GOOD LUCK McKenna!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JaimeMarie, Aug 20, 2009.

1. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 20, 2009

I hope you hear some good news. 6th grade is great, it's a fun year. You are aware of your areas of weakness, which is the first step in conquering them! Just know that if you get that position you have a P and other staff members that you can count on! And I love that you were HONEST during your interview. If you have a choice, go for the 6th position!

2. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 20, 2009

Hope you hear about the 6th grade position tomorrow. I guess the general consensus is that WE think you are a teacher. WE think you are going to rock at 6th grade. WE think you will love your new position. You WILL be challenged. You WILL be fine. We just need the P to hurry up and call and offer you the J-O-B!

3. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

I teach 6th grade and had VERY VERY little experience working with the age.... but I LOVE IT!! They are great you can do so much with them and for the most part they still listen and want to do the activities I plan.

They are really not that scary! If you get it take it , I think you might like it! :) good luck!!!

4. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

Let you eat cake McKenna.
    Screw them if they don't get you. You deserve that cake.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

I was almost moved last year from K to 6th so spent a lot of time talking to 6th grade teachers and visiting their classrooms. They are not what you think! They are smart and fun and still very young! The teachers told me "6th grade is the best kept secret" It is the easiest to teach. You delegate all the work to them, they love having jobs, and you are mostly monitoring them as they learn. As far as the diverse school, that is what I'm used to! I taught Head Start so many years, and usually had only minorities, and maybe one or two non-minority white kids in my class. They are all just kids. They are all adorable.
    A diverse class is more interesting, they learn a lot from each other. Just wanted to say good luck and I'm hoping you get the classroom teacher job! You'd be great!

6. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Best wishes and I hope you get the right call today.

7. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

Good luck! I hope you get calls from both today!

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 21, 2009

ATTENTION ALL P'S READING THIS FORUM! Please put the job applicants out of their misery and give them a call. I know you would like to give them all a job, but PLEASE at least give them a call in a timely manner!:rolleyes:

McKenna - Why don't you get your admin. degree then YOU could make the calls!:mad: Sorry. Just feeling your frustration!:) I am back now.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

McKenna--didn't have internet yesterday, so didn't see all of this until now. Like others, I'm keeping everything crossed. I used to be "scared" of kids older than grade 5, now I love grade 8! Moving out of your comfort zone is a good thing, and you know you'll have lots of support here.

The demographics of the second school sound very similar to mine (except for the % breakdown as we don't have the hispanic population). I love the richness of the culturaly diverse community.

10. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 21, 2009

McKenna, I'm in IL. I actually live in the NW suburbs but work for CPS. Could you PM the districts you interviewed with? Just curious from reading your posts. If you prefer not to, I understand.

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Thank you, one and all, for this massive amount of support. Today is the day! Good or bad, I'll find out today.

In the past, I HAVE taught kids up to 8th grade. I remember 6th graders. i enjoyed them a lot. But i think it's the combo of not knowing the curriculum, always figuring that 5th was as high as i would go with this elementary certificate...and just general anticipation and nervousness of the unknown that is getting to me.

Reading further about the demographics, they say that a little over 30% of the students come from impoverished households.

While doing my Lang Arts methods class (a masters leveled class)...I wrote a full novel unit on Maniac Magee directly FOR a sixth grade. I would love to NOW put it to work. The unit includes life lessons taken from the book in conflict resolution, respect for the elderly, and giving back to the community (service beyond self).

Now to think of having kids who very well might need charity THEMSELVES do community service projects... well...it puts a totally different spin on things.

12. mykids1

mykids1 Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

McKenna - Good luck!!!!!

13. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

McKenna, isn't this waiting a killer? I'm waiting to hear back about the 2nd grade interim today. I've already called the school to find out a decision had been made. The P either would say to the secretary or hadn't made up her mind yet. They took my name and number (don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing). The P wanted to have someone named by today so that s/he could be in the classroom starting Monday. As a new teacher, I want to plan, look at the room, etc. I'm so anxious! I hope you hear something soon! :)

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

YES, a killer!

