Good Florida chapter books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teal, Jul 11, 2007.

1. teal

teal Rookie

Jul 11, 2007

Since fourth grade in Florida is about Florida I want to make social studies tie into reading....I was wondering if anyone has used the chapter books: Strawberry Girl, Night Bird, Deadly Water or A Land Remembered before. Also are there any other suggestions for books to use?? or any neat activities you have done with these books?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 11, 2007

Because of Winn Dixie

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2007

OONAWASSEE SUMMER. Hands-down, it is intriguing. :) Two years of reading it to fourth grade, and they were on the edge of their seats each time.

Each students can make a field guide of the animals mentioned in the book. The book I recommended is full of Florida's animals and has a lot of information about how life is along the river in Florida. It is a thriller about a 30-year old alligator lurking under the water- and focuses on a 12-year old girl and her cousin who are residing at a relative's house for the summer.

5. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Carl Hiaasen the author of Hoot and Flushed, I believe writes about Florida... My kids loved Hoot!

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2007

Hoot takes place in Florida; am I wrong?

Oh, I heard that there is a story written about Tarpon Springs as well as other stories written by the author of Writing Whizardry (a great book full of intriguing mini-lessons that is a must for 4th grade teachers in my opinion)- Maity (here we go for a spelling blunder x 7,652) Schrengost (sp?!?!??????).

7. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 12, 2007

yes, it did take place in fla

8. teal

teal Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Thank you for all the ideas....I hate our Basal (we are up for adoption this coming year) and wanted to go more towards whole group literature with a move to literature circles the second half. I didn't realize that OONAWASSEE SUMMER is a Melissa Forney book. Maity Schrecengost (I looked up the spelling)....I guess she is a lot like Melissa Forney. She has a few Florida books.
    I am finding that the kids have a better understanding of what it was like in Florida years ago when they read about it.
    Off topic: My school is about 8 miles if that to the beach...you wouldn't believe how many have not been to the beach or the river. We lucked out with an Elmo and a projector next year so now I can bring these experience to them. I love been able to pull up lots of sites with pictures and videos to help support the background that these students lack about their own coast or city.
    Thanks again for all your help.