need to incoporate music from all time periods and era. So thanks for the help - :)

34. Mr. D.

Mr. D. Rookie

Jun 29, 2008

My kids beg for The Lord of The Rings soundtrack.

35. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 29, 2008

Glad to be of service :) I actually love the Romantic era (1825-1900) in general, but the russians are my faves by far.

36. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jun 29, 2008

I play music all the time. My favorite is a cheapie spa collections cd from walmart. The first song is instrumental (they're all instrumental) Ain't no mountain high enough.

They like the Curious George sounndtrack, elmopalloza for indoor recess. Kenny G, Trans-Siberian Orch. at Christmas time

37. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 29, 2008

Personally, I like to turn on some Metallica with a bit of Nirvana thrown in there...

38. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

I play music for my students. When we are doing group work I play the radio-to cure the "but what abouts" I will play one station for one period then the next period play the other one. I've played 'music without words' a few times as well. The first time I did that, my freshman came in going..are you okay? But after the first 2 minutes of "HUH?!?" they 'forgot' about it and went about their work. One student even said you know what Ms A..you are right this is relaxing music. I make it clear-no ipods, no mp3 players. Its the music on the radio, my cds or none at all. They'll usually agree for any music and hush up

39. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Try www.pandora.com. It's a free radio website that allows you to customize your stations. Just type in one or two artists you like and it finds music similar to them. I did Colbie Caillat and got tons of soft, but popular music the kids and I both love.

40. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

Ooh, good thread!

If you have internet access, I like itunes radio. Under Classical, I play the Piano Whisperings station. Most of the music is calm and peaceful and there are no words. This seems to be a good combo for my kids.

41. Laini

Laini Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

I bought a Spanish Guitar CD from the Dollar Store. Very relaxing. They also had Classical, Nature Sounds, etc.