good lesson on transitions

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by laceyk, Oct 12, 2006.

1. laceyk

laceyk New Member

Oct 12, 2006

I am completing a fieldwork practicum in a self contained prek class with children on the autistic spectrum. I need to prepare a lesson (which I will be observed by a professor) to at least 2 children - as it is difficult and inappropriate to give a group lesson to most of these children. I was thinking of doing a lesson to help some children deal with transitions easier, as this is very difficult for them. Any ideas? I though of the possibility of taking pictures of them doing different activities and binding the pictures into a book that we can read. I would love any additional ideas! thank you!

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Oct 12, 2006

I'd recommend reading up (if you haven't already) on social stories, as that is largely what you are proposing. My only concern for your observation is that professors usually look for some sort of guided practice or independent practce, which reading a social story likely wouldn't involve. Will you incorporate some kind of written or hands-on work (besides reading/listening/look at the book)? I'm just wondering what your professor is expecting to see.

But I like the book idea--will probably be very motivating and may indeed help with transitions.

4. laceyk

laceyk New Member

Oct 12, 2006

My goal would be for the two higher functioning children (one who is ADHD and the other has Aproxia) to tell me what is happening in the pictures, where the picture takes place, what he is doing in the picture, using as much language as he is capable. As far as independent work, i 'm not sure - maybe if I can create a matching game of matching a clip art of an activity and an actual photo of a child doing that activity. How does that sound?

5. laceyk

laceyk New Member

Oct 12, 2006

thanks. I will definitely read up on social stories!