GOOD LUCK McKenna!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JaimeMarie, Aug 20, 2009.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 20, 2009

I hope you land all three jobs! But I have a feeling you will get the 6th grade position!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

Good luck!

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

JaimeMarie, you beat me to this!!! I was just about to start a thread wishing McKenna good luck! :)

Good Luck, McKenna! Knock 'em Dead!!! :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

Let's see a triple-play of job offers!!

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

I don't know about that.

I have been studying mainly 6th grade classroom managment and math... and then the regular answers.

Just REALLY nervous this time.

I have my maps set. The tihgt one will be the 9:40 to the 11:00 one...but on the map they are only 5 minutes apart.

MY hope is that, being so late, that they have checked out my references first (it sounded as if the thrid one had).

Ok...have to go get ready.

(bites nails)

7. Simba

Simba Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

Keep us posted!!!

8. MsManda3

MsManda3 Rookie

Aug 20, 2009

Good luck, good luck, good luck!! :D

9. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Aug 20, 2009

I hope all of your interviews go great

10. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

Just keep thinking how lucky they will be to get you, not the other way around.
    As the fish says in Finding Nemo, "just keep swimming, just keep swiimming."

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

Good luck! Don't be nervous. Relax and show them the best you that you can.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

GOOOOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

I have faith that something good is about to happen!

I just love Dory, sometimes I have a few of her characteristics. Only thing is I sure am getting tired of swimming :dizzy:

14. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

I'm crossing everything for you McKenna! One of these has to be YOUR job. :)

15. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Good Luck!

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Ok...stopping by a library while I wait for the third.

The first,....eh, not going to get that. I realize that I DID interview with this principal in the spring. He wasn't interested then...and wasn't this time either. I'm not even sure he got back to me the first time.

Anyway...

The second...the sixth grade...I thought went pretty well. I got along with them, for sure. And when they spoke about working with a diverse student population I DID have to admit I didn't have a LOT of experience...most schools i have been involved with were pretty white-bread suburban. But that I DID take a multi-cultural children't lit class in college, and feel prepared to bring diversity into the classroom via literature.

So... i don't know. The first DID talk about the job in the first person (not the JOB is this...but. YOU would be doing this). The second DID acknowledge the HUGE rush to be ready for kids by Tuesday (monday is actually a institute day). And when I motioned to the one 6th grade teacher about not having a room that is as complete as the others on the team...she laughed and said... oh, don't look at MY room-it's FAR from ready!

So here I sit. two more hours.

I may take a SHORT nap in the car and then visit the neighborhood teacher's store.

Chat LATER!

17. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Who cares about the first one? You're getting the second one!!!!!

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Oh...and to Alice.

The 6th grade teacher says... we teach from this one program curriculum which is NOT the normal 6th grade math-but a more ADVANCED math. Tell us about your strengths in THIS area.

And I nearly choked. But said something about ... I dont' even KNOW. Maybe about working with the struggling students to rise up to the level of an advanced curriculum.

But...if I get it...YOU MUST HELP ME!!!! :rolleyes:

19. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 20, 2009

I'm glad that your interview for the sixth grade went well! I hope you get a call offering you the position!

20. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Sounds good, McKenna! Good luck on the next one and I can't wait to hear about the 3 OFFERS and how you have help in choosing! :) Putting the bubbly in the fridge for ya now.....

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 20, 2009

Sounds like things went well so far!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

Count on it.

But in my experience, kids who rush their way to do high school math in middle school end up not knowing middle school math well in high school.

23. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Ok...back from the third. *I* thought it went well...but you know, if they aren't AWFUL the panelists ALWAYS ACT as if you are doing great.

This was with a principal alone..and a bit more lengthy than most assistant interviews. It DOES sound like I would be going from team to team teaching their at level or beyond level reading groups while the classroom teacher works with the lower groups. Sounds good to me.

This school (though in the same district...understand this is a HUGE district...taking up 4 towns and having 22 elementary schools) is in a MUCH more upper-class neighborhood than the 6th grade school. (I am not even considering the 3/4 split..because I don't think that was positive; judging from the principal's disinterest.)

All of them told me that they will be informing me sometime tomorrow (this one said by the end of the day). So you know what? It's out of my hands. Strangely...I'm at peace. Maybe I'll be pulling my hair out tomorrow (one way or another)...but tonight.. there's nothing i can do, so I'm calm.