I WANT to consider what I'm to do with either a 6th grade EVERYTHING ...or start to look in various books (levels throughout the 1-6 spectrum) and begin considering units on them. The thing WITH the 3rd job would be that..there wouldn't be the rush-since...what DO reading aides do in the first week of school...when assessments haven't been given yet?

But on the other hand... If I START into ANY of it... I'll drive MYSELF mad. that I can't and SHOULDN"T be planning things. I don't want to have things ready to go and then hear that it's no.

Hmmm.... to clean or ... no, I should clean (and watch my phone)!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

Go to the mall and hit the back to school sales. Just be sure your answering machine is on.

16. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Oh Aliceacc brings up a good point. The other day when I had those back to back interviews, I put my home phone to call fwding to my cell. :) I'm cleaning because my mother in law is coming into town tonight and will be staying with us. You should see me when I'm vacuuming. I have my cell in my pocket and my house phone within eyesight but I don't trust that I'll hear either so I stop and listen every few minutes. I even have my cell on vibrate and I keep pulling it out of my pocket in case I don't feel it! LOL! At tihs rate, my house won't be clean by the time she comes.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

What is this "clean house" of which you speak???

18. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

Ha!!! Keep us posted!!!

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

tick tick tick tick....

is this NOT the slowest most nerve-racking day!?!?!

(And could they POSSIBLY have ANYTHING else to do at this point of the year than to approve my employment? :p)

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

McKenna and L8ybugmom, hoping you hear great news today.
    I know what you mean about freaking out not knowing where you will teach or what grade. I just tell myself I will have time to freak after I find out what grade. Thank goodness for the teacher editions, especially for a first year in a new grade level, they help you learn the curriculum. Many teachers I talk to said they used them almost exclusively the first year in a new grade level.

21. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

on pins and needles!

just have to say I am on pins and needles waiting to see a post from you...:hugs:

22. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Weirdness.....

I ran to my mailbox.. the 6th grade position asst principal called. Message: "call me at this number XXXXXXXXX..I would like to talk to you about the position" (don't get excited - I got a call like this before and it was a rejection that they didn't want to leave on voice mail).

Called... this number is not in operation - leave a message.

Left a message. Hour later nothing.

Tried call again. same message.

Notice the number that the call CAME from is not the same. Called THAT number. It's a number from a person (not the asst principal) that i never heard of...didn't leave a number on that voice mail.

Call the school. She's not here - she is at another school in the distrcit. Call there and ask for her.

Called the other school. She left 15 minutes ago.

Call back to THE school. They aren't sure if she is heading back or out. Since I don' have a number that is "connecting" could someone let her know that I am calling? (Seems like SO much to ask a secretary if i am NOT the teacher...and I feel terrible about it...but time IS of the essence!)

So...waiting again.. with no clue.

My ex has called twice this afternoon for other reasons. He KNOWS I am waiting for calls (I don't think he is trying to be mean - for a change...but, typically, he's just not thinking ANYTHING is more important than HIM)

But on the second call i said... "You know...your killing me with these calls, right?"

"ooops... sorry." (He says...as he and the girlfirend are leaving on yet ANOTHER vacation)

ARRRGG waiting ...waiting... waiting

BTW... nothing from interview #1 or #3.

#1...not even expecting a call...considering the guy never called me the first time i interviewed with him in April

#3... Said she WOULD make a decision and call (one way or the other) by the end of the day... "BUT, considering how crazy it is at this time of year...I can't guarantee WHEN the end of the day might be."

Waiting...

23. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Ugggggghhhhhhhhh....I feel your frustration. I think I might call the school back and leave a message for her with the secretary. Explain the situation and maybe just maybe she'll be nice enough to call the P or AP on their personal cell? I'm still waiting too. Doesn't look good for me. IMO.

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

omg! That's crazy! Hope you find that woman soon! :)

25. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Actually... thinking it through...it doesn't sound good for the 6th grade position.

If the school knows this is going on...but not sure IF she will be back in... but if i DO have the job....Don't you think SOMEONE there would want to talk to me? (Get the principal or SOMEONE to say...you've got it...dang it, get in here FAST and get these teacher's manuals!!