I DID stop by the teacher store inbetween... and considered simply the SET-UP of a 6th grade. And it blows my mind. Too much to consider-not enough to know about. So... hmmmmm.

Looking forward to Project Runway tonight!

24. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

Sounds like it went great! If one of them was meant to be yours, you'll know soon! Good job!! :)

25. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2009

Keeping fingers crossed for you. And the good news is that you'll know either way very soon since school is starting and they can't possibly drag their feet.

26. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

BTW... last night, after studying for the interviews, I thought I would celebrate the opportunities with a slice of cheesecake (from the neighborhood Cheesecake Factory - Banana Cream Cheesecake is my favorite!).

I fought off the inner-voice that wanted to smack me and say... celebrations are for the VICTOR, not the upcoming participant. And walked in to place my order.

(Might I say at this moment...i HATE snooty hostesses, sprtizer girls in the fancy stores, and folks who are hoping to sign up well to do clients at the banks... when they give you a SIDE GLANCE...and determine that you are just not GOOD ENOUGH or have POTENTIAL enough for them to bother with!)

So I go up to the cheesecake counter and see that a SLICE of my beloved cake is.... SEVEN DOLLARS????????

MY WORD! i haven't been to Cheesecake Factory since before my ex left (it used to be one of our favorite places). That slice MIGHT be a celebration AFTER my first teaching paycheck at THIS point!

27. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2009

Oh yeah, you pay dearly both in price and calories for a slice from the Cheesecake Factory! But dang, they do have some good ones! I'm personally a big fan of various chocolate ones, especially chocolate raspberry.

28. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 20, 2009

McKenna- Hope you hear something soon. Are these all assistant jobs or is the 6th grade a teaching position? I am unclear. I hope you get 3 offers and you have to make a choice. Let's have some fun... if you had to choose, which one would you choose?:):):) Thinking those positive thoughts just for you!

29. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 20, 2009

I'm out of the loop, school started for me two weeks ago and we got kids yesterday, BUT, McKennaL, think positive!!!!

30. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Aug 20, 2009

*crosses all crossables* Hopefully you'll soon have three offers to consider! *grins* Sure sounds good!

31. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

Glad it sounds like they went well.

RE cheesecake: Barnes & Noble sells several flavors of the Cheesecake Factory cheesecake. I don't remember when I last got any (I sometimes buy my mom a slice), but I think it is around $3.50 or $4. Certainly not $7. And Costco sells ENTIRE cheesecakes for $10-15 depending on plain or mixed flavors. They are presliced and in the freezer section so you have no excuse to eat it all at once. :lol:

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

Crossing all digits for you!!

33. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Recapping:

*The first position is a "Gen. Ed. Instructional Assistant" It would be mostly in a multi-age 3rd/4th grade classroom. This school is starting their 1st year of having multi-age classes with ALL THREE of the 3rds and 4ths going multi-age. (strange- when many are leaving the concept).

The principal was one that i met at an interview in his building (at that point for a fifth grade position). At that point he didn't seem interested, nor did he this time. Neither he, nor the one teacher had prepared questions in front of them. I am not sure he asked anything beyond tell us about yourself (oh yes...one question about differentiation). She then picked things off my resume and asked me to explain them further. When she was done-he said...I have no other questions...and I was out of there within 30 minutes. the principal DID refer to the job as YOU would do this and that (not THE JOB entails one to...).

*The second was for a full-time sixth grade position. The school, though in the same district as the others, is a much more diverse and is much lower on the socio-economic scale. There was a paper in the lobby of the office talking about -if your family is hard hit with the recession-speak to the social worker, get a voucher, and then you may choose clothes from the community closet (clothes donated by other families in the district). This is not a flyer you would expect to see in either of the other two schools.

This interview was in front of a panel. P,AP, SPED, and one 6th grade teacher. I thought it went rather well. thinking back-sure you think of things you COULD have said. I admitted that I hadn't had experience in a truly diverse shool before...but I SHOULD have said that I would celebrate diversity through (at least) our choices of literature (ex: bios of strong people in a mix reflective of my class) and social studies. the interview went on for about 50 minutes (same as the one before me...I got there very early and say her go in-while I sat in my car and reviewed)..it did NOT include a tour of the school (again-neither did the one before). There was a candidate after me...both before me and after me were much younger candidates...but they liked that I could add a parenting perspective.

* The third was with a principal only. The neighborhood was the most upper-class of the three...and for an Gen Ed Assistant interview - it was rather long with 2 full pages of questions. This principal pushed for real life examples to support my answers...some I gave straight...some were combinations of students I had worked with all under the name of one (to fill in for my limited gen ed experience).

The job would entail me working throughout the day teaching guided reading to at and beyond level groups grades 1-6. I love guided reading, and would like to get my masters in literacy education-so this is up my alley.

Unless there is something I don't know about, #1 & #3 would pay only 15,500 but have AT LEAST health insurance.

My choice? Well #1 is out...I can nearly guarantee that. So between #2 and #3. I like #3-but I realize that is the safe choice...and maybe the cowardly one. I could do a sensational job...but it isn' as much a challenge. #2 would be a challenge...and I am scared ***less of pulling it off...and so soon!

I've worked with 6th graders a number of times before...but not in a gen ed situation. THAT doesn't scare me. It's the traveling into unchartered curriculum territory...and coming on confident at the beginning (first impressions) when i won't have time to prepare much if ANYTHING. If I come off scared at the beginning...I could be like an injured fish in a tank with sharks.

My inner voice is saying you can't handle it...but I know that's the chicken in me.

Since this is my own thread and I am writing this out to also get it off my soul, i'm going to quote a Christian song that is continually running through my head right now:

Oh what I would do to have
    The kind of faith it takes
    To climb out of this boat I'm in
    Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
    Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
    And He's holding out His hand

But the waves are calling out my name
    And they laugh at me
    Reminding me of all the times
    I've tried before and failed
    The waves they keep on telling me
    Time and time again. "Girl, you'll never win!"
    "You'll never win!"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
    The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
    The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
    Out of all the voices calling out to me
    I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

Oh what I would do to have
    The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
    With just a sling and a stone
    Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
    Shaking in their armor
    Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out my name
    And he laughs at me
    Reminding me of all the times
    I've tried before and failed
    The giant keeps on telling me
    Time and time again. "Girl, you'll never win!"
    "You'll never win!"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story

But the stone was just the right size
    To put the giant on the ground
    And the waves they don't seem so high
    From on top of them lookin' down
    I will soar with the wings of eagles
    When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
    Singing over me

The voice of truth tells me a different story

-- McKenna

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

McKenna, those big scary 6th graders are 11 year olds like my son. They have to ask permission to have a cookie before dinner. They aren't allowed to wear makeup or touch the stove or to stay home alone for extended periods of time. That parenting perspective you speak of is HUGE!!!

If offered the job, TAKE IT!!!!

You CAN do this!!!!!

35. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2009

Alice always puts things in the proper perspective. :lol:

36. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009

Even the high schoolers are running around insecure and scared most of the time (invisible audience--they think EVERYONE is looking and judging them). They just learn to hide it with clothing, makeup, and attitude. And the high schoolers who love attention, those are the ones who feel like nothing unless others ARE watching. They don't exist without their audience. KIDS! They used to scare me too when I first decided to become a teacher. They're just all cute to me now.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2009

Yep, Zoe. I give that same speech to people hesitant about teaching Seniors. (They can't vote, they can't drink [legally, anyway], many have never been on a plane alone....]

38. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 20, 2009

You can definitely teach 6th grade McKenna! I am really hoping that's the one you're offered tomorrow and you had better give them a YES when they do!!

39. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

Isn't it something?... only NOW I have a chance to read about this school... HOLY COW!

VERY VERY diverse! 35 different languages are covered in the school? 34% white, 30% hispanic, 17% afro ameircan, 19% asian/indian. Blue-collar, middle to low income (seemed to me to be more low than middle)...I HAVE worked in a migrant farm community before.. this is even quite a jump form THAT
    Of 22 elementary schools in the district they - up to two years ago - were the lowest in academic achievement. Over the last 2 years though (and after changing their whole approach to teaching including RtI) they have jumped nearly 20 academic points.

(Due to this massive move- the principal was HIGHLY awarded and moved to Asst Superintendent of the district)

Huh

40. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 20, 2009

McKenna, you can do anything you put your mind to do. AND You CAN do this! Believe in yourself the way WE believe in you! :) Good luck and keep us posted!

41. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 20, 2009

Hoping you hear good news!