Being negative , yes...but i would rather NOT think for the best and NOT be disappointed...than to think I've got it and be some what shattered.

26. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

email her!!!

Dear Ms. Iknowyouaregoingtohireme,

Thank you for the phone call regarding the position. I have tried to get back in touch with you, however, it seems that the number that was left on my machine...blah blah.. I know time is of the essence and I would love to talk to you about the position. blah blah...

point....emial her!!

:dizzy:

27. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Good idea! Email her! :)

28. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

E-mail wouldn't work... she is new and the e-mail isn't set up.

THEN just got a call...someone looking for a Bridget...(no-one here by that name.)

Hang up... then thought...was that HER looking for a bridget and eventually me as well? call the number -no answer...but her voice mail.

Sheesh...now I KNOW that with all of this it IS a no.

She calls back.. sorry the secretary gave her the wrong number (blah blah blah...yeah SAY IT!)

They decided to go with another candidate.

(she goes on...but thank you for taking the time....and I'm not listening)

Thank you for the opportunity. Have a nice day

*click* ... enough sweating about 6th grade.

Wondering how principal #3 is doing.... and thinking about how I will word the substitute flyer that i will stuff into the teachers' boxes on Monday.

I mentioned about the possibility of blowing 3 in a row...and now I may just about know what it feels like.

If that be the case...this very might well make me start to consider another field.

I can teach...but obviously interviewing is a hurdle I just can't jump over.

29. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

:hugs: I'm so sorry McKenna. You are worthy! You are great! You are wonderful! I know that someone will see it. :hugs::hugs:

30. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

I'm so sorry. The right job is out there for you--it just hasn't found you yet.

31. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 21, 2009

sorry about your day. I had 2 interviews in 1 day and then 2 interviews in the same week and i thought for sure that i would get 1 of them, but obviously i didn't or i wouldn't be on the job seekers board. Good luck

32. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

:hugs:Postive thinking but if you did blow three in a row...you are in good company...I actually think I blew 4 in a row. No word from the P that said to her secretary to take a message earlier today (it is after 4:00 ct). You know she said if I didn't hear anything by Wed that she went with someone else. Well I was called back for a second interview (she had also mentioned she would narrow to 3 to come back for the 2nd). Well I understand she wouldn't want to call 10 or 15 people to let them know they didn't get the job but 2? Rude is all I can say! I'm sorry McKenna to vent on your thread. Oh well...I'm not sad over this one...just mad. Oh well...now I have to figure out what to do now.

Hang in there...maybe the P for #3 was busy and you'll hear something over the weekend or on Monday! :)

33. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 21, 2009

sending positive thoughts. . .

somehow I blew the three I had on monday interviews.

I had 5 interviews this week and no job :eek:

Here is to hoping all of us will get that call!

34. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

I'm sorry McKenna. :hugs:

35. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

I'm sorry

36. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2009

Sorry you got bad news.

If you really feel that you aren't interviewing well (and in this job market, I don't know that you can really draw that conclusion just because of these interviews), maybe you should find an interview coach. Perhaps your alma mater will still give you access to their career center. Again, if you feel it is an issue--I'm not saying it is!

37. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 21, 2009

Yeah, it feels like it is almost better to be over-looked than looked over.

38. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2009

I'm so sorry McKenna. I like the way Mrs.C put it...the right job just hasn't found you yet.

39. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 21, 2009

Just wanted to add something else....McKenna, it may not be the way you interview or anything like that. Could be someone with more experience, etc. It is just tough right now because there are so many qualified people wanting a teaching job. Now is not the time to give up. Believe me like I've said before I know where you are coming from. I may have to look elsewhere to find a job for now but I'll be gosh darn it if I'll give up after working so hard for that degree. You shouldn't either! Chin up, my friend...These positions that we didn't get were not for us. Maybe the next one will be. :)

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 21, 2009

I'm coming to this thread late and I was sure hoping after reading EIGHT pages very carefully that I would see the answer I was waiting for. Uggh..pins and needles...the wait...oh my!

Good Luck